Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: March 18th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Portland Trailblazers - 17-23

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    That Kanter v. Adams Matchup sure seemed like smooth sailing down a one way street for one of them.
    it would had been worst for jax.....you saw adams and kantner going at it......i know you are not going to say jax is stronger than adams.....

adams and kantner are rebounding beast and i think you know jax cant deal with kantner in the paint getting boards......jax role was better fit for the small ball lineup....

dont do this tonight bruh...

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Has a player ever totalled over 100 points against the same team in a span of 3 days?

I feel like Dame may do that now. He's already up to 82.
    In the 1961/62 season Wilt Chamberlain did it multiple times. He averaged 50.4 that season for the Warriors.

The first time was.....

10/19/61 Warriors V Lakers - 48.
    10/20/61 Warriors v Lakers - 57.

105 points in two days.

https://www.basketball-reference.com.../gamelog/1962/
    Last edited by As I See It; 03-19-2021 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    it would had been worst for jax.....you saw adams and kantner going at it......i know you are not going to say jax is stronger than adams.....

adams and kantner are rebounding beast and i think you know jax cant deal with kantner in the paint getting boards......jax role was better fit for the small ball lineup....

dont do this tonight bruh...
    You are right; I'm not. But I will say he is twice as quick and three times the athlete. Portland is simply a bad matchup for Adams; that's all I'm saying.

Zion's 19 consecutive 20pt games is the most by a player in franchise history.
    Basketball.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    The problem with the NBA is that the officials have certain teams and players they favor, and they have certain teams that when push comes to shove they don?t mind throwing them under the bus. We are a small market team and they have no qualms giving us the finger. It?s why we are constantly screwed on challenges.
    Yeah it?s exhausting. It?s like we can just expect the game to come down to a bad call or two that changes the momentum.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    We’ve had some really good players through the years. Zion is different. His needle is pointed sky high.

He's only a game or 2 away from league history. There are like 2 other guys that have gone this long, and with a couple/few more games he'll have the record.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    We’ve had some really good players through the years. Zion is different. His needle is pointed sky high.
    Is there an ability to discuss the nuance of how high that sky is, though?

Scoring - I have zero doubts that he will be an all time guy. But he will never be as dominant an offensive force as say James Harden, who we have seen come up short time and time again.

So, we can acknowledge that being a God on that end is definitely not enough. Where have you guys seen an ability to make a game changing impact elsewhere? Or enough flashes to project that he will one day?

Last night, there were multiple opportunities for him to end Portland possessions by grabbing a rebound in or around his area and smaller guys would get it time and time again. Defense is getting slightly better, going from an F to a D or D+

So while I acknowledge that he could be Giannis or 95% Harden or whoever you want to insert on offense, there has to be an ability to talk nuance with his ceiling even though we are "only (insert number of games) in"

What do you think his realistic ceiling is and how much more do you need to add to that player to really be a year in/year out contender?
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    He's only a game or 2 away from league history. There are like 2 other guys that have gone this long, and with a couple/few more games he'll have the record.
    The longest streaks of consecutive 20pt games (since the introduction of the 3pt line) are as follows:

Michael Jordan and Kevin Durant - 72
    Michael Jordan - 69
    Kobe Bryant - 63
    Allen Iverson - 57
    James Harden - 57
    Kevin Durant - 56
    George Gervin - 55
    Lebron James - 49
    George Gervin - 47

So Zion's got a way to go before it's truly historic. His current streak of 19 is tied with Charles Barkley, Andrew Wiggins, Mitch Richmond, Dominique Wilkins, Damian Lillard, Shaq, Karl Malone, Devin Booker, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, Alex English, and Joel Embiid for the 32nd longest such streak in NBA history: if he wants to set the record he has to keep it up for the rest of this season and then start off next year with a few a well.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

Scoring - I have zero doubts that he will be an all time guy. But he will never be as dominant an offensive force as say James Harden, who we have seen come up short time and time again.

So, we can acknowledge that being a God on that end is definitely not enough. Where have you guys seen an ability to make a game changing impact elsewhere? Or enough flashes to project that he will one day?

Last night, there were multiple opportunities for him to end Portland possessions by grabbing a rebound in or around his area and smaller guys would get it time and time again. Defense is getting slightly better, going from an F to a D or D+

So while I acknowledge that he could be Giannis or 95% Harden or whoever you want to insert on offense, there has to be an ability to talk nuance with his ceiling even though we are "only (insert number of games) in"

What do you think his realistic ceiling is and how much more do you need to add to that player to really be a year in/year out contender?
    Mac, I just think he's limited in the number of ways he can beat you. As you suggest, his defense has improved, but he's not going to beat many on that side of the court. Offensively, he's a monster at doing one thing (perhaps like no other in NBA history). But, he has not shown, to date, the ability to expand his game beyond his 'in the paint' prowess. He's not a particularly good defensive rebounder, and Assist to TO ration is abysmal.

I look at him as a modern day Sir Charles with some Draymond Green Characteristics intertwined, offensively.

Defensively, I see him as an undersized Luke Babbit...poor court awareness, slow to react, late, and always in catch up mode. Now, I'm sure I'll catch flack for saying that, but I stand by my screenname and call it "As I See It".
    Last edited by As I See It; 03-19-2021 at 02:30 PM.

I think he can be better than that on D. I can see him peaking at something like what Siakam is. Solid defender with underwhelming rebounding numbers and average to slightly below average steal and block rates.

And Giannis on offense with Siakam on defense would be an elite player. But Giannis offense with Giannis defense is not enough without a lot around him in the postseason, so what would Giannis/Siakam combo need?

Harden would have been a Champion if the Rockets didn't shoot the biggest outlier of all time - 0/40 from three

It's unfathomable

Good news... We are in a 4 way tie for the 7th Lottery odd slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Only seven games out of first (or is it worst) place.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    I think he can be better than that on D. I can see him peaking at something like what Siakam is. Solid defender with underwhelming rebounding numbers and average to slightly below average steal and block rates.

And Giannis on offense with Siakam on defense would be an elite player. But Giannis offense with Giannis defense is not enough without a lot around him in the postseason, so what would Giannis/Siakam combo need?
    What? Defensive Player of the Year Giannis is not good enough?

Antetokounmpo was the top-rated defensive player on the best defense in the NBA this season as he led the league in defensive rating (97.4), helping the Bucks own the NBA’s top team defensive rating for the second consecutive season. Antetokounmpo also held his opponents to an NBA-low 39.9 field goal percentage this season and led the league in defensive win shares.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post

Antetokounmpo was the top-rated defensive player on the best defense in the NBA this season as he led the league in defensive rating (97.4), helping the Bucks own the NBA’s top team defensive rating for the second consecutive season. Antetokounmpo also held his opponents to an NBA-low 39.9 field goal percentage this season and led the league in defensive win shares.
    There is this weird mentality that because one player didn't win a ring in one year, or potentially even any year, they weren't ''good enough'' to win a ring.

Of course, this is ridiculous.

Saying that any given player can't win without a lot around them is self-evident: there has never been a player who was won a ring with a team of completely useless nothings next to them. Even getting to the finals at all in that circumstance is as rare as hen's teeth, and the idea of winning under those circumstances is basically not a thing. So saying ''Zion is probably not going to be enough to win a ring without a lot around him'' is absolutely true but also entirely meaningless because the same has been true for Steph Curry, Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Michael Jordan, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Tim Duncan, David Robinson, Hakeem Olajuwon, et cetera ad infinitum.

Every year there are players who are good enough to be The Guy on a championship team who don't win the ring, and it's always circumstance that stops them: their team isn't good enough, or there's an injury, or they get unlucky at a pivotal moment, or any number of things. That's why you don't design a team around the idea of ''winning a ring'', you design a team around the idea of giving yourself the best chance to compete for a ring; there's too much outside of your control to guarantee it.

So yeah, that's my take. Will Zion need a team building around him to win a ring? Totally, no question. Is he going to be good enough to one-man a championship run? Nope. Has anyone ever been that good? Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post

You clearly misread. The guy said he thought he would be terrible on Defense. I said he will be better than terrible and then compared him to Siakam

Read. Understand your opponents argument. Then type.

The longest streaks of consecutive 20pt games (since the introduction of the 3pt line) are as follows:

Michael Jordan and Kevin Durant - 72
    Michael Jordan - 69
    Kobe Bryant - 63
    Allen Iverson - 57
    James Harden - 57
    Kevin Durant - 56
    George Gervin - 55
    Lebron James - 49
    George Gervin - 47

So Zion's got a way to go before it's truly historic. His current streak of 19 is tied with Charles Barkley, Andrew Wiggins, Mitch Richmond, Dominique Wilkins, Damian Lillard, Shaq, Karl Malone, Devin Booker, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, Alex English, and Joel Embiid for the 32nd longest such streak in NBA history: if he wants to set the record he has to keep it up for the rest of this season and then start off next year with a few a well.
    Not sure who said it... or maybe I didn't hear what I thought I heard. Maybe it was just in Pels history. Good info tho.

Edit - He's a game or 2 short of having the most in history before age 21.
    Last edited by DroopyDawg; 03-21-2021 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    This is a great year to be a bad team. Just continue to develop Kira, NAW, Jax, etc and let the ping pong balls fall where they may.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    This is a great year to be a bad team. Just continue to develop Kira, NAW, Jax, etc and let the ping pong balls fall where they may.
    I’d do that. But I fear Griffin won’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I’d do that. But I fear Griffin won’t.
    He's just got to not draft another Anthony Bennett on a team filled with Anthony Bennetts... Oh my... Wait no..

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Can anyone tell me why they wouldn’t draft Cam Thomas? The kid is amazing.

If Zion doesn't develop a more well rounded game, then his ceiling is Giannis

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Can anyone tell me why they wouldn’t draft Cam Thomas? The kid is amazing.
    In this draft, there are many players better.

Thread Information