Pelicans Report

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: February 21st - New Orleans Pelicans VS Boston Celtics - 12-17

Quote Originally Posted by Pels4Life View Post
    Got this article in my mail this morning about point zion > https://slate.com/culture/2021/02/zi...its-scary.html

...Point Zion...I like it.
    Nice read. I can see Zion developing even more as a playmaker in the future. Even Julius Randle has become a pretty good playmaker so its really no telling how good Zion could develop that part of his game.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Yes it matters when Steven is not in the game, and it also means the ball is already in Zion's hands to take it up the floor.

It's not about overall team rebounds. It's about what it means for getting into sets and it also means he's near the basket to contest shots.

I don't care what angle media uses, but it absolutely helps this team when Zion is getting rebounds, especially on the defensive end. BI for that matter as well.

Getting rebounds is never NOT a priority for any individual player.
    Well, I think it was pretty clear when Steven and H.G. weren't in the game he was tasked with getting more rebounds and he did that. Cause -> effect. But there's no reason for him to prioritize "10 rebounds as the norm" when Adams plays significant minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Well, I think it was pretty clear when Steven and H.G. weren't in the game he was tasked with getting more rebounds and he did that. Cause -> effect. But there's no reason for him to prioritize "10 rebounds as the norm" when Adams plays significant minutes.
    He needs to prioritize rebounding as every Pelican should. That doesnt change when Adams or Hernangomez plays.

I much rather Zion or BI get that rebound and start the offense immediately to get the defense off balance. Rather than Adams get it and wait for somebody. Or Lonzo get it and run up the floor like a headless chicken. Or throw a full court lob that finally shatters Zion's ACL. Or Hart get it and go 1 on 4.

The bottom line is there is no logical argument against Zion getting or prioritizing more rebounds on either end. What are we doing? tf
    Last edited by luckyman; 02-22-2021 at 10:31 AM.

He needs to prioritize rebounding as every Pelican should. That doesnt change when Adams or Hernangomez plays.

I much rather Zion or BI get that rebound and start the offense immediately to get the defense off balance. Rather than Adams get it and wait for somebody. Or Lonzo get it and run up the floor like a headless chicken. Or throw a full court lob that finally shatters Zion's ACL. Or Hart get it and go 1 on 4.

The bottom line is there is no logical argument against Zion getting or prioritizing more rebounds on either end. What are we doing? tf
    Not sure the coaches agree. If they are comfortable with Adams getting the rebound, the others could get down court. Just because Adams gets the rebound does not mean he will be initiating the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Not sure the coaches agree. If they are comfortable with Adams getting the rebound, the others could get down court. Just because Adams gets the rebound does not mean he will be initiating the offense.
    Originally Posted by luckyman
    Rather than Adams get it and wait for somebody.
    Which part of that says Adams initiates? I didnt say its bad if Adams rebounds. I said I'd rather Zion or BI specifically so they can immediately start the offense. Like how Dallas does with Luka. The Lakers with Lebron. Boston with Tatum. Clippers with Kawhi. The ball in Zion's/BI's handss early and often is a good thing.

Am I in the Pr twilight zone again?
    Last edited by luckyman; 02-22-2021 at 11:14 AM.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Which part of that says Adams initiates? I didnt say its bad if Adams rebounds. I said I'd rather Zion or BI specifically so they can immediately start the offense. Like how Dallas does with Luka. The Lakers with Lebron. Boston with Tatum. Clippers with Kawhi. The ball in Zion's/BI's handss early and often is a good thing.

I think Zion will start to do this more often. BI probably a little less since he isn’t as close to the rim. I like your thinking because it instantly speeds up the offensive sets when the ball handler can start the possession with the ball. I have noticed that BI scores a large amount when he is the rebounder. A lot of times it’s resulted in a layup or foul. But, I don’t think he will turn into Josh Hart mentally where he attacks the boards every possession.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    I think Zion will start to do this more often. BI probably a little less since he isn’t as close to the rim. I like your thinking because it instantly speeds up the offensive sets when the ball handler can start the possession with the ball. I have noticed that BI scores a large amount when he is the rebounder. A lot of times it’s resulted in a layup or foul. But, I don’t think he will turn into Josh Hart mentally where he attacks the boards every possession.
    THANK YOU. Jeezus Christ this place here.

It's not my thinking. Lots of teams want their star playmakers doing that. It immediately puts the defense on edge. Add Ben Simmons for the 76ers as another one.

To read the 'experts' here. you would think that Brandon Ingram was little more than a wallflower in the amazing comeback yesterday. It's sad (but not surprising) when you have to rely on the national folks to 'tell it like it is'. But se' la vie.

https://www.dailysabah.com/sports/ba...owers-pelicans

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/ba...eason-high-33/

In a perfect world, certainly. The difference is that those teams do not have a 5 whose main contribution is to rebound. Adams is going to "steal" rebounds from others as that is his focus.

Teams are intentionally pulling Zion away from the basket defensively because he was so bad at closing out earlier in the season. That is the main reason for his drop in rebounding. He?s almost always on the floor with another big, which means that he?s likely guarding a shooter. His rebounding rate will rise as his defensive IQ improves, putting himself in better position to get those boards.

Our guards are also tremendous rebounders. Another explanation for Zion?s lower numbers. It?s not really an issue in my opinion.

I?d like to see him attack the offensive glass even more, but you can tell Stan is prioritizing getting back defensively so the team can learn how to play a set defense and that?s fine for now. I think as this team grows up defensively in the coming years, we?ll see more of an emphasis on offensive rebounding.

Less than five defensive rebounds a game from a power forward who leaps out of the building and is built like Everest is a head scratcher. Defense and rebounding are 'want to' skills. Either you do, or you don't. (See Charles Barkley, Dennis Rodman, Paul Silas, or Josh Hart....for that matter)

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Less than five defensive rebounds a game from a power forward who leaps out of the building and is built like Everest is a head scratcher. Defense and rebounding are 'want to' skills. Either you do, or you don't. (See Charles Barkley, Dennis Rodman, Paul Silas, or Josh Hart....for that matter)
    lol isn’t a head scratcher at all, Adam’s and heart are such great rebounders Zion is constantly leaking out for the fast break. Could Zion crash down and stay down for boards? Absolutely, could he average 10 a game? Absolutely, what you don’t understand is Zion isn’t a typica power forward. Zion can rebound well, that’s not what SVG is asking of him. Posts like this are why I rarely come on here anymore

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    You can crash the glass or be ready for a fast break. Either defending or on offense.

Rarely can teams do both and if they do, someone is not getting rebounds.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    lol isn’t a head scratcher at all, Adam’s and heart are such great rebounders Zion is constantly leaking out for the fast break. Could Zion crash down and stay down for boards? Absolutely, could he average 10 a game? Absolutely, what you don’t understand is Zion isn’t a typica power forward. Zion can rebound well, that’s not what SVG is asking of him. Posts like this are why I rarely come on here anymore
    Less than five in almost 33 minutes per game.
    Last edited by As I See It; 02-22-2021 at 01:59 PM.

Wow some Celtics fans are calling for Brad Stevens to be fired after last night.

Less than five in almost 33 minutes per game.
    Cool good job, what’s your point? I think you’re correlating his lack of rebound numbers with his rebounding ability. Yes his rebound numbers are not high, but it’s not because he isn’t a good rebounder lol.

The first figure is defensive rebounds per game; the second - total rebounds per game. The Pelican numbers are revealing.

Giannis: 10.1; 11.9
    Lebron James: 7.6; 8.2
    Luka: 7.4; 8.6
    Kevin Durant: 6.9; 7.3
    Jason Tatum: 6.5: 7.1

PELICANS

Josh Hart: 6.6; 7.6
    Brandon: 4.7; 5.3
    Steven Adams; 4.6; 8.9
    Zion: 4.4; 6.8

IS ADAMS REALLY HOGGING THE DEFENSIVE BOARDS?
    Last edited by As I See It; 02-22-2021 at 02:38 PM.

The Pels are fourth in defensive rebound rate, first in offensive rebound rate, and second in total rebound rate. Individual stats are meaningless except for getting accolades.

Zion is clearly doing his job on the glass, whether or not that satisfies you or Charles Barkley

I'm still trying to figure out what's a better clutch moment for Zion.

The 8 second go-ahead layup and One or the Assist to Ingram 3 dagger in OT.

Classic plays in a young career.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post

Yep, Ingram sure came up big when it counted.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post

I like the assist more. Not only did he show he trusts his teammates, but he threw the perfect pass at the perfect time. The play is not defendable. The Pels should get a good look out of that every time.

The first figure is defensive rebounds per game; the second - total rebounds per game. The Pelican numbers are revealing.

Giannis: 10.1; 11.9
    Lebron James: 7.6; 8.2
    Luka: 7.4; 8.6
    Kevin Durant: 6.9; 7.3
    Jason Tatum: 6.5: 7.1

PELICANS

Josh Hart: 6.6; 7.6
    Brandon: 4.7; 5.3
    Steven Adams; 4.6; 8.9
    Zion: 4.4; 6.8

IS ADAMS REALLY HOGGING THE DEFENSIVE BOARDS?
    What does it reveal? That we rebound as a team? If they are 2nd in total rebound rate and 4th in defensive rebound rate, what is the concern?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    What does it reveal? That we rebound as a team? If they are 2nd in total rebound rate and 4th in defensive rebound rate, what is the concern?
    As it says, it refutes the myth that Adams is the defensive rebounder others claim he is. Did you not see the "There's no reason for him (Williamson) to prioritize "ten rebounds as the norm" when Adams plays significant minutes" comment?

The number...all the numbers...speak for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    The Pels are fourth in defensive rebound rate, first in offensive rebound rate, and second in total rebound rate. Individual stats are meaningless except for getting accolades.

Zion is clearly doing his job on the glass, whether or not that satisfies you or Charles Barkley
    There was an interesting episode of the "Thinking Basketball" podcast that really supports this line of thinking about rebounds. It is from a while ago, but I will see if I can find it.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    As it says, it refutes the myth that Adams is the defensive rebounder others claim he is. Did you not see the "There's no reason for him (Williamson) to prioritize "ten rebounds as the norm" when Adams plays significant minutes" comment?

The number...all the numbers...speak for themselves.
    The only number that matters is the team number. If we're #1 and #4 respectively, then what does it matter? I think Pelafanatic summed things up really well in post #335.

Also, aren't you the guy that said Covid-19 was going away after Election Day?

Thread Information