Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: March 16th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Portland Trailblazers - 17-22

Pelicans March 16th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Portland Trailblazers - 17-22

Two wins in a row and we're on the road in Portland to see if we can make it 3.

The Blazers are basically the inverse of our record, currently sitting at 6th in the West with a record of 22-16.

They're very similar to us in profile, actually; 6th in ORtg and 29th in DRtg, being one of the precious few teams worse on defense than we are. They actually have a slightly worse Net Rating than us, overall; -0.5, whereas ours is +0.6.

Really, the difference between Portland and New Orleans this year is clutch time execution. Simply put, we've been dreadful at it and the Blazers haven't. When we get into super close games we lose, they don't. Much of this comes down to the simple fact that they can put the ball in Lillard's hands and ask him to do things, whereas we've largely been allergic to playing our best player during crunch time minutes.

Tonight, CJ McCollum returns to the Blazers lineup, which means their offense will probably take yet another boost while their defense will take yet another hit; that said, comeback games are often big moments for players so we can't rely on such things.

We'll see what happens. I don't think this one is unwinnable but it will take a big effort from the team and we have very little reason to see them as willing to give that effort yet.
    Basketball.

Very interested to see how this young team coming off a few good wins, plays against a top 4 team away in the West

Basketball Guru
    i just want to see the 2nd unit of naw,,hart,,lewis,,zion and hayes come in together and play a up tempo offense and play to their strengths like they have done in the last 2 games...

I actually think this is a game we could win.

Zion just destroyed Covington?
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 03-16-2021 at 09:27 PM.

Hot start early.

They are leading by 7 despite Bledsoe's best derp efforts. He's just all cringe right now.

My early speculation - going out on a wild limb here - if we continue to shoot 67% from the floor and 100% from 3, we will win.

Robert Covington

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    My early speculation - going out on a wild limb here - if we continue to shoot 67% from the floor and 100% from 3, we will win.
    Don't jinx it!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    The Pelicans starting 5 are almost unstoppable.

Love seeing us both getting to the line and converting there early. 4/4 from Zion and 2/2 from Ingram to start.

Ill say this much..... Dame gonna Dame

Also glad to see NAW getting some run early, was wondering how he was going to be handled after that minor injury last game.

Alert: we are passing passing.

Basketball Guru
    the second unit is supposed to be ...lewis,,hart,,zion,,naw and hayes....stan has messed up the flow of the second unit by leaving lonzo in....

Really solid stretch from Jax in the first there, some pretty good defense that looked mostly under control and well timed. The heavier focus on a drop does seem to be paying off for him.

Surely playing like this is more fun than when they don't try. It looks more fun, at least.

Basketball Guru
    its been 3 games but the second unit is fun to watch when we are playing fast..

Doing good

I love NAW's aggression but I do wish his shot selection was about 20% better

I really despise these post all star 10th seed run by this team. Could of used this a month ago.

Basketball Guru
    bout time we do a pick and roll with hayes....it has been working the last 2 games so stick with it til teams stop it...

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I love NAW's aggression but I do wish his shot selection was about 20% better
    The moment his green light shooting turns into a soft yellow where he looks for the best shot. He'll improve dramatically as a player.

Eric Bledsoe putting in work now?

Thread Information