Pelicans Report

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11

Thread: February 19th - New Orleans Pelicans VS Phoenix Suns - 12-16

We don't necessarily need to sign a 'timeline matching' player or even a player with more talent then we already have. We need a to bring in a 'kick ******' player who will hold our babies to account and teach them what it is to be a professional.

You know, the worst thing you can tell a MAN is that he is soft. Well, truth be known, we are so soft, we are likely to put Charmin out of business.

Bledsoe is havin a laff all the way to the bank. Just a horrible presence for our young guys

We let every star guard take us to the bank and steal our social security numbers, accounts, etc. That has nothing to do with our starting guards hmmm?

And JJ shouldn?t be playing unless there is a trade looming or we are winning. We better have one of the above soon

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I feel like you're putting an inordinate amount of weight on what an almost washed 37 year old JJ is doing

All it does it give more credence to the fact he should have been moved for a 1st when Griffindecisive had the chance

But Dave gonna Dave
    It’s only because he can single handedly destroy games with his court presence. He’s unplayable is my point.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    And JJ shouldn?t be playing unless there is a trade looming or we are winning. We better have one of the above soon
    We can only hope. Watching his old carcass look hapless every game while repeatedly getting dominated on both ends is a sad thing to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    We can only hope. Watching his old carcass look hapless every game while repeatedly getting dominated on both ends is a sad thing to see.
    It's not so much that he can't help us offensively; he makes us worse defensively (as if that's even possible).

One positive last night

CP3 one of my ten favourite players of all time. Pure greatness. I will never not root for him.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    One positive last night

This man should be in the Big Easy right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    CP3 one of my ten favourite players of all time. Pure greatness. I will never not root for him.
    How can you not love mini-Oscar Robertson? Feels impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    How can you not love mini-Oscar Robertson? Feels impossible.
    He's one of the greatest competitors in NBA history, and rarely for players of his attitude, his play actually backs it up.

CP3 is:

- 7th all time in assists (only 300 away from hitting the top 5, so he'll get there)
    - 52nd in turnovers. The only member of the top 10 in assists who isn't a top 30 turnover guy.
    - 7th all time in Value Over Replacement Player (behind LBJ, Jordan, Stockton, Malone, Garnett, and Tim Duncan, just ahead of Kareem)
    - 9th all time in PER (behind MJ, LBJ, Anthony Davis, Shaq, The Admiral, Wilt, Pettit, and Durant)
    - 2nd all time in Offensive Rating
    - 11th all time in Win Shares
    - 4th all time in Box Plus Minus (behind MJ, LBJ, and Magic)
    - 5th all time in Real Adjusted Plus Minus (RAPM)

Just greatness.

Is there really any hard metric that shows that veterans change the team "culture?" Memphis is doing without them and they seem pretty hard-nosed and competitive (more than we do, for sure). Boston built with young duo of Tatum and Brown.

If you're talking investing in veteran role players to fill out the roster, I think that's smart. But I don't think you have to pay veterans $12 million, $15 million, $20 million just to keep them around to set an example. That seems dumb. And counter-productive.

One thing for sure is that having veterans around the Pels that last two years hasn't produced a winning culture and guys like Favors, Holiday, Redick, Adams, Bledsoe, etc...don't seem to have imparted much basketball IQ, clutch grit or closing acumen to the Pelicans.

I don't think OKC was an anomaly. Durant for the longest time had a reputation for not being able to close big games in the 4th. Even as OKC became a perennial championship contender and wound up in only 1 NBA Final.

Who can forget that infamous game 6 against the Warriors, winning the series 3-2, and went into the 4th quarter up 83-75.

Yeah they lost, Durant went 10-31 and 1-8 from three. And he went 1 - 7 in that 4th with 2 turnovers. Then he joined GS the next year.

Closing games is a progressive art young players have to learn.

Here is a quote from that game 6 recap. Sound familiar?

The Thunder, who blew a number of fourth-quarter leads during the regular season, fell apart in the final minutes after Golden State had finally gone ahead for good. The Thunder committed six turnovers in the final 2:55, and Westbrook had three in the last 55 seconds.

"That really wasn't -- hasn't been us in the last month and a half," Thunder coach Billy Donovan said. "I thought we got a little stagnant coming down the stretch."

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    He's one of the greatest competitors in NBA history, and rarely for players of his attitude, his play actually backs it up.

CP3 is:

- 7th all time in assists (only 300 away from hitting the top 5, so he'll get there)
    - 52nd in turnovers. The only member of the top 10 in assists who isn't a top 30 turnover guy.
    - 7th all time in Value Over Replacement Player (behind LBJ, Jordan, Stockton, Malone, Garnett, and Tim Duncan, just ahead of Kareem)
    - 9th all time in PER (behind MJ, LBJ, Anthony Davis, Shaq, The Admiral, Wilt, Pettit, and Durant)
    - 2nd all time in Offensive Rating
    - 11th all time in Win Shares
    - 4th all time in Box Plus Minus (behind MJ, LBJ, and Magic)
    - 5th all time in Real Adjusted Plus Minus (RAPM)

Just greatness.
    I truly think if not for untimely injuries/postseason exits we're talking about a top ten player of all time. Even still, he's firmly in the 20-25 range and despite injuries his surprising longevity to this point (what other player at this age is still playing at a star level? LeBron?) could have him creep closer to that range when it's all said and done. In terms of peak IMO the only PG's I can think of that are better is Magic and Oscar, I can see arguments for Curry/Nash but I think Nash's defensive shortcomings are too much to overcome against a legitimate two way player (crazy to say about a point guard, right?) and with Curry I think most people think he has the higher peak, and you can certainly argue that in the regular season, but I would argue Paul has been MORE resilient in the post season as an offensive engine (who historically has ramped up his scoring in the postseason too). I don't want to overdo it with the lovefest, but he legit has an argument for most complete player ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    I truly think if not for untimely injuries/postseason exits we're talking about a top ten player of all time. Even still, he's firmly in the 20-25 range and despite injuries his surprising longevity to this point (what other player at this age is still playing at a star level? LeBron?) could have him creep closer to that range when it's all said and done. In terms of peak IMO the only PG's I can think of that are better is Magic and Oscar, I can see arguments for Curry/Nash but I think Nash's defensive shortcomings are too much to overcome against a legitimate two way player (crazy to say about a point guard, right?) and with Curry I think most people think he has the higher peak, and you can certainly argue that in the regular season, but I would argue Paul has been MORE resilient in the post season as an offensive engine (who historically has ramped up his scoring in the postseason too). I don't want to overdo it with the lovefest, but he legit has an argument for most complete player ever.
    I have him comfortably top 20. Could hear an argument for top 15.

Thread Information