Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: March 1st - New Orleans Pelicans VS Utah Jazz - 14-19

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Point in case: we have beat Milwaukee, Clippers, Suns, and Jazz so far this season, as well as pulling off a huge comeback against Boston (who are not great this year, but are still a pretty solid team). We have also been mauled by Detroit, Dallas, Sacramento, Chicago, Houston, and Minnesota.

We have a really annoying habit of playing down to bad competition and playing up against good teams. We have a kind of lackadaisical nature against bad teams where we just kind of walk in and try to cruise, and we're flat out not good enough to do that. So we try and get hammered.
    Exactly. Until we solve that problem, we will be mediocre. I fully expect us to lay an egg against the next weak team which sums us up as a franchise

Basketball.

He knows, he's just a troll. If I had listed the turnovers he'd be like ''AND HOW MANY MISSED ROTATIONS!?!?!?''

Clownshoes character.
    That's pretty rich for somewhat who writes this in back to back posts in the same thread.....

.......if you could design a 5 in the lab to fit this team they'd have the ability to shoot.
    and

I disagree with the take that the team needs a stretch 5.
    But, hey, it takes all kinds.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Lonzo look like he did like last February and March. He's a still very much rhythm player and still developing consistency. Going forward if the only thing we have to worry about is him taking a month to get going in the season and him improving his one on one defense. He's a 20 mm player that still pretty moveable if he doesn't improve to his ceiling potential.
    Agreed, he’s only 23 and is putting up 17-6-5 numbers while shooting great from 3 with high volume and shooting over 75% from 3. He still has a lot of room for improvement and could easily be a 20-7-6 guy, probably won’t be sharing the rock with Ingram and Zion tho. I am a Lonzo fan

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    That's pretty rich for somewhat who writes this in back to back posts in the same thread.....

and

But, hey, it takes all kinds.
    This feud has reach WWF levels of entertainment...

Exactly why I blocked him, his sole mission is to troll

@Pelicandae is there a scorned lover we don’t know about?

That was some actual coaching with the subbing at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Agreed, he?s only 23 and is putting up 17-6-5 numbers while shooting great from 3 with high volume and shooting over 75% from 3. He still has a lot of room for improvement and could easily be a 20-7-6 guy, probably won?t be sharing the rock with Ingram and Zion tho. I am a Lonzo fan
    I don't think the raw stats are as important as the way and the timing of them.

I mean if he get's 20 points in 2 games, but in one game he's taking and hitting mid range jumpers late and the other he has a whole bunch of uncontested layups, the raw stats will be identical but the two games far apart in reality.

I will be pleasantly shocked if they beat the Bulls on Wednesday.

The second ranked rebounding team in the NBA just got outrebounded (53-39).

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I will be pleasantly shocked if they beat the Bulls on Wednesday.
    I'm honestly thinking of putting an entire paycheck on the Bulls. But loved the win tonight

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I don't think the raw stats are as important as the way and the timing of them.

I mean if he get's 20 points in 2 games, but in one game he's taking and hitting mid range jumpers late and the other he has a whole bunch of uncontested layups, the raw stats will be identical but the two games far apart in reality.
    True. I’ll just say he has been playing extremely well lately. Looks like the game has finally slowed down for him and he’s under control

It's about as far from a one-to-one comparison as possible, but I'm starting to see Lonzo as this team's version of Draymond Green. He does all of the things that the two stars don't do and his play is generally the bellwether of how the team plays as a whole. If he continues to fill in the gaps and play like this (consistency, as we have discussed ad nauseam, being the biggest concern) then it would be damn near impossible to find a better fit with BI and Zion going forward on the open market, especially at what is likely to be somewhere below a max salary.

And obviously all of the praise probably means he's about to go into a 3 month long shooting slump followed by him signing with the Clippers and becoming a perennial all-star.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post

And obviously all of the praise probably means he's about to go into a 3 month long shooting slump followed by him signing with the Clippers and becoming a perennial all-star.
    As the person that done Lonzo praise train on my 5th go around. The trends with Lonzo as they currently stands is that he doesn't shoot well on long layoffs and away games. So, I think we maybe in the clear...

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    It's about as far from a one-to-one comparison as possible, but I'm starting to see Lonzo as this team's version of Draymond Green. He does all of the things that the two stars don't do and his play is generally the bellwether of how the team plays as a whole. If he continues to fill in the gaps and play like this (consistency, as we have discussed ad nauseam, being the biggest concern) then it would be damn near impossible to find a better fit with BI and Zion going forward on the open market, especially at what is likely to be somewhere below a max salary.

Great post and I completely agree, he fits very well with Zion and BI. And we have Kira on the way, I wanted another ball handler but now I don’t and Mobley is who I hope we can land, but if we lose Lonzo give me green

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Great post and I completely agree, he fits very well with Zion and BI. And we have Kira on the way, I wanted another ball handler but now I don’t and Mobley is who I hope we can land, but if we lose Lonzo give me green
    If we're assuming Cade is off the board, then I'm praying for Mobley. Also very intrigued by Jalen Suggs with this group, but would be thrilled if Kira made him redundant and unnecessary by the end of the season. I need to catch up on Green and Kuminga to get a feel for them.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Loved that close game.

Naji Marshall over last 9 g-league games shooting 43% from three (on 5 attempts), avg 1.7 steals, and shooting 59% from the field in the last 5 games. He is 6'7" with some length. Finally, possibly, maybe that 3 and D wing candidate.

I dont expect many positive responses, if any, given the amount of folks on here clearly battling depression. But summer league should be fun later this yea at least.

Erie Bayhawks currently #1 at 10-2 in the g-league so..
    Last edited by luckyman; 03-02-2021 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Exactly. Until we solve that problem, we will be mediocre. I fully expect us to lay an egg against the next weak team which sums us up as a franchise
    Point in case: we have beat Milwaukee, Clippers, Suns, and Jazz so far this season, as well as pulling off a huge comeback against Boston (who are not great this year, but are still a pretty solid team). We have also been mauled by Detroit, Dallas, Sacramento, Chicago, Houston, and Minnesota.

We have a really annoying habit of playing down to bad competition and playing up against good teams. We have a kind of lackadaisical nature against bad teams where we just kind of walk in and try to cruise, and we're flat out not good enough to do that. So we try and get hammered.
    Absolutely, it feels like a soft sense of entitlement, like our team (or some of them) are talented enough to just turn up and collect the win without breaking a sweat, then get all dispirited and sulky when the other team don't just roll over.
    Just another Kiwi basking in the reflected glory of Steven Adams....bask bask...

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    @Pelicandae is there a scorned lover we don’t know about?
    I'm not sure but hey, whatever helps him get the energy to make it through the day I guess

Haven't looked at the overall team in this way for a while, so here's where we're at 34 games in (only listing players who have played at least 500 minutes minimum):

Zion Williamson: 25.5pts, 7.2rbds, 3.4asts per game on 65.3%TS
    Brandon Ingram: 24.2pts, 5.2rbds, 4.7asts per game on 59.0% TS
    Lonzo Ball: 14.8pts, 4.3rbds, 5.2asts per game on 57.2% TS [he is now officially at league average!]
    Eric Bledsoe: 12.7pts, 3.5rbds, 3.6asts per game on 55.5% TS
    Josh Hart: 9pts, 7.4rbds, 2asts per game on 57.5% TS
    Steven Adams: 8.1pts, 9.2rbds, 2.2asts per game on 59.6%TS
    JJ Redick: 8.3pts, 1.7rbds, 1.3asts per game on 56.8% TS

That's it, nobody else has played 500 minutes minimum. NAW comes closest, with 471 logged.

Team leader in BPM: Zion Williamson, +4.5
    Team leader in WS: Zion Williamson, +4.6
    Team leader in WS/48: Zion Williamson, .202
    Team leader in PER: Zion Williamson, 26.9
    Team leader in EPM: Zion and Lonzo tied at +2.1
    Team leader in ScoreVal: Zion, +2.4
    Team leader in PlayVal: Ingram, +1.1

Since the last postponed game team is 10-9 and tied with Brooklyn for the #1 offense in the league.

They are also dead last, #30, in defense.

#pelslife

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Since the last postponed game team is 10-9 and tied with Brooklyn for the #1 offense in the league.

They are also dead last, #30, in defense.

#pelslife
    We never have both.

The one time in the last few years we've had a top 10 defense (2016-17, when we were 9th) we had the league's 26th rated offense.

A few times we've been around league average in both, but anytime we're really good on one end, we tend to absolutely blow on the other.

Haven't looked at the overall team in this way for a while, so here's where we're at 34 games in (only listing players who have played at least 500 minutes minimum):

Zion Williamson: 25.5pts, 7.2rbds, 3.4asts per game on 65.3%TS
    Brandon Ingram: 24.2pts, 5.2rbds, 4.7asts per game on 59.0% TS
    Lonzo Ball: 14.8pts, 4.3rbds, 5.2asts per game on 57.2% TS [he is now officially at league average!]
    Eric Bledsoe: 12.7pts, 3.5rbds, 3.6asts per game on 55.5% TS
    Josh Hart: 9pts, 7.4rbds, 2asts per game on 57.5% TS
    Steven Adams: 8.1pts, 9.2rbds, 2.2asts per game on 59.6%TS
    JJ Redick: 8.3pts, 1.7rbds, 1.3asts per game on 56.8% TS

That's it, nobody else has played 500 minutes minimum. NAW comes closest, with 471 logged.

Team leader in BPM: Zion Williamson, +4.5
    Team leader in WS: Zion Williamson, +4.6
    Team leader in WS/48: Zion Williamson, .202
    Team leader in PER: Zion Williamson, 26.9
    Team leader in EPM: Zion and Lonzo tied at +2.1
    Team leader in ScoreVal: Zion, +2.4
    Team leader in PlayVal: Ingram, +1.1
    Who leads the team in turnovers? I guess it's got to be either Lonzo or Bledsoe, huh?

Also, who are the teams leaders in defensive rebounding?

Thread Information