Pelicans Report

Thread: Deadspin article on Zion

Pelicans Deadspin article on Zion

Didn?t see this posted but do you think Zion needs to diversify his game? It is an interesting thought.

https://deadspin.com/zion-williamson...-if-1846288508

Do you agree or is this just a Deadpin writer acting like a deadspin writer?

It's a Deadspin writer acting like a Deadspin writer.

Will Zion add to his game as he grows? Absolutely.

But speculating about whether he's enough to win a championship, as this article does, fewer than a full season's worth of games into his career is ridiculous at best and pure insanity at worst.

Secondly, it also reads like someone who doesn't actually watch the games. Warning that people might ''start'' defending Zion like they defend Giannis, as if he doesn't meet 4 bodies in the paint a dozen times a night and score through them anyway. They've been building a wall on Zion since Game 1 of the preseason last year, and he's been shredding it since.

Thirdly, he mentions that Zion's stats ''resemble'' Giannis' more than anyone else's, which isn't really true given that Zion has already flashed more as a shooter ever has, and is passing at age 20 in a way that it took Giannis until he was 25 to figure out - and which Giannis still occasionally just forgets to do.

Garbage writing by someone who doesn't even watch the Pels.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    It's a Deadspin writer acting like a Deadspin writer.

Will Zion add to his game as he grows? Absolutely.

But speculating about whether he's enough to win a championship, as this article does, fewer than a full season's worth of games into his career is ridiculous at best and pure insanity at worst.

Secondly, it also reads like someone who doesn't actually watch the games. Warning that people might ''start'' defending Zion like they defend Giannis, as if he doesn't meet 4 bodies in the paint a dozen times a night and score through them anyway. They've been building a wall on Zion since Game 1 of the preseason last year, and he's been shredding it since.

Thirdly, he mentions that Zion's stats ''resemble'' Giannis' more than anyone else's, which isn't really true given that Zion has already flashed more as a shooter ever has, and is passing at age 20 in a way that it took Giannis until he was 25 to figure out - and which Giannis still occasionally just forgets to do.

Garbage writing by someone who doesn't even watch the Pels.
    It’s obviously a Lebron writer.

Just look at the last few champions in the league and the best player on their roster.

2020 Lakers - LeBron James (three-level scorer)

2019 Raptors - Kawhi Leonard (three-level scorer)

2017 & 2018 Golden State - Kevin Durant (three-level scorer)
    I think noneck at ESPN said the same thing.

Hopefully the writer is right. One day we could be a championship team. I think if Ingram comes in a little more it could take pressure off Zion. We get Zion help and take pressure off him Zion will absolutely ignite into 3 tier.

This article is garbage, most points scorer thru first 50 games while ALSO being the youngest. Yes our 20 year old generational talent needs to add to his game? Yeah sure give him a little time, at least until he’s old enough to buy alcohol. And like someone already said, people pack the paint and he still destroys them. Zion at 25 could rival any player that’s ever stepped onto the court.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    This article is garbage, most points scorer thru first 50 games while ALSO being the youngest. Yes our 20 year old generational talent needs to add to his game? Yeah sure give him a little time, at least until he’s old enough to buy alcohol. And like someone already said, people pack the paint and he still destroys them. Zion at 25 could rival any player that’s ever stepped onto the court.
    Good points. I just hope we don’t lose what we got. Remember Shaq did not a championship in Orlando. Anthony Davis did not win us a championship. I truly think we are gifted to have Zion and don’t want to lose that. On that note he is still growing. The best has yet to come.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 02-18-2021 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Good points. I just hope we don’t lose what we got. Remember Shaq did not a championship in Orlando. Anthony Davis did not win us a championship. I truly think we are gifted to have Zion and don’t want to lose that.
    I agree, people aren’t gonna want to hear this but if we aren’t winning game and contenders at the end of his rookie deal he’s gone, if we are he stays. I think it’s that simple honestly.

I agree, people aren’t gonna want to hear this but if we aren’t winning game and contenders at the end of his rookie deal he’s gone, if we are he stays. I think it’s that simple honestly.
    Agree.

I don't think it's quite as simple as that (at the end of his rookie deal he can't just walk, when you draft a player unless they force a trade you basically guarantee you have them for at least 7 years) but I don't think anyone is arguing that we need to be a winning team on a clear path by the end of Zion's rookie deal.

I think we're all pretty comfortable in saying this team needs to be a playoff team, even if only an 8th seed, next year at the latest. And a consistent one, not just a one-time wonder.

I don't think it's quite as simple as that (at the end of his rookie deal he can't just walk, when you draft a player unless they force a trade you basically guarantee you have them for at least 7 years) but I don't think anyone is arguing that we need to be a winning team on a clear path by the end of Zion's rookie deal.

I think we're all pretty comfortable in saying this team needs to be a playoff team, even if only an 8th seed, next year at the latest. And a consistent one, not just a one-time wonder.
    We have to find a couple of players who's end game is winning. Right now, we have a bunch of guys who are just happy being an NBA Player. We need a Chris Paul, Rajon Rondo, or Jimmy Butler on this team, HOLDING PEOPLE ACCOUNTABLE. Hopefully, Kira fits the bill.
    Last edited by As I See It; 02-18-2021 at 03:43 PM.

At the end of his rookie year couldn’t he just decline our 5 year max and accept another teams 4 year max?

At the end of his rookie year couldn’t he just decline our 5 year max and accept another teams 4 year max?
    No, cause at the end of the rookie deal the team that drafts a player has the option to match any offer he's given. That's why it's extremely rare to see superstars traded on their rookie deals: there's just no reason to do it, everyone knows they can't walk.

No, cause at the end of the rookie deal the team that drafts a player has the option to match any offer he's given. That's why it's extremely rare to see superstars traded on their rookie deals: there's just no reason to do it, everyone knows they can't walk.
    Oh wow we can match any other teams offer and Zion can’t choose the other teams offer over ours, so basically at the end of his rookie deal he’s a redirected free agent?

Basketball Guru
    im going to say it...in these 28 games, zion is playing better than AD is playing this season.....the org has to make this work by getting the right players....

Oh wow we can match any other teams offer and Zion can’t choose the other teams offer over ours, so basically at the end of his rookie deal he’s a redirected free agent?
    Yes, basically the nuclear option for him would be to play 1 year under the qualifying offer and then be unrestricted...at that point it would be trade time. Nobody's done it yet (turned down max extension to play under the qualifying offer).

Thread Information