Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: February 24th - New Orleans Pelicans VS Detroit Pistons - 13-17

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Yep. We saw that when Zion came into the league the first thing everyone did, even as early as pre-season against the Bulls in his rookie year, was try the Giannis defense of just loading up the paint and making him face 3 or 4 guys every time he drove, and it didn't work then and it's not working now.

The only teams that have been able to really give Zion any real trouble were last years Bucks - who were a historically great interior defense built around multiple guys who are like 7 feet tall and lengthy - and that first matchup against LA his rookie year.

That's basically it. He was annihilating Gobert in like, his second or third rookie pre-season game lmfao
    Yea that's about the only team I've seen give him trouble. Within two years that J will be consistent though. Or at least improved enough to where you won't be able to sag off him and clog the paint.

They had 13 3PAs in the first quarter: finished with 37. That means they took 24 the rest of the game.

Definitely slowed the pace, but they were missing on them too, not just taking fewer: 7 makes in the first quarter (7/13), only 6/24 for the rest of the game.
    Also, defense tighten up and besides screens... and some overhelp. They weren't giving up spots on the rim.

I only caught the 2nd half though.

Pels are 7-0 this year when Zion has at least 5 assists.
    Point Zion is the future,,,,,

BI with a great game too. Fit into his perfect role as a secondary playmaker and attacked tilted defenses all game. Only really played iso ball when he was the only scorer on the floor. Him playing this way next to Zion is how they mesh and this team takes another step toward being a contender.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    That 15 second left three by Jackson ruined sports books.

The Franchise
    Shout out to Ingram.. Another Pippen like performance on offense. Great stat line across the board.

Zion and Ingram could be the best young duo in the league for the better part of a decade if things pan out. Ingram is no where near a finished product at 23. We have to remember he's going to continue to get better. Last year he didn't have a pull up 3.. this year he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    BI with a great game too. Fit into his perfect role as a secondary playmaker and attacked tilted defenses all game. Only really played iso ball when he was the only scorer on the floor. Him playing this way next to Zion is how they mesh and this team takes another step toward being a contender.
    Nah he iso'd when Zion was on the floor as well. Which as I said before is not always a bad thing. Especially when it's used to penetrate and get to the line. People really just seeing what they want to see. More importantly, did it all on high efficiency again. 27/7/8 on 50/50/86 shooting.

Meanwhile, that guy in Boston just turned in a 4 - 20 night including 1 - 8 from three. Thats 13/1/1 on 20/13/100 shooting. Yes they lost again. Ouch!

As they say, grass ain't always greener.

Yeah, I think our one and two are beginning to find that chemistry and are learning to play off each other's strengths. Would like to see more actions run through these two guys specifically now (haven't seen any Zion-Ingram inverse PNR yet, or even much Ingram-Zion PNR tbh) but regardless I like the layout of a Zion centric offense that BI can play off of as the secondary guy (and vice versa at times). Don't know if we still need a lead guard type (I still sorta think we do) but clearly most of the pieces are in place I think.

One thing this team needs to do on defense is just stop all the unnecessary helping. They just do it on auto pilot. And of course take forever to recover because they've left the orbit of the person they need to cover most.

I think it might be a case where the coaching staff drilled this into them early, but now don't want to back track and just say it's a bad strategy.

Zion finishes with 32/6/5 on 13/18 shooting (72.2%).

0 turnovers, 0 fouls.
    ....and nobody else matters, Good Night , Fans. Drive Safely!!!

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Nah he iso'd when Zion was on the floor as well. Which as I said before is not always a bad thing. Especially when it's used to penetrate and get to the line. People really just seeing what they want to see. More importantly, did it all on high efficiency again. 27/7/8 on 50/50/86 shooting.

Meanwhile, that guy in Boston just turned in a 4 - 20 night including 1 - 8 from three. Thats 13/1/1 on 20/13/100 shooting. Yes they lost again. Ouch!

As they say, grass ain't always greener.
    It's amazing to me how the guys that complain about this forum sucking contribute the most to its suckiness

Basketball Guru
    give credit to adams...i dont think we win this game without him on the glass offense and defensively...

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    give credit to adams...i dont think we will this game without him on the glass offense and defensively...
    He was huge, as always

The Franchise
    One thing this team needs to do on defense is just stop all the unnecessary helping. They just do it on auto pilot. And of course take forever to recover because they've left the orbit of the person they need to cover most.

I think it might be a case where the coaching staff drilled this into them early, but now don't want to back track and just say it's a bad strategy.
    Agreed, I don't like it at all.. Guys are too far off of their man off ball. They even leave 3 point shooters. It's definitely a coaching philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    He was huge, as always
    He's been great for us all year, really.

I know people sometimes complain because if they could design their perfect Custom Centre to fit with Zion, he would look a bit different to Adams, but at a certain point you have to realise that you can't let perfect be the enemy of good. Adams is really good.
    Basketball.

For all the Steven Adams supporters, I think you just have to stop feeding the silliness.

If you ignore it, maybe it goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    Yeah, I think our one and two are beginning to find that chemistry and are learning to play off each other's strengths. Would like to see more actions run through these two guys specifically now (haven't seen any Zion-Ingram inverse PNR yet, or even much Ingram-Zion PNR tbh) but regardless I like the layout of a Zion centric offense that BI can play off of as the secondary guy (and vice versa at times). Don't know if we still need a lead guard type (I still sorta think we do) but clearly most of the pieces are in place I think.
    First off, I very much agree that we need a lead guard to make the leap into being a legit contender. But at this point I'm fine with Zion and Ingram stretching their playmaking legs.

And I love the idea of Ingram-Zion P&R's a few times a game even though I think they might be bet utilized with one of them off ball in that action. Skeptical of that inverse P&R because Ingram's play style and frame don't really make for an ideal screener. But I'm very willing to try it and be proven wrong because why the hell not.

First off, I very much agree that we need a lead guard to make the leap into being a legit contender. But at this point I'm fine with Zion and Ingram stretching their playmaking legs.

And I love the idea of Ingram-Zion P&R's a few times a game even though I think they might be bet utilized with one of them off ball in that action. Skeptical of that inverse P&R because Ingram's play style and frame don't really make for an ideal screener. But I'm very willing to try it and be proven wrong because why the hell not.
    In a Zion/Ingram PnR, you won't have to worry about Ingram's screening, because you're just going to see a switch there. Like tonight, Bey and Sembouya can just switch and you don't really gain anymore advantage than you already had.

Against some teams it may be worthwhile. But the Zion/Redick action seems like a perfect match.

In a Zion/Ingram PnR, you won't have to worry about Ingram's screening, because you're just going to see a switch there. Like tonight, Bey and Sembouya can just switch and you don't really gain anymore advantage than you already had.

Against some teams it may be worthwhile. But the Zion/Redick action seems like a perfect match.
    Yea that was kind of my point. Guess I should have elaborated. It's not that I think it would fail, I just think Ingram is better attacking a scrambling defense than being directly involved setting the pick, especially considering he's usually gonna have a larger player defending him. An inverted P&R with Zion seems to work better with a quick catch and shoot player like Redick because not only do they have to stick to that guy's hip, but any switch is going to be against a smaller defender.

They absolutely needed this game tonight. The last 5 of this 1st half are kinda brutal.

They really need to try and at least win a minimum 2 of those games.

Yea that was kind of my point. Guess I should have elaborated. It's not that I think it would fail, I just think Ingram is better attacking a scrambling defense than being directly involved setting the pick, especially considering he's usually gonna have a larger player defending him. An inverted P&R with Zion seems to work better with a quick catch and shoot player like Redick because not only do they have to stick to that guy's hip, but any switch is going to be against a smaller defender.
    Yeah, you're absolutely right, but I think it would only be due diligence to try that inverted PNR down the line and see if there ends up being something to it. But the concern shouldn't be that the PNR will just be switched; naturally Ingram would have to have a smaller player guarding him. The concern as you say is Ingram not being a pure catch and shoot guy and probably not being a great screener due to his slight frame. But again, doesn't hurt to tat least try.

Since they won and this is probably dead now. Just going to leave this here. Had a very Zion-esque 12 - 15 (3 - 5 from three) game, 28 pts. Only 1 assist but it's the g-league. Dudes in there ain't trying to share nothin.

Regardless, 12 - 15 is impressive anywhere.

If Lakers keep losing, we might get their pick yet! (8-30 protected)

Really happy we put the Pistons down, Zion is so great to watch right now being given more control of the offense. Still going to advocate for keeping Lonzo. Adams looked rested and brought things willy can't. It has dawned on my that with Zion doing so much ball handling and dribble drive it may actually be irrelevant to have a stretch 5.

Zion finishes with 32/6/5 on 13/18 shooting (72.2%).

0 turnovers, 0 fouls.
    To put this in perspective, Lebron hasn’t had a game with 0 turnovers all year. Now obviously, at this point in his career, Zion isn’t creating for others at Lebron’s level yet, but he is getting there. And on the flip side, his shot is nowhere near Lebron’s yet, so he is driving into the teeth of a defense that knows exactly what is coming much more often, yet still cannot stop it. His handle and passing are growing by leaps and bounds this year. At this point he has proven to me that he has truly unlimited potential offensively. Defense remains the only question mark and I think we’ve seen improvement there over last year as well.

We are incredibly fortunate that we get to watch the development of a potentially transcendent NBA talent.
    Last edited by pr1840; 02-25-2021 at 04:42 AM.

Thread Information