Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: March 18th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Portland Trailblazers - 17-23

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Can anyone tell me why they wouldn’t draft Cam Thomas? The kid is amazing.
    Draft is wildly deep

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    If Zion doesn't develop a more well rounded game, then his ceiling is Giannis
    Ummm... Is that like a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    It's not, but it's not top 18 all time which I think his full ceiling is

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    It's not, but it's not top 18 all time which I think his full ceiling is
    Huh... Top 18 of all time... Who cares. If he's the best player in the NBA for 4-5 years. I'll take it. Top all time is clout chasing rhetoric.

LeBron might be out a week with injury. Laker without AD and LeBron, but way too many wins to really fall out to 7th.
    Last edited by Taker597; 03-20-2021 at 06:19 PM.

Huh... Top 18 of all time... Who cares. If he's the best player in the NBA for 4-5 years. I'll take it. Top all time is clout chasing rhetoric.

LeBron might be out a week with injury. Laker without AD and LeBron, but way too many wins to really fall out to 7th.
    If you look at the big picture, Father time might be catching Bron

That's good for us

I'm on your side with that.

''If Zion doesn't develop a more well rounded game, then his ceiling is a 2x MVP and DPOY who breaks a ton of NBA records and has some of the best individual seasons of all time and turns his team into a top seed every year with serious title aspirations.''

Like... oh no? I guess? That's supposed to be a bad thing now?
    Basketball.

If anybody thinks Zion's defensive ceiling is Giannis, they are crazy. When most say Giannis, they are talking about offense. As I said, maybe you could see a Siakam type defensive ceiling. Maybe.

And OF COURSE we would all take that player on our team. The question was - What would you have to surround/compliment that player with to have a legit shot at a title?
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    If anybody thinks Zion's defensive ceiling is Giannis, they are crazy. When most say Giannis, they are talking about offense. As I said, maybe you could see a Siakam type defensive ceiling. Maybe.

And OF COURSE we would all take that player on our team. The question was - What would you have to surround/compliment that player with to have a legit shot at a title?
    I don't see it. Siakam = 6'9", 230; meanwhile Zion = 6'6", 285 at best. Zion will never stop AD by himself.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

Except his ceiling on offense is higher than Giannis. He's already comparable to him there, a better scorer at this stage with comparable playmaking instincts (his creation load is considerably less, obviously).

Just because they both score almost exclusively in the paint, doesn't mean their ceiling's are analogous offensively. Zion scores more in the paint than Giannis (because he is somehow a more unstoppable slasher, which is legitimately crazy), and is still more efficient despite a higher volume of attempts at the rim, and his ceiling as a playmaker is probably higher as well given he's much further along at the same stage.

Frankly, the gap between Zion and Giannis is almost entirely on the defensive end, so I really don't think the guy who has been at the forefront of the #1 offense in the NBA since like February at the ripe age of 20 is going to just stop improving on that end.

And if theirs anything he needs to "improve" his offensive game, it's not a jumpshot (an extremely tired narrative), it's a post game.

What has limited Giannis in the postseason in the past is largely not his lack of a jumper, but rather the lack of any offensive versatility in his attack. The ability for players that are predominantly slashers to have a back to the basket game from at least the midpost keeps defenses honest and gives you another area on the floor to put pressure on defenses (particularly when you are also closer to the rim), force help and leverage the threat of your scoring into playmaking for others. Giannis really still to this point doesn't have that, thus it's no wonder that his patented 'ISO at the top of the key and drive into 4 dudes' doesn't work as an exclusive offensive fixture in the postseason.

Like, look at Miami LeBron. After 2011, part of what helped him overcome his postseason struggles wasn't simply an improved jumper, but a more reliable post game, (I mean, before then, the dude couldn't even post up JJ Barea in the finals, that was a serious hole in his game).

Zion already has displayed more ability than Giannis to operate out of the post IMO, and even so it's still something he needs to work on when teams inevitably deploy the "build a wall" strategy in the playoffs. THAT is what's going to take his game to the next level (along with improving his defense, obviously) not taking the occasional spot up 3 that teams wouldn't respect regardless because no one on planet Earth is going to try to stop that rather than contain his drives to the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I'm on your side with that.

''If Zion doesn't develop a more well rounded game, then his ceiling is a 2x MVP and DPOY who breaks a ton of NBA records and has some of the best individual seasons of all time and turns his team into a top seed every year with serious title aspirations.''

Like... oh no? I guess? That's supposed to be a bad thing now?
    Like I've been saying, he has a higher ceiling on offense and a lower ceiling on defense. I think he could legit have a top 10 offensive peak OAT while topping out as an above-average defender (but certainly not Giannis level, who's engineered all time regular season defenses already). Kind of MJ-esque, honestly (that is a crazy high bar, obviously, but he's that gifted)

Dame and CJ missed all of their 3s against the Mavs.... crazy.

Thread Information