Pelicans Report

Thread: Hayes vs. Hernangomez minutes?

Hayes vs. Hernangomez minutes?

Can someone enlighten me as to what SVG is doing with our backup center minutes?

At some point 'Gomez started getting minutes and seemed like a straight upgrade to Jax, development minutes for Jax aside. Better footwork, positioning, some actual post moves.

Then recently 'Gomez had his minutes cut back again and Jax seems like he had a fire lit under his @$$ and is giving us more productive minutes than he has in the past.

Productivity per 36 min seems similar between the two: 'Gomez has more rebounds and less turnovers, Jax is more efficient and averages more blocks.

Is SVG just experimenting? Did 'Gomez get injured? Jax providing a bit more rim protection?

My guess is Griffin wants to see what we have in Jaxson, and instructed SVG accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    My guess is Griffin wants to see what we have in Jaxson, and instructed SVG accordingly.
    This

Yeah I've noticed this weird dichotomy with Billy and Jax where Billy was great before and Jax was bad and vice versa

But we definitely need to invest minutes into Jax

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Would like to think it's some kind of 4D chess move that it was the plan from very early on to bench Jax to fire him up and make him hungry to get better. Things wouldn't be handed to him. That's probably not it though. Either way it seems to have turned out that way so far.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Would like to think it's some kind of 4D chess move that it was the plan from very early on to bench Jax to fire him up and make him hungry to get better. Things wouldn't be handed to him. That's probably not it though. Either way it seems to have turned out that way so far.
    I think it's a combination of things.

I think he's been immature, but he's probably been called out behind closed doors (and also publicly) and he wants to be taken seriously now

I can't blame his path so far tbh

Gomez play started to tail off recently and the team went on a losing streak. So needing a spark and someone who could potentially be more active on defense, tried Jax again.

Simple.

He’s trying something new and riding the hot hand

Give them to Jax because we're still trying to find out if he has a future on this team and we know Hernangomez probably doesn't.

Simple.
    Basketball.

Tap your head young man, tap your head!

Thread Information