Pelicans Report

Thread: SVG: NBA values money over Safety

SVG: NBA values money over Safety

He might not be a good coach right now but does he have a point ?

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/03/11...ts-priorities/

yawn. Bad coach

Well yeah, he's blatantly correct.
    Basketball.

The players agreed to it so they value money as well.

It’s Gayle’s money too. You would think she would ax him for throwing her under the bus.

SVG seems to have one foot in media and one foot in coaching. He has been a train wreck thus far. I know it has only been 1/2 of a season, but he really seems like a poor fit with our younger players.

He isn’t wrong.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Stan values money over safety or he wouldn’t have accepted the job. We would all be happier.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Stan values money over safety or he wouldn’t have accepted the job. We would all be happier.
    This is true also.

The players value money too to be fair. The league shouldn’t just bend over and pay them for doing nothing. If the players are willing to put themselves forward (and they were) why should the league be criminalized for the obvious truth? It takes two to tango.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    SVG seems to have one foot in media and one foot in coaching. He has been a train wreck thus far. I know it has only been 1/2 of a season, but he really seems like a poor fit with our younger players.
    It’s just fake and lip service which really rubs me the wrong way. He obviously wants to come across as the ‘woke’ white guy which is fine, but at least choose the right battles. This ain’t it chief

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    It’s just fake and lip service which really rubs me the wrong way. He obviously wants to come across as the ‘woke’ white guy which is fine, but at least choose the right battles. This ain’t it chief
    Preach JJack!

The players value money too to be fair. The league shouldn’t just bend over and pay them for doing nothing. If the players are willing to put themselves forward (and they were) why should the league be criminalized for the obvious truth? It takes two to tango.
    I mean, in fairness, not every player will be as happy as the others. There will be players who don't actually want to play but because the NBAPA went in for it, don't really have a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I mean, in fairness, not every player will be as happy as the others. There will be players who don't actually want to play but because the NBAPA went in for it, don't really have a choice.
    They are mostly the players that are loaded and their futures aren’t affected by this (LeBron, etc.). Players in the draft and those in contract years would get absolutely screwed if the season was canceled. The majority spoke and they played. Guys aren’t going to stop their peers from making money (some get the chance to get their families out of bad situations as well).

They are mostly the players that are loaded and their futures aren’t affected by this (LeBron, etc.). Players in the draft and those in contract years would get absolutely screwed if the season was canceled. The majority spoke and they played. Guys aren’t going to stop their peers from making money (some get the chance to get their families out of bad situations as well).
    There's an extent to which that's true, and I'm not trying to claim that the players are all secretly being ransomed into playing; of course there are plenty of players who are happy to play and who do want to be there.

I just don't think it's as clear cut as ''league wanted to play, players wanted to play, therefore it's all fine''. We're talking about hundreds of players, even if only 5% of them had a problem that's a team's worth of players.

There's an extent to which that's true, and I'm not trying to claim that the players are all secretly being ransomed into playing; of course there are plenty of players who are happy to play and who do want to be there.

I just don't think it's as clear cut as ''league wanted to play, players wanted to play, therefore it's all fine''. We're talking about hundreds of players, even if only 5% of them had a problem that's a team's worth of players.
    I just think the issue is this doesn’t need to be turned into the NBA is some monster conspiracy which I have seen quite a few people parade about. At the end of the day, everyone needs to make money. If restaurants and hospital workers can do it, there is no way that NBA players can’t do it in a controlled environment. And I remember correctly, NBA instantly acquired COVID tests after Gobert tested positive. They are at least on it in that regard

I just think the issue is this doesn’t need to be turned into the NBA is some monster conspiracy which I have seen quite a few people parade about. At the end of the day, everyone needs to make money. If restaurants and hospital workers can do it, there is no way that NBA players can’t do it in a controlled environment. And I remember correctly, NBA instantly acquired COVID tests after Gobert tested positive. They are at least on it in that regard
    It's not a conspiracy or anything like that. They're a business that makes money from corporate sponsors. The teams are owned by billionaires, they're not doing it for philanthropy. Making profit for their sponsors, investors, and owners is their number one priority; as it is for basically all businesses. No conspiracy there.

It's not a conspiracy or anything like that. They're a business that makes money from corporate sponsors. The teams are owned by billionaires, they're not doing it for philanthropy. Making profit for their sponsors, investors, and owners is their number one priority; as it is for basically all businesses. No conspiracy there.
    Fair enough. And I agree. Business is business and the NBA isn’t some lovey dovey concept that the PR teams parade about. It’s all about money at the end of the day

Perhaps SVG needs to give his Twitter a break and instead spend his time teaching our team fundamental basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Perhaps SVG needs to give his Twitter a break and instead spend his time teaching our team fundamental basketball.
    Always found this attitude weird.

It takes about 30 seconds to write the average tweet in my experience. Unless you expect SVG to be running practices literally every second of consciousness that isn't literally within a game, there's no issue with him having a Twitter presence.

This is essentially just the coaching equivalent of ''shut up and dribble'' and it's just as silly.

Always found this attitude weird.

It takes about 30 seconds to write the average tweet in my experience. Unless you expect SVG to be running practices literally every second of consciousness that isn't literally within a game, there's no issue with him having a Twitter presence.

This is essentially just the coaching equivalent of ''shut up and dribble'' and it's just as silly.
    It's code for conservatives for telling liberals to shut up as well.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    It's code for conservatives for telling liberals to shut up as well.
    Yeah, I'd get the concern if he was still making regular TV appearances on talk shows or if he was writing daily columns for various outlets, that's a big time drain, but for the most part he's just tweeting a bit. He can do that on the plane, or while eating breakfast, or when practice is over, or any number of other possible times, without it at all interfering with the running of the team.

Thread Information