Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: February 24th - New Orleans Pelicans VS Detroit Pistons - 13-17

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    This has been my one real complaint about the team in terms of process. If you're going to compete, then compete, and if you're not then don't. Don't do this weird in-between stuff that neither gets you a playoff run nor a better draft pick. Make your choice.

second half of the schedule is out....get the info and make a thread...

Tiger Droppings says it's brutal. That's good. We NEED to pick top 5 in this draft to have a shot at being title contenders

Especially since Griff whiffed the 4th pick trade so bad

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    second half of the schedule is out....get the info and make a thread...
    Lmao, gotcha
    Basketball.

This has been my one real complaint about the team in terms of process. If you're going to compete, then compete, and if you're not then don't. Don't do this weird in-between stuff that neither gets you a playoff run nor a better draft pick. Make your choice.
    You can't just flip the switch from not competing to competing in one season's time, unless you bring in a superstar. It's a process. And I hope you know I meant compete for a championship, not compete for a playoff spot. Right now, obviously, the goal is to compete for a playoff spot.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Tiger Droppings says it's brutal. That's good. We NEED to pick top 5 in this draft to have a shot at being title contenders

I can tell you for an absolute fact that this team will not intentionally tank

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    You can't just flip the switch from not competing to competing in one season's time, unless you bring in a superstar. It's a process. And I hope you know I meant compete for a championship, not compete for a playoff spot. Right now, obviously, the goal is to compete for a playoff spot.
    Well yeah, I meant for a playoff spot. You can't gameplan to become a championship contender in one season, you need a whole bunch of luck for that and it rarely ever happens.

Well yeah, I meant for a playoff spot. You can't gameplan to become a championship contender in one season, you need a whole bunch of luck for that and it rarely ever happens.
    Same page. I should've clarified. The team is absolutely trying to compete for a playoff spot this year and next. I get the sense that this year playoffs aren't a mandate, but next year they will be.

Same page. I should've clarified. The team is absolutely trying to compete for a playoff spot this year and next. I get the sense that this year playoffs aren't a mandate, but next year they will be.
    As they should be, but in order to get there we will have to take some actual moves towards it. If you want to be a team that wins games, you have to long-term plan with that in mind. You can't load the team with young projects and underdeveloped pieces and hoard draft picks and then say ''we're trying to win right now''.

Similarly, if your plan is to do that and build slowly through the draft, that's also fine but in that case why would you sabotage the success of that strategy by signing late career vets and trading for win-now players?

If you end up trying to latter strategy and just winning a bunch anyway cause your players develop faster than you thought they might then that's fine, but you can't play both sides in this, at least not without a bunch of confusion and probably less success than you'd have had going all in either way.

Note: that doesn't mean ''tank'', but it does mean that if you're trying to build through the draft perhaps starting the season with an 8 man playoff rotation that excludes most of your young players is not a genius move.

As they should be, but in order to get there we will have to take some actual moves towards it. If you want to be a team that wins games, you have to long-term plan with that in mind. You can't load the team with young projects and underdeveloped pieces and hoard draft picks and then say ''we're trying to win right now''.

Similarly, if your plan is to do that and build slowly through the draft, that's also fine but in that case why would you sabotage the success of that strategy by signing late career vets and trading for win-now players?

If you end up trying to latter strategy and just winning a bunch anyway cause your players develop faster than you thought they might then that's fine, but you can't play both sides in this, at least not without a bunch of confusion and probably less success than you'd have had going all in either way.

Note: that doesn't mean ''tank'', but it does mean that if you're trying to build through the draft perhaps starting the season with an 8 man playoff rotation that excludes most of your young players is not a genius move.
    The plan is to trade for a superstar either midseason 2021-2022 or in the 2022 offseason. I don't think they want to add a 3rd star to the mix right now because they want to fully understand what Zion can be prior to finalizing a roster type. Based off of who they've tried to get in the past, however, I think the most likely guy would be KAT. I know they love Beal, but I think he'll be moved this offseason. I don't think they make a move that soon unless it's a really good price point.

It's funny, last year you complained that Gentry was playing too many and this year you complain that SVG is only playing eight.
    Last edited by As I See It; 02-24-2021 at 03:11 PM.

Well it's probably more accurately Adams + Zion = no BI getting to the rim

If Melli was @ the 4 and Adams @ the 5 I'd expect it to be a little easier

Griffin's obsession with one dimensional centres will kill this team, if he hasn't already

Although, I think Willie isn't the worst type of 5 you can pair with Zion. But Adams and Jax certainly are
    If we have Zion, BI, and Adams in the lineup together, I'd rather see less dribble drives from BI, anyway, and more BI playingn off of Zion and making himself available for an open shot, or cut to the rim while everyone is Zion watching.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Another case of this team having rest while Detroit played last night. So far this year this hasn't mattered at all.
    Detroit is 3-14 in road games this year, but did win last night in Orlando. They are playing without Delon Wright who has been pretty solid this year. Overall, no excuse for not exacting some revenge after the last embarrassment against Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by pr1840 View Post
    Detroit is 3-14 in road games this year, but did win last night in Orlando. They are playing without Delon Wright who has been pretty solid this year. Overall, no excuse for not exacting some revenge after the last embarrassment against Detroit.
    They have basically no PG.

No Delon Wright, Rose just got traded to NY, and Hayes is also out injured. That leaves them with... oh

Frank Jackson and Saben Lee, both on 2 ways, I guess. That, or no PGs.

You say the organisation wants to compete a few years in the future. I agree. So why have this weird pseudo competitive season now? Get another low pick in this super loaded draft and go from there. I think everyone would have been on board with surrounding Zion with as much high end talent as possible.

And this draft is loaded as ********
    Agree completely. A high pick in this draft outweighs trying to see if we can do everything we can to compete for the 10th seed.

I can tell you for an absolute fact that this team will not intentionally tank

And no Jerami Grant.

This should be a landslide.

So I'm feeling it's going to be a trap game.

Why you care what that Deep State cesspool think?

If the refs kick JJ out our chances for victory greatly increase.

The over / under tonight is 222.5. I'm tempted to drop a nickel on the under.

The leading Detroit scorer is out...their point guard situation is a train wreck...their prized rookie hasn't played since the beginning of January....and they're a bottom feeder in every offensive category.

On the other hand, with a back to back road game tomorrow night in Milwaukee on national TV, I doubt that any of our starters play more than 30 minutes tonight, But then again, we are the Pelicans.
    Last edited by As I See It; 02-24-2021 at 06:50 PM.

Hot take: if we shoot 70% for the whole game, we will win

Annnnd the Pistons are the best 3 point shooting team in the league (tonight).

Zion has just (in the span of 3 possessions) brought the ball up full-court twice and then immediately drove it for points.

Detroit D just has absolutely nothing for him inside. Hes just walking past their defenders.

It's actually funny how unfocused we are on defense sometimes. Like, sometimes you'll see a play where three or four guys all just do the wrong thing simultaneously and then you can watch it click for all of them that they're just completely out of place and they just kind of freeze and then scramble and it's so dumb

6-12 3PTs... In the 1st QTR

I felt like I seen this movie before...

Thread Information