Pelicans Report

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15

Thread: February 21st - New Orleans Pelicans VS Boston Celtics - 12-17

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    As it says, it refutes the myth that Adams is the defensive rebounder others claim he is. Did you not see the "There's no reason for him (Williamson) to prioritize "ten rebounds as the norm" when Adams plays significant minutes" comment?

The number...all the numbers...speak for themselves.

But this was your quote-

Less than five defensive rebounds a game from a power forward who leaps out of the building and is built like Everest is a head scratcher. Defense and rebounding are 'want to' skills. Either you do, or you don't.
    so my question was - What do the numbers reveal? That we rebound as a team? If they are 2nd in total rebound rate and 4th in defensive rebound rate, what is the concern?

That Mount Zion does not produce at the level of, either, his 'alleged superstar peers' in the league, or his peers on his team in that area. Measurables are measurables; but, if you can argue otherwise, I'll listen.

Team stats are great; I believe in them implicitly. You want to guess who's in the bottom half of the league in Defensive Rebounding?

Another team stat I look at is winning percentage.

That Mount Zion does not produce at the level of, either, his 'alleged superstar peers' in the league, or his peers on his team in that area. Measurables are measurables; but, if you can argue otherwise, I'll listen.

Team stats are great; I believe in them implicitly. You want to guess who's in the bottom half of the league in Defensive Rebounding?

Another team stat I look at is winning percentage.
    Then obviously rebounding isn't where you should be focusing your complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Then obviously rebounding isn't where you should be focusing your complaints.
    I can walk and chew at the same time.

I can walk and chew at the same time.
    Honestly, walking and eating is disgusting and messy in motion. Sit down and let your body digest food.

To read the 'experts' here. you would think that Brandon Ingram was little more than a wallflower in the amazing comeback yesterday. It's sad (but not surprising) when you have to rely on the national folks to 'tell it like it is'. But se' la vie.

https://www.dailysabah.com/sports/ba...owers-pelicans

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/ba...eason-high-33/
    Put up an efficient Durant style 33 point game with Jaylen Brown hounding him for most of it.

I'm probably Josh Hart's #1 fan on here since last year, but we don't have one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Put up an efficient Durant style 33 point game with Jaylen Brown hounding him for most of it.

I'm probably Josh Hart's #1 fan on here since last year, but we don't have one of those.
    You really couldn't ask for a better sidekick stateline to be honest too.

If it was so easy to have a team full 30 pt scorers at 60%... Well, that obviously doesn't exist.

I love Josh Hart aswell. I just wish he could properly read a fastbreak.

In the fourth quarter, we did something defensively, we don't normally do. We picked up the ball as soon as Boston got the ball in front court. Even Melli was coming out to midcourt to put pressure on and trap (causing at least one turnover) and we covered underneath for him until he fell back into the paint. It was a thing of beauty. Defensively, we were all hitting the boards...again, a Pelican rarity.

SVG is absolutely correct.

We have all the offense we need to win big in this league. What we need is more defense and rebounding like we saw in the fourth quarter last night.
    Last edited by As I See It; 02-23-2021 at 12:28 AM.

While I was looking up playtype numbers for Zach Lavine, I noticed some cool stuff about some of our guys, I thought I'd share it here. I'm only sharing the top 3 guys on the team in each stat, in terms of percentile, so if you're wondering why I've listened X player and not Y, that's why. The other limitation is that the player has to have run at least 1 of each possession in each game they play in: I don't care if someone ranks as 100th percentile in transition if they've only played in one transition possession all year.

Pick and Roll Ball Handler
    Zion Williamson: 9.1% of offense, 1.14points per possession, 94th percentile.
    JJ Redick: 8.6% of offense, 1.11ppp, 91st percentile.
    Brandon Ingram: 34.4% of offense, 1.04ppp, 83rd percentile.

Transition:
    Nickeil Alexander Walker: 15.7% of offense, 1.41 ppp, 97th percentile
    Zion Williamson:15.4%, 1.26ppp, 74th percentile
    JJ Redick: 13.8%, 1.21ppp, 63rd percentile

Isolation
    Zion Williamson: 10.2% of offense, 1.16ppp, 86th percentile
    Eric Bledsoe: 4.8% of offense, 1.06ppp, 72nd percentile
    Brandon Ingram: 13.1% of offense, 0.94ppp, 57th percentile

Pick and Roll - Roll Man:
    Zion Williamson: 5.2% of offense, 1.25ppp, 74th percentile
    Steven Adams: 24.2% of offense, 1.04ppp, 36th percentile
    Willy Hernangomez: 15.1% of offense, 1.00ppp, 30th percentile

Post Ups
    Zion Williamson: 15.7% of offense, 1.01ppp, 69th percentile
    [NOBODY ELSE HAS DONE AT LEAST 1 POST UP PER GAME]

Spot Ups
    Brandon Ingram: 18.7% of offense, 1.2ppp, 82nd percentile
    Eric Bledsoe: 31.5% of offense, 1.18ppp, 79th percentile
    JJ Redick: 27.6% of offense, 1.16ppp, 74th percentile

Handoffs:
    Brandon Ingram: 5.7%, 1.18ppp, 83rd percentile
    JJ Redick: 25.7%, 0.82ppp, 34th percentile
    [NOBODY ELSE HAS TAKEN AT LEAST 1 HANDOFF PER GAME]

Cutting
    Zion Williamson: 14.7%, 1.45ppp, 80th percentile
    Jaxson Hayes: 24.4%, 1.43ppp, 76th percentile
    Willy Hernangomez: 25.5%, 0.93ppp, 8th percentile

Off Screens
    Brandon Ingram: 6.6%, 1.18ppp, 82nd percentile
    JJ Redick: 13.3%, 0.86ppp, 32nd percentile
    [NOBODY ELSE HAS TAKEN AT LEAST 1 OFF-SCREEN 3 A GAME]

Put-Backs
    Zion Williamson: 9.6%, 1.36ppp, 87th percentile
    Steven Adams: 31.2%, 1.11ppp, 45th percentile
    Willy Hernangomez: 28.3%, 0.87ppp, 16th percentile

Misc - Note: nobody on the team has taken at least 1 misc shot per game, so I'm just showing the top 3 in percentile regardless of number
    Zion Williamson: 3.2%, 0.85ppp, 86th percentile
    Brandon Ingram: 4.8%, 0.7ppp, 71st percentile
    JJ Redick: 3%, 0.65ppp, 66th percentile.

This has been the Zion Williamson is our best offensive player stat show-case
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    While I was looking up playtype numbers for Zach Lavine, I noticed some cool stuff about some of our guys, I thought I'd share it here. I'm only sharing the top 3 guys on the team in each stat, in terms of percentile, so if you're wondering why I've listened X player and not Y, that's why. The other limitation is that the player has to have run at least 1 of each possession in each game they play in: I don't care if someone ranks as 100th percentile in transition if they've only played in one transition possession all year.

Pick and Roll Ball Handler
    Zion Williamson: 9.1% of offense, 1.14points per possession, 94th percentile.
    JJ Redick: 8.6% of offense, 1.11ppp, 91st percentile.
    Brandon Ingram: 34.4% of offense, 1.04ppp, 83rd percentile.

Transition:
    Nickeil Alexander Walker: 15.7% of offense, 1.41 ppp, 97th percentile
    Zion Williamson:15.4%, 1.26ppp, 74th percentile
    JJ Redick: 13.8%, 1.21ppp, 63rd percentile

Isolation
    Zion Williamson: 10.2% of offense, 1.16ppp, 86th percentile
    Eric Bledsoe: 4.8% of offense, 1.06ppp, 72nd percentile
    Brandon Ingram: 13.1% of offense, 0.94ppp, 57th percentile

Pick and Roll - Roll Man:
    Zion Williamson: 5.2% of offense, 1.25ppp, 74th percentile
    Steven Adams: 24.2% of offense, 1.04ppp, 36th percentile
    Willy Hernangomez: 15.1% of offense, 1.00ppp, 30th percentile

Post Ups
    Zion Williamson: 15.7% of offense, 1.01ppp, 69th percentile
    [NOBODY ELSE HAS DONE AT LEAST 1 POST UP PER GAME]

Spot Ups
    Brandon Ingram: 18.7% of offense, 1.2ppp, 82nd percentile
    Eric Bledsoe: 31.5% of offense, 1.18ppp, 79th percentile
    JJ Redick: 27.6% of offense, 1.16ppp, 74th percentile

Handoffs:
    Brandon Ingram: 5.7%, 1.18ppp, 83rd percentile
    JJ Redick: 25.7%, 0.82ppp, 34th percentile
    [NOBODY ELSE HAS TAKEN AT LEAST 1 HANDOFF PER GAME]

Cutting
    Zion Williamson: 14.7%, 1.45ppp, 80th percentile
    Jaxson Hayes: 24.4%, 1.43ppp, 76th percentile
    Willy Hernangomez: 25.5%, 0.93ppp, 8th percentile

Off Screens
    Brandon Ingram: 6.6%, 1.18ppp, 82nd percentile
    JJ Redick: 13.3%, 0.86ppp, 32nd percentile
    [NOBODY ELSE HAS TAKEN AT LEAST 1 OFF-SCREEN 3 A GAME]

Put-Backs
    Zion Williamson: 9.6%, 1.36ppp, 87th percentile
    Steven Adams: 31.2%, 1.11ppp, 45th percentile
    Willy Hernangomez: 28.3%, 0.87ppp, 16th percentile

Misc - Note: nobody on the team has taken at least 1 misc shot per game, so I'm just showing the top 3 in percentile regardless of number
    Zion Williamson: 3.2%, 0.85ppp, 86th percentile
    Brandon Ingram: 4.8%, 0.7ppp, 71st percentile
    JJ Redick: 3%, 0.65ppp, 66th percentile.

This has been the Zion Williamson is our best offensive player stat show-case
    Just to be clear, the higher the percentile the better?

So to be in the 100th percentile is better than being in the 1st percentile?

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Just to be clear, the higher the percentile the better?

So to be in the 100th percentile is better than being in the 1st percentile?
    Yeah, 100th percentile is the best possible, 1st percentile is the worst.

Are there a similar stats for defense, like...

- Losing sight of the ball at least once per game?

- Losing your man at least once per game?

- Unsuccessfully playing PnR at least once a game?

- Playing Defense with your hands at least once a game?

- Being 'backdoored' at least once a game?

- Being beaten back defensively off of a made basket at least once a game?

- Failure to block out at least once a game?

- Fouling a jump shooter at least once a game?

- Flopping at least once a game?

Also is there a such thing as +/- on blocked shots or turnovers vs causing a turnover?

Just Asking!!

Also is there a such thing as +/- on blocked shots or turnovers vs causing a turnover?

Just Asking!!
    Yep, you can look under the average age of your core and figure this one out pretty quickly. Probably the best statistic for this sort of question.

The Pels are currently the 7th youngest team in the NBA, with an average age of 25.1. If you remove JJ from the equation, they would be sitting at an average age of 24.2, which would be third youngest in the NBA.

The list of teams younger than the Pels:
    Minnesota
    Charlotte
    Memphis
    Detroit
    Boston
    Denver

Denver, at 16-14, is the only team of this group above .500, but their age is mostly reduced by guys who aren't part of their rotation. Plus, they're significantly underachieving given the dominance of Joker.

Young teams, rookies, potential is fun in theory, but in practice it can be mind-numbingly frustrating. We too quickly lose sight of the goal, which is building for 2023 and beyond. The issues you mentioned above will improve with age and experience. Just relax and enjoy the process. Wins and losses are not the end of the world yet

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Yep, you can look under the average age of your core and figure this one out pretty quickly. Probably the best statistic for this sort of question.

The Pels are currently the 7th youngest team in the NBA, with an average age of 25.1. If you remove JJ from the equation, they would be sitting at an average age of 24.2, which would be third youngest in the NBA.

The list of teams younger than the Pels:
    Minnesota
    Charlotte
    Memphis
    Detroit
    Boston
    Denver

Denver, at 16-14, is the only team of this group above .500, but their age is mostly reduced by guys who aren't part of their rotation. Plus, they're significantly underachieving given the dominance of Joker.

Young teams, rookies, potential is fun in theory, but in practice it can be mind-numbingly frustrating. We too quickly lose sight of the goal, which is building for 2023 and beyond. The issues you mentioned above will improve with age and experience. Just relax and enjoy the process. Wins and losses are not the end of the world yet
    I wonder how he'd feel watching the Clippers and seeing Kawhi Leonard rank in the 62nd percentile as a PnR ballhandler defender?

Probably go on a rant about how he gets beaten backdoor 13 times a game or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I wonder how he'd feel watching the Clippers and seeing Kawhi Leonard rank in the 62nd percentile as a PnR ballhandler defender?

Probably go on a rant about how he gets beaten backdoor 13 times a game or something.
    Nobody is ranting, dae-loris. I asked a legitimate question about the game of basketball. I did so as it relates to the Pelican players...not the Clippers'.

You see, I'm one of those dying breeds who believes there are two sides of a basketball court. that's all. But, you know that. To some degree, you and I have been down this road before as it relates to JAXSON; remember? You salivated on the flamboyance of his God-given athleticism, while I was troubled about how raw he was defensively. How have things worked out for him to date? Good old "Flash or Crash" is still.

As we speak, this TEAM (and that's ultimately all I care about) is weak; and, I assure you that all the glitzy individual offensive numbers that you cite do not address any of the glaring deficiencies of the TEAM. That's why I asked about a statistical analysis of the defense.

For me, it's about the TEAM and always will be.

I could say "Jesus Effing Christ" at this point, but that would be plagiarism, huh? Besides, I'm a better man than that.
    Last edited by As I See It; 02-23-2021 at 12:52 PM.

You also have to look at the schemes...where Zion is used at on the floor. On offense if he doesn't have the ball I normally see him outside the arc so BI can go offensively. hard to get rebounds from out there. On defense he gets in alot of PnRs where he has to recover. Teams purposely focus on him because he's a freak physically.

Nobody is ranting, dae-loris.
    Yikes

We really arguing about rebounds as a top rebounding team... Yikes

Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    You also have to look at the schemes...where Zion is used at on the floor. On offense if he doesn't have the ball I normally see him outside the arc so BI can go offensively. hard to get rebounds from out there. On defense he gets in alot of PnRs where he has to recover. Teams purposely focus on him because he's a freak physically.
    This is true, and part of why Zion has one of the highest spot-up rates on the team despite basically never taking shots in those possessions lmao

Nobody is ranting, dae-loris. I asked a legitimate question about the game of basketball. I did so as it relates to the Pelican players...not the Clippers'.

You see, I'm one of those dying breeds who believes there are two sides of a basketball court. that's all. But, you know that. To some degree, you and I have been down this road before as it relates to JAXSON; remember? You salivated on the flamboyance of his God-given athleticism, while I was troubled about how raw he was defensively. How have things worked out for him to date? Good old "Flash or Crash" is still.

As we speak, this TEAM (and that's ultimately all I care about) is weak; and, I assure you that all the glitzy individual offensive numbers that you cite do not address any of the glaring deficiencies of the TEAM. That's why I asked about a statistical analysis of the defense.

For me, it's about the TEAM and always will be.

I could say "Jesus Effing Christ" at this point, but that would be plagiarism, huh? Besides, I'm a better man than that.
    You have got to be a MM troll account. No way you and him aren’t the same person.

Just Asking!!
    I should probably mute you, but first, please, for the love of god, tell me, who the hell on this team flops?

Great game to watch, superb team win!

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    You have got to be a MM troll account. No way you and him aren’t the same person.
    Would not surprise me in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    It has crossed my mind as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Yikes
    Th truth is in my screen name.

Thread Information