Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Deadline Stuff - [League Wide]

No, just like the Favors trade, it was a waste of time that could have been spent on a younger player (if we were going the development route), and money (as his contract wasn’t cheap). But hey, at least we are building goodwill (for whatever that’s worth in this league).
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    No, just like the Favors trade, it was a waste of time that could have been spent on a younger player (if we were going the development route), and money (as his contract wasn’t cheap). But hey, at least we are building goodwill (for whatever that’s worth in this league).
    Yeah.... By itself it's really not an awful move, but you clump all these off season decisions together It looks really bad

Not sure how to post pic but here's my crazy unrealistic 4 team trade
    https://tradenba.com/trades/eDM8wYACz

I'd love to get Talen off of LA if we're going to move ball.

I'm really bored and I'm ready for some trades to start happening

I'm afraid the Adams acquisition was a bad move too. We could have had Wood (who is a better fit) without giving up anything (wouldn't mind having Kenny Hustle right now) and paid Wood considerably less than we are paying Adams.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Yeah.... By itself it's really not an awful move, but you clump all these off season decisions together It looks really bad
    And THAT has been my argument for a year now.

Is the Favors move an awful one in a vacuum? No, not awful. Same with Adams. Same with the decision not to moving JJ this offseason (when there were offers).

But if you add all the small bad moves and the opportunity costs associated with it, they add up to assets that could land a REAL needle mover. You sign Richaun Holmes instead of trading for Favors (and then Adams) and you are about the same level team over those two years but you have an additional first rounder, 4 second rounders, George Hill, Kenrich Williams and about 30 million dollars to get other guys.

Griff is good when he has an asset everyone wants and he is choosing between a bunch of great options. But I havent seen him nail one little move yet. Instead of getting guys like Tate or finding a overachieving 2nd rounder or UDFA, he whiffs on Melli, lets C Wood walk, just gives away decent 2nd rounders. And while none of those are fireable offenses, they all add up and give me no faith in him nailing the little moves moving forward. And when you win the little moves, you have more room for error and/or overspending on the big moves
    @mcnamara247

The idea in signing JJ was best case: he shoots us into contention, worst case: we can trade him for something. Here we are in year two of his contract and we are left holding our wang on that signing.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

Griff is good when he has an asset everyone wants and he is choosing between a bunch of great options. But I havent seen him nail one little move yet. Instead of getting guys like Tate or finding a overachieving 2nd rounder or UDFA, he whiffs on Melli, lets C Wood walk, just gives away decent 2nd rounders. And while none of those are fireable offenses, they all add up and give me no faith in him nailing the little moves moving forward. And when you win the little moves, you have more room for error and/or overspending on the big moves

Yeah, exactly. I been critical of Griffin, because the only moves that he hit have been softball moves. If you want to depend on Griiffin to make really tough micro decisions that adds up over time ... He has shown zero ability to pull anything meaningful off. This past year feels like it was all course correcting from alot of those bad moves. So, we came into the season with really thin roster with no bench and the only thing to show for it was Steven Adams. Adams best ability seems to be mentor for Hayes moreso than being on the court during a murderous condense season with his body struggling to keep pace. When he's on a pay cut next season with an extra a month and half to pace the season out. I may like it better.

We have seen highly paid centers/bigs like Drummond and Aldridge not be able to fetch a single asset. Yet, Griff gives up a first, two seconds, and two solid players for Adams - who actually makes more than Drummond or Aldridge this year.

Its mind blowing. But whats done is done. We could have a similar record and a lot more assets and/or young prospects right now. If he learns from his mistakes and is better moving forward, these minor misses wont matter. But I wont believe he has learned and course corrected until I see it

Looks like the Raptors might be cleaning house. Locker room supposedly imploding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rumor is the Pels are trying to trade both Adams and Bledsoe (as well as JJ). So glad we made that trade.

Rumor is the Pels are trying to trade both Adams and Bledsoe (as well as JJ). So glad we made that trade.
    I don't think Adams is tradeable until August when his new contract takes effect. I could be wrong.

Consider that a wasted signing.
    Moreso a mistake that Griffin did not trade him before the season when the Warriors were reportedly offering a heavily protected 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I don't think Adams is tradeable until August when his new contract takes effect. I could be wrong.
    He is tradable now, but I do not believe that rumor.

And THAT has been my argument for a year now.

Is the Favors move an awful one in a vacuum? No, not awful. Same with Adams. Same with the decision not to moving JJ this offseason (when there were offers).

But if you add all the small bad moves and the opportunity costs associated with it, they add up to assets that could land a REAL needle mover. You sign Richaun Holmes instead of trading for Favors (and then Adams) and you are about the same level team over those two years but you have an additional first rounder, 4 second rounders, George Hill, Kenrich Williams and about 30 million dollars to get other guys.

Funny because Dell was very good at the little moves, but nothing else.

NBA Central
    @TheNBACentral
    ?
    1m
    Victor Oladipo will not play tonight due to personal reasons

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    NBA Central
    @TheNBACentral
    ?
    1m
    Victor Oladipo will not play tonight due to personal reasons
    Bledsoe, Meli and a Laker 1st for Dipo incoming

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Sign me up

We have seen highly paid centers/bigs like Drummond and Aldridge not be able to fetch a single asset. Yet, Griff gives up a first, two seconds, and two solid players for Adams - who actually makes more than Drummond or Aldridge this year.

Its mind blowing. But whats done is done. We could have a similar record and a lot more assets and/or young prospects right now. If he learns from his mistakes and is better moving forward, these minor misses wont matter. But I wont believe he has learned and course corrected until I see it
    To go a step further, most of these moves have been justified by Griffin by the need to establish a ?culture? on the Pels, to sign or keep expensive vets around to foster a competitive, winning attitude among younger players and create a ?family? atmosphere.

This is dangerously misguided. An NBA team is not a family. You can?t cut or trade your kids to another family because they don?t do their chores. An NBA team is more like a military platoon where the objective is the main concern, not creating an atmosphere of unconditional love. Sure, you can have real bonding and respect but the mission comes first.

There is no evidence that having these expensive vets have contributed to making the Pels a winner on the court. We are inconsistent, choke in the clutch, give up big leads, don?t defend all the time, all classic faults of a young team. So be a young team and grow together. Memphis has focused on young talent and they are ahead of us despite some devastating injuries.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Is that how you get a culture? You sign guys who can say the right things I guess? How about we find and bring in guys who can play the game of basketball really well?

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Funny because Dell was very good at the little moves, but nothing else.
    right....if Dell were griff right hand man, we would of had a couple of gems on the team right now out performing their contract....

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Sign me up also

Man... Is Bledsoe that toxic that we can't ride him out on the bench and move him next year?
    What makes him more valuable next year after riding the bench?

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    What makes him more valuable next year after riding the bench?

He's an half season expiring

Trade Deadline Stuff - [League Wide]

He's an half season expiring

You mean next offseason or trade deadline next year? If you mean in February 2022, yes he will be tradable if he gets his act together. If he rides the bench that long... not so much.

So that leaves the offseason which i?m ASSuming will be in the fall of this year. What will be the
    big difference between fall 2021 and winter 2022? Is he all of a sudden going to turn it on?
    Last edited by Sleeper; 03-24-2021 at 11:18 PM.

I think JJ provided a lot of leadership and experience. He's a vocal guy and that alone was needed. Favors and some other Vets seemed too passive to really make a difference they're. Adams is a hard worker but the fit was always strange. Bledsoe I loathe..

Really don't want to move Lonzo. I think he's on the cusp of really breaking through. He's gonna be motivated every night by his brother to be more assertive which is what he's always lacked. When Lonzo is aggressive good things happen.
    "..but there's Baron dribbling the ball for 20 seconds, hoisting bad 3s and single-handedly killing them in close games. It's like somebody shrunk Antoine Walker and gave him his own team."
    - Bill Simmons (2006)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Thread Information