Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Julius Randle is trending right now

NBA Julius Randle is trending right now

Damn it and we let him walk. Instead we got Bledsoe.

Yes a Zion Randle combo would have worked.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 03-15-2021 at 10:16 PM.

Where is Randle gonna get his 27 shoots from the bench? He wasn't gonna stay for a back-up gig and be our small 5. I don't understand why is this is hard to understand... I love that he developed and continued to have a great year. Just like Wood and Randle...

It's gonna be one of Woods, Randle, or Zion... You can only really have one and maybe one ona one year deal. If you want a back up stretch 4... You gonna have to find a bench caliber stretch 4 not a legit stretch 4 starter. The moment Randle or Woods are offer a starting position. No amount of overpay was gonna keep them. Plus, Randle really wanted to go to NYC. I don;t understand why we keep beating this dead horse like we let him go like we had a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Where is Randle gonna get his 27 shoots from the bench? He wasn't gonna stay for a back-up gig and be our small 5. I don't understand why is this is hard to understand... I love that he developed and continued to have a great year. Just like Wood and Randle...

It's gonna be one of Woods, Randle, or Zion... You can only really have one and maybe one ona one year deal. If you want a back up stretch 4... You gonna have to find a bench caliber stretch 4 not a legit stretch 4 starter. The moment Randle or Woods are offer a starting position. No amount of overpay was gonna keep them. Plus, Randle really wanted to go to NYC. I don;t understand why we keep beating this dead horse like we let him go like we had a choice.
    He wanted to stay.

You had the money.

You could have got him on the cheap...like NY did.

You'd have an asset with value to trade.

Or, it works.

There was no downside.

Let me ask you, Favors or Randle?

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    He wanted to stay.

You had the money.

Or, it works.

There was no downside.

Imagine how great the defense would be with Randle.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Imagine how great the defense would be with Randle.
    Yeah, that's right. Favors was a blanket, huh?

There's this weird belief for some fans that

A) We could have somehow kept every single player that's ever played on the Pelicans (I have, in fact, also seen people pining for Elfrid Payton to return as well, for example)
    B) All of those players who were bad at the time would have developed in precisely the same way if they stayed here, despite no evidence for that and there being plenty of evidence to the contrary

It's a weird thought process but hey, some people are just trying to find reasons to get mad more than anything.
    Basketball.

To die on Mt Randle, is definitely unique

I'll give him that much

Again....

Favors coming off of 12/7/1 or Randle coming off of 21/9/3 with us and wanted to stay at the same money as we gave Favors?

or maybe,

Melli or Randle?
    Last edited by As I See It; 03-16-2021 at 08:25 AM.

Who said Randle is gonna to play back up here? Here let this sink in.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-in-the-future

Yes it is an old article but you never know. Go on Knicks forum and they think they and are one player short of dynasty. Guess which player they want in 2023.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 03-16-2021 at 09:28 AM.

He wanted to stay.

You had the money.

Or, it works.

There was no downside.

Instead we got Bledsoe and Redick .LOL

Pels Life

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    People complaining about a hindsight move they didn’t advocate for at the time it happened. Ridiculous.

It is sad that we moved on from Randal (and chose to go with Favors for a year), but it is also sad that we chose Jah over Wood, and Bledsoe/Adams over Jrue, and Hayes/NAW over Hunter, but hey, you dance with the one that brought you.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    People complaining about a hindsight move they didn’t advocate for at the time it happened. Ridiculous.
    Since you asked

https://www.pelicansreport.com/showt...-Julius-Randle

As for Bledsoe, Many questions at the time

https://www.pelicansreport.com/showt...edsoe-question
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 03-16-2021 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    It is sad that we moved on from Randal (and chose to go with Favors for a year), but it is also sad that we chose Jah over Wood, and Bledsoe/Adams over Jrue, and Hayes/NAW over Hunter, but hey, you dance with the one that brought you.
    Excellent Post

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I don’t care about Julius Randle. He’s playing well? Oh well.

This thread has simultaneously given me pancreatic, bowel and testicular cancer

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Who said Randle is gonna to play back up here? Here let this sink in.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-in-the-future

Yes it is an old article but you never know. Go on Knicks forum and they think they and are one player short of dynasty. Guess which player they want in 2023.
    Go and a Knicks forum and they think they're one player short of a dynasty.

Knicks players and being delusion; best of friends since 2000.

Here's the deal. Randle is a less efficient player than he was in New Orleans. The difference is his usage rate and that the Knicks offence is built around him. He brings the ball up a ton. He is playing six minutes more a game and shooting the ball 2-3 more times a night. So he's averaging 2 rebounds more and a point or two more while shooting a worse percentage. Big deal. You can't win anything with Zion and Randle playing together. Randle would not be averaging what he is if they were both here.

Quote Originally Posted by liger420 View Post
    Here's the deal. Randle is a less efficient player than he was in New Orleans. The difference is his usage rate and that the Knicks offence is built around him. He brings the ball up a ton. He is playing six minutes more a game and shooting the ball 2-3 more times a night. So he's averaging 2 rebounds more and a point or two more while shooting a worse percentage. Big deal. You can't win anything with Zion and Randle playing together. Randle would not be averaging what he is if they were both here.
    Randle with the Pelicans: 25.2pts, 10.2rbds, 3.7asts per 36 on 52/34/73 splits (60.0% TS).
    Randle this year with NY: 22.7pts, 10.8rbds, 5.6asts per 36 on 48/41/79 splits (58.4% TS).

Usage rate is exactly the same at 27.8%, weirdly enough, but yes his minutes are higher and he is taking about 0.7 shots more per 100 (miniscule).

So what's happened? He's scoring less, being less efficient inside the arc, but has improved as a passer and shooter. His defense is also a touch better this year, though still bad.

Those small improvements have made a big difference in his impact: he's a much more valuable player for the Knicks than he was for us, this is true. But the question isn't just value in the abstract, it's value to a team. Would be be this effective and useful for us? Probably not, because he wouldn't be the on-ball offensive engine for us in the way that he is for New York, because Zion exists and Zion is just better.

So what's happened?

Quote Originally Posted by liger420 View Post
    Yep, that's right. And Zion and Favors (who the debate is really about) was awe-inspiring, huh?

I can't see any Universe where we pay Randle 20 mil a year for 4+ years and he's an amazing fit with Zion

We don't need another 30% usage guy with Zion and BI on the team

It's just a very ill thought out fit

Guys like Kennard - good fit

Randle - not a good fit with this iteration of the Pels

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I can't see any Universe where we pay Randle 20 mil a year for 4+ years and he's an amazing fit with Zion
    It's not a question of whether he was a fit with Zion (though that is very much open to debate...sure would have helped during that 13 game losing streak last year); it's a matter of letting an asset (an eventual All Star as it turned out) that we had the inside track on get away without anything in return.

And, he did not sign an 80MM contract with the Knicks.
    Last edited by As I See It; 03-16-2021 at 01:03 PM.

Basketball Guru
    lets be honest here....randle did wanted to stay in new orleans...randle and his wife loved it here and wanted to be here and thats a fact.......and there were people advocating to keep randle because at the time he improved his game here coming from the lakers and imo showed signs of getting better........

now if you are going to use his defense is bad argument then that is your opinion but is his defense really bad?...im not talking about stats..im asking have any of you watched the knicks play and seen his defense as being bad?...i dont watch the Knicks but just asking a fair question...

im looking forward to seeing him and zion go at it...i love seeing bully ball....

It's not a question of whether he was a fit with Zion (though that is very much open to debate...sure would have helped during that 13 game losing streak last year); it's a matter of letting an asset (an eventual All Star as it turned out) that we had the inside track on get away without anything in return.

And, he did not sign an 80MM contract with the Knicks.
    He got 20 mil per for 3 years with the Knicks, average of 20 mil which is what I said

You're super salty that we didn't re-sign him for 20mil+ a year then quickly look for a trading partner

Things don't exist in a vaccuum. Randle doesn't have a career year here with Zion and BI taking the bulk of the usage. Stop pretending like he would have.
    Last edited by AusPel; 03-16-2021 at 01:14 PM.

Thread Information