Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: February 19th - New Orleans Pelicans VS Phoenix Suns - 12-16

Pelicans February 19th - New Orleans Pelicans VS Phoenix Suns - 12-16

I think we all saw this coming: after visibly tweaking his ankle and not returning to the game last time around, Adams is listed as doubtful on the Pelicans injury report, with an ankle sprain.

Tonight we play the Phoenix Suns, who are 17-10 (same record Portland had last game) and who are one of only 2 teams in the NBA to have both their offense and defense rank inside the top 10 league wide: 10th in ORtg, 7th in DRtg. The only other team to achieve that is the Utah Jazz, who have the league's best record.

Part of this is pace: the Suns play the second slowest game in the league, so they have a bit more time to set their defense, but that's not the entire thing. The breakout of Mikal Bridges into his full defensive power, CP3 somehow still having it despite his age, Devin Booker improving to be not-disastrous on that end, and the solid team D of guys like Cam Johnson and Jae Crowder are helping them a lot. Ayton, too, is having his best defensive season despite still being a bit of a stiff in space.

The strength of Phoenix's offense doesn't come from red hot shooting, either. They're a solid team in FG% and 3pt%, falling 10th and 16th in those ranks respectively, but part of what makes their offense so potent is the lack of mistakes: they turn the ball over barely 13 times a game, 4th lowest in the NBA, and when they get fouled they make sure it counts, averaging 83.5% from the line as a team - that's 2nd in the NBA.

Nor, really, is their defense based around getting tons and tons of steals and blocks - they rank bottom 5 in both categories. Instead, they just don't foul (bottom 10 in the league in foul rate) and they give up the 2nd fewest three point attempts in the league.

If we want a win tonight, it's all going to be based around our shooters hitting, us avoiding fouling on defense, and exploiting their relatively mediocre paint defense (19th in the league in 2pt shots allowed).

Which isn't actually asking for too much, really, it's just asking for guys to play with their brains switched on and hit their shots, but for the Pelicans that appears to be a constant struggle. Let's see how it goes.
    Basketball.

Awwwe, its like Free Willy but in basketball....

You know CP3 will turn it on coz its his old team.

Lots I could say but in reality I just hope we stay in touch and get more practice closing out tight games and fingers crossed get the last run and Ingram makes up for the Portland panic.

20 mins of Jax coming up

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    Awwwe, its like Free Willy but in basketball....

You know CP3 will turn it on coz its his old team.

Lots I could say but in reality I just hope we stay in touch and get more practice closing out tight games and fingers crossed get the last run and Ingram makes up for the Portland panic.
    Over the month of February, you'd be hard pressed to find a wing playing better than Ingram. Kawhi might be the only one.

And that Portland loss was from usual bad defense and bad coaching on the last possession.

This game tonight might be a crossing point. Either they get tired of losing and blow PHX out again, or that last loss too demoralizing, and they get blown out by PHX again.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Over the month of February, you'd be hard pressed to find a wing playing better than Ingram. Kawhi might be the only one.

And that Portland loss was from usual bad defense and bad coaching on the last possession.

This game tonight might be a crossing point. Either they get tired of losing and blow PHX out again, or that last loss too demoralizing, and they get blown out by PHX again.
    Cant I acquaint you with a team called the Boston Celtics

Who blows bigger lead Monty or Pelicans ?

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Cant I acquaint you with a team called the Boston Celtics
    WTH does Boston have anything to do with what I said?

Over the last 15 games, Pels are the #2 offense in the NBA and the 28th defense. Explains a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Over the last 15 games, Pels are the #2 offense in the NBA and the 28th defense. Explains a lot.
    Nets defense is just as bad however the offense might be enough to win them a championship if healthy. Jazz look brutal this year but will they fizzle out again in playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Nets defense is just as bad however the offense might be enough to win them a championship if healthy
    I doubt it, honestly. I wouldn't be too surprised if they made the finals, though I don't think that's guaranteed, but I'd be pretty shocked if they knocked off either the Lakers or the Clippers, who are the Western favourites imo. Lakers offense looks bad in that chart but AD has missed a ton of time recently for his ankle, and if he's healthy for the playoffs that offense will improve and they're just o much better than the Nets defensively.

Clippers, meanwhile, are world's better than Nets on D (not quite as good as LA) but already have an offense that's in full fire and isn't that much worse than Brooklyn's.

Hard to see Brooklyn winning a chip unless their defense improves dramatically or everyone else gets injured, imo.

WTH does Boston have anything to do with what I said?
    Because Jaylen Brown is playing out of his ********ing mind

Tatum isn't far behind either

In fairness, he said in February specifically, and neither Brown nor Tatum have been particularly special this month.

I agree in terms of the season overall, but if you're just taking February then it's Ingram, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

OPINION: You could remove the Pelican Logo and replace it Zion Williamson's name and the graph would probably no less true.

You didn't pay attention to what I wrote. Compared to BI...no and no.

You didn't pay attention to what I wrote. Compared to BI...no and no.
    You wanted wings around or better than the level of Ingram. The media voted Brown as an All-Star starter over Irving

Not sure why you would want to limit your criteria to 2 and a half weeks

You wanted wings around or better than the level of Ingram. The media voted Brown as an All-Star starter over Irving

Not sure why you would want to limit your criteria to 2 and a half weeks
    Because someone said BI has been playing poorly lately.

Media vote? Jesus Christ dude. Run along now.

Because someone said BI has been playing poorly lately.

Media vote? Jesus Christ dude. Run along now.
    He specifically referred to the Portland game. Then you chose to truncate your time saver critique of BI in the clutch this season to an arbitrary length of the month of Feburary, because reasons. Coolio.

Media can have their agendas more than we're comfortable with, but what possible agenda could they have with repping Jaylen Brown?
    Last edited by AusPel; 02-19-2021 at 12:24 PM.

Asked about Zion's responsibility as a ballhandler and the potential of ramping that up more and more, here's the answer:

''Definitely long term, no question, long term. I've talked to him about it. It's going to take even increased conditioning from where he is now, and he's not in bad shape now in any sense but it's different from being in point guard shape to bring it up all the time, it's a different level. Long term for sure I'd like to do more of it, but it's going to take more... we're going to have to figure things out better and he has to develop the stamina to do it, doing it on dead balls and free throws but to do what a Lonzo does to take every outlet and every inbounds and take it up, that's something that he hasn't done. At least not on this level. It'll take some time but the long term vision on my part is more and more and more of that.''

Zion begins doing Zion things

Very slow start for Ingram.

Bled doesn't care again

Our point of attack defense is just, godawful

Lmao at Mikal Bridges airball

Zion's passing has become so multi-faceted so quickly

Hernangomez bailing us out from that TO

Thread Information