Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Julius Randle is trending right now

Here's the thing, 13: if you want to change someone's mind you might want to have a go at actually making an argument rather than just going ''LOOK! LOOK! ALL THESE ARTICLES THAT AGREE WITH ME, THEY'RE TOTALLY NEUTRAL AND UNBIASED!''

Like, am I supposed to take it seriously that Earl Monroe thinks a New York player is the MVP? Really? Earl Monroe, who spent 9 years in New York and won a chip there, thinks the New York guy should be the MVP favourite? Well knock my socks off. I never would have guessed.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's cool that New York - which has been starved for good basketball for a long time - now has two teams which are both going to make the playoffs and one that has finals aspirations. I think that's cool and I'm glad their fanbase has something to get hype over instead of spending literally all of their time thinking about the next free agency, but that doesn't mean the Randle For MVP talk isn't an overreaction. It is. He is not the MVP, he's not top 3 in the conversation, and as I said before he's probably not top 5 either. He's having a great year but he isn't even All NBA second team, let's be real about this.

Jokic:

- Averages 26/11/9 on 64%TS all without dominating the ball
    - For the 38-21 4th seed in the West (Knicks are 4th seed in the East with a 33-27 record)

Leads the league in:
    - WS and WS/48
    - BPM
    - VORP
    - EPM and estimated wins added
    - LEBRON and wins added
    - RAPTOR and wins above replacement
    - PlayVal

While also being top 5 in ScoreVal, Offensive Rating On, Box Creation, Passer Rating, and still grading out at a mild positive on defense. By comparison, Randle doesn't fall into the top 10 of any of these statistics, and not even in the top 20 for some of them (he's 42nd in the NBA in EPM, for example), and despite all of that and his team winning fewer games I'm supposed to have him as a real MVP candidate? Be realistic for God's sake.
    Basketball.

Fascinating. What one year can do. New GM

https://sport.one/nba-mvp-race-knick...-a-solid-case/

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Dude you exposed what kind of fan you are by knowing nothing about our g league team which is common knowledge to anyone who truly follows the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans_fan_504 View Post
    Dude you exposed what kind of fan you are by knowing nothing about our g league team which is common knowledge to anyone who truly follows the team.
    But didn't you know? NYC fans were chanting MVP for a Knicks player. That means we have to take his MVP candidacy seriously.

Just like we take the Jazz fans MVP chants seriously when Donovan Mitchell goes to the line Or Wizards when it's Beal.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    But didn't you know? NYC fans were chanting MVP for a Knicks player. That means we have to take his MVP candidacy seriously.

Just like we take the Jazz fans MVP chants seriously when Donovan Mitchell goes to the line Or Wizards when it's Beal.
    Pelicans fans chanted MVP at Ingram a few times last year too. To be fair, I think they meant to yell “MIP.” Common mistake

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Pelicans fans chanted MVP at Ingram a few times last year too. To be fair, I think they meant to yell “MIP.” Common mistake
    Yeah he's got a way better case for MIP than MVP. Improved his FT%, 3PT%, BPM, AST% etc.

My only concern is that his improvement hasn't been uniform. His BLK% is down, for example, as is his REB%, and his TS% is actually lower than it was in his season with us: largely because he's only shooting 65% at the rim: he shot 69% at the rim in his season in NOLA and 73% at the rim his last season in LA, for comparison. The major different in a lot of ways is just the 3pt shooting, which is great (and accounts for the extra ppg) and the passing but a lot of that is just role: NYC is letting him be a primary ball handler a lot of the time which obviously increases those numbers, but it's not resulting in a particularly good offense. NYC has a bottom 10 offense, it's their defense that's been carrying them and Randle isn't a huge part of that honestly. He's been better this year but not spectacular or anything.

I think Shai has an argument for it but he's just missed too many games.

Jaylen Brown has a really good argument for it as well. He's averaging career highs in points, steals, blocks, and assists, shooting career highs from 2pt range and from 3 on career high 3 point attempts. Has also taken a big playmaking bump, almost doubling his previous years AST% without seeing any real rise in TOV%.

Zach LaVine also, he's gone from 49% from 2, 38% from 3, 80% from the line last year to 57/42/86 this year (that's a TS% jump from 57% to 63%). Career highs in points/rebounds/assists, huge leap in his impact metrics (from .091 WS/48 last year to .136 this year, and a jump from 1.82 LEBRON to 2.44 this year).

I do think Randle would be a deserving winner but I don't think it's a unanimous thing where nobody else is competing.

Yeah he's got a way better case for MIP than MVP. Improved his FT%, 3PT%, BPM, AST% etc.

My only concern is that his improvement hasn't been uniform. His BLK% is down, for example, as is his REB%, and his TS% is actually lower than it was in his season with us: largely because he's only shooting 65% at the rim: he shot 69% at the rim in his season in NOLA and 73% at the rim his last season in LA, for comparison. The major different in a lot of ways is just the 3pt shooting, which is great (and accounts for the extra ppg) and the passing but a lot of that is just role: NYC is letting him be a primary ball handler a lot of the time which obviously increases those numbers, but it's not resulting in a particularly good offense. NYC has a bottom 10 offense, it's their defense that's been carrying them and Randle isn't a huge part of that honestly. He's been better this year but not spectacular or anything.

Jaylen Brown has a really good argument for it as well. He's averaging career highs in points, steals, blocks, and assists, shooting career highs from 2pt range and from 3 on career high 3 point attempts. Has also taken a big playmaking bump, almost doubling his previous years AST% without seeing any real rise in TOV%.

Zach LaVine also, he's gone from 49% from 2, 38% from 3, 80% from the line last year to 57/42/86 this year (that's a TS% jump from 57% to 63%). Career highs in points/rebounds/assists, huge leap in his impact metrics (from .091 WS/48 last year to .136 this year, and a jump from 1.82 LEBRON to 2.44 this year).

I do think Randle would be a deserving winner but I don't think it's a unanimous thing where nobody else is competing.
    I personally hope he wins MIP because I like him, but yeah he is not the mvp. Not even close. He needs to keep grinding if he wants to reach that level. Great guy though and glad he is killing it in NY

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans_fan_504 View Post
    Defection from the topic. You need to look in mirror at yourself . If this organization had any idea the talent they gave up from our G - league. Pretty obvious they don’t watch either.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 04-24-2021 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I personally hope he wins MIP because I like him, but yeah he is not the mvp. Not even close. He needs to keep grinding if he wants to reach that level. Great guy though and glad he is killing it in NY
    Fair enough. I said he was a mvp candidate. What is wrong with that?But you know how this forum is. M.M. Exposed that poster already.

I love the fact that he's putting it to all his naysayers ("he'll never be able to sustain these numbers"). I find the mere fact that he is even mentioned in the same sentence (paragraph, article, whatever) with the words, "Most Valuable Player" associated to it, to be quite gratifying and an apt outcome for such incompetence.

Let us never forget, that when 'THE FRANCHISE" quit the team, and the city, three years ago, Randle surely didn't. And for all his hard work and loyalty to the organization and the city, JR was not even tendered an offer by the Pelicans. True, we took a chance in even signing him in 2018. True also, he delivered; the team didn't.

For me it's Jerami Grant

Role player turned 1st option. That's how I truly think this award should be given

Not to the BI's of the world who finally lived up to their base talent. Randle is basically doing what BI did last year

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    For me it's Jerami Grant

Role player turned 1st option. That's how I truly think this award should be given

Not to the BI's of the world who finally lived up to their base talent. Randle is basically doing what BI did last year
    I understand that but Jerami Grant fell off hard as the season went on.

The Pistons have played 60 games so far this year. The first 30, Grant averaged 24/5/3 on 44/38/86 splits

The 30 since, he's averaged 21/4/2 on 42/32/81 splits

At a certain point he stopped looking like ''wow, Grant's taken a big leap'' and just started looking like ''wow, Grant's taking a lot of shots''. He took a little under 9 shots a game last year, and is taking a little under double that this year, and his scoring has jumped up in line with that but the actual efficiency has dropped off enough as the season has gone on that he's actually got his lowest TS% since 2016-17.

Combine that with the second lowest STL% and the lowest BLK% of his career, his lowest REB% since 2016-17, and a subsequent regression on overall defense this year by some metrics, it's pretty hard for me to give him credit for most improved.

New York has lots of votes.

Just sayin,

Giannis

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I love the fact that he's putting it to all his naysayers ("he'll never be able to sustain these numbers"). I find the mere fact that he is even mentioned in the same sentence (paragraph, article, whatever) with the words, "Most Valuable Player" associated to it, to be quite gratifying and an apt outcome for such incompetence.

Let us never forget, that when 'THE FRANCHISE" quit the team, and the city, three years ago, Randle surely didn't. And for all his hard work and loyalty to the organization and the city, JR was not even tendered an offer by the Pelicans. True, we took a chance in even signing him in 2018. True also, he delivered; the team didn't.
    You are right. Unfortunately They don’t want to hear that .

Leon Rose has been GM for what 7 months and look at the transformation already of Knicks headed by Randle.

Trivia time. Name one other former agent that is now a GM?

Trivia time. Name one other former agent that is now a GM?
    Bob Meyers

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Bob Meyers
    Correct

Name another one for 200 ? Here is a hint ...Kobe Bryant

Correct

Name another one for 200 ? Here is a hint ...Kobe Bryant
    Rob Pelinka
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Rob Pelinka
    Correct

Well since we are talking about MVP race guess we can’t leave out Stephen Curry. That 2nd week in May can be every Curry for MVP wet dream when he plays the PELICANS WEAK DEFENSE in a back to back homestand. I kid you not. This could be absolutely mind boggling what Curry can put up those two days. Mark your calendars May 3 and May 4th. The holy ******** moment could happen.

Well since we are talking about MVP race guess we can’t leave out Stephen Curry. That 2nd week in May can be every Curry for MVP wet dream when he plays the PELICANS WEAK DEFENSE in a back to back homestand. I kid you not. This could be absolutely mind boggling what Curry can put up those two days. Mark your calendars May 3 and May 4th. The holy ******** moment could happen.
    Steph Curry is the only real competitor for Jokic imo, but the fact that Jokic is a mild positive on defense and Curry has been pretty rough on that end - combined with the fact that the Nuggets are just a far better team, Curry may not even make the playoffs - decides it for me.

Offensively, this is the closest he's been to his peak since his first unanimous MVP season.

ESPN First Take brought this up this morning. It is interesting NY don’t give a ******** about the Nets. Egg on James Harden and Kyrie Irving face. You may get a ring but the city don’t give a ******** about you.

Honestly that Donovan Mitchell trade will go down as one of the biggest blunders in Nuggets (if not recent NBA history).
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Honestly that Donovan Mitchell trade will go down as one of the biggest blunders in Nuggets (if not recent NBA history).
    Monty, CP3 break the streak tonight?

Thread Information