Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: February 27th - New Orleans Pelicans @ San Antonio Spurs - 14-18

We got refs pulling microscope calls from the baseline, but can't see Zion getting hack.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I would caution against having timer-bias though.

Scoring 20 points matters just as much in the first quarter as it does in the fourth. Points don't suddenly become more magical later in the game; 2 points is 2 points and it adds to the score-board in precisely the same way. Bury an opponent deep enough early enough and it doesn't matter how good they would have been in clutch time because clutch time never happens: you get garbage time instead.
    I take um-bridge saying that 20 points in the first half is equal to 20 in the second half. The weighting is completely different

Big half time leads in the NBA do not, and have never meant much
    Last edited by AusPel; 02-27-2021 at 07:30 PM.

Sure, what's the explanation for Hart getting more shots in 1 minute than Zion got in 7?

Not saying ''take shots away from Ingram'', saying ''why do we seem to have an allergy against feeding Zion for like 40% of all game minutes?''
    I'm only referencing BI having a great bounce back start from last night. Zion needs more shots

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I take umbridge saying that 20 points in the first half is equal to 20 in the second half. The weighting is completely different
    Take as much umbrage as you like; the weighting is exactly the same. A layup gives you 2 points in minute one and it gives you 2 points in minute 48. If you lose a game by 1 and someone gives you the magical ability to go back and hit one shot extra, it doesn't matter whether you hit in the first quarter or the fourth, you win the game either way.

If you played better earlier in the game, you wouldn't need clutch shots.
    Basketball.

The Franchise
    At the end of the day Zion will have the shot attempts he's supposed to have.. Nothing to worry about really.

The Franchise
    Gomez with a crazy pass lol..

Take as much umbrage as you like; the weighting is exactly the same. A layup gives you 2 points in minute one and it gives you 2 points in minute 48. If you lose a game by 1 and someone gives you the magical ability to go back and hit one shot extra, it doesn't matter whether you hit in the first quarter or the fourth, you win the game either way.

If you played better earlier in the game, you wouldn't need clutch shots.
    Blah blah face value, blah blah

You of all people should know how important scorers in the clutch are

Blah blah face value, blah blah

You of all people should know how important scorers in the clutch are
    Scorers in the clutch are important. If you end up in the clutch. If you play the game well enough, you never end up there.

Good teams don't need to extol the virtues of clutch scorers because they don't play super tight final minutes because they win the first 47 of them.

Hart leaps in front of Zion to take the rebound so that he can bring it up despite not actually being an on-ball creator, which makes no sense, and then by the time Zion gets the ball he's shoved around and the refs call it a TO rather than a foul.

Nice.

Scorers in the clutch are important. If you end up in the clutch. If you play the game well enough, you never end up there.

Good teams don't need to extol the virtues of clutch scorers because they don't play super tight final minutes because they win the first 47 of them.
    And what % of games are done by the last 5 minutes of the game?

I'd wager the VAST majority of games are still up for grabs

And it only increases when playoffs come along

20 points in the first quarter is never, and has never ever been the same as scoring 20 in the last quarter

And will never be

That's why the very concept of weighting exists
    Last edited by AusPel; 02-27-2021 at 07:37 PM.

I never enjoyed playing in SA, but I sure do love this arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I never enjoyed playing in SA, but I sure do love this arena.
    Tis a nice gym

Remember when Denver traded Donovan for Lyles

BREH

Shouldn't NAW be at the tatt studio

Why is NAW in the game

And what % of games are done by the last 5 minutes of the game?

I'd wager the VAST majority of games are still up for grabs

And it only increases when playoffs come along

20 points in the first quarter is never, and has never ever been the same as scoring 20 in the last quarter

And will never be
    No idea, never checked. That said, the fact that most games do come down to the clutch (assuming you're right, which you may well be) doesn't make my point any less true, it just means that not that many teams are better than everyone else by a significant enough margin.

NAW with some great acting.

The Franchise
    Coach Pop is packing the paint on Zion.. Guys are going to have to hit open J's..

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    Coach Pop is packing the paint on Zion.. Guys are going to have to hit open J's..
    Outside of Ingram, we are 1-6 from 3

Pelicans babyyyy

The Franchise
    Outside of Ingram, we are 1-6 from 3

Pelicans babyyyy
    I like how Zion recognizes this and is making the correct reads 90% of the time by making the appropriate pass. He just needs at least 2 guys on the floor that can finish or shoot to take advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    I like how Zion recognizes this and is making the correct reads 90% of the time by making the appropriate pass. He just needs at least 2 guys on the floor that can finish or shoot to take advantage.
    He really is an excellent passer and not even remotely selfish or hesitant with it. It's great.

As you say though, the downside to that is that you then have to rely on other guys to make shots, and our roster is not that reliable.

The Franchise
    Zion needs to take that 3 when they sag that far off..

No idea, never checked. That said, the fact that most games do come down to the clutch (assuming you're right, which you may well be) doesn't make my point any less true, it just means that not that many teams are better than everyone else by a significant enough margin.
    Sindarius Thornwell could score 20 in the 1st quarter

Nothing else matters other than how guys perform in the clutch

Really good early recognition and pass from NAW there to Hernangomez

Sindarius Thornwell could score 20 in the 1st quarter

Nothing else matters other than how guys perform in the clutch
    Agree to disagree.

Thread Information