Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: February 17th - New Orleans Pelicans VS Portland Trailblazers - 12-15

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Oh, so you were saying we shouldn't max Ingram?
    I remember when I expressed scepticism about maxing Ingram last year and got told I was an idiot lmao

I also remember being told that I was stupid when I said that despite his improvements he's not a top 30 player and is more like a 2nd or 3rd option on a top tier team.
    Basketball.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    *Pelicans, a team one year into a rebuild, lose a game by a single possession against a perennial playoff team that's currently 17-10*

Everyone: ZION IS GOING TO LEAVE AND WE'RE A FARM TEAM AND WE SUCK AND THE WORLD HAS ENDED DINASDOGAIUSDNK OASIDPUBONAJDSONPAOSDOFASIDGNA

Calm down, people.
    Hey, I never typed random letters like that at the end of my post. Get it right next time.

Multiple people immediately started the ''Zion's going to ask for a trade'' and the ''Gonna have to trade Zion cause he'll want out'' talk. Please don't try and conflate what they're doing with the reasonable discussion about Ingram.
    Exactly 2 people said something along those lines. Think that would represent the minority, as I said.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I remember when I expressed scepticism about maxing Ingram last year and got told I was an idiot lmao

I also remember being told that I was stupid when I said that despite his improvements he's not a top 30 player and is more like a 2nd or 3rd option on a top tier team.
    But was your skepticism the same as "Don't give it to him"?

And you'd still be wrong. Extremely wrong. But you'll never give up being wrong about him. So tonight is your chance to feast along with all the other chicken littles.

That final possession was bombed the minute Lonzo took a 30 footer. Which there was no need to do. He had ample time to move the ball to Zion. But he's not a point guard.

By the time Ingram got it back there is no time to go hand the ball to Zion. There's is no magic for that.

Zion is our best player and yet Ingram is taking the final shot?

We need to figure that out.
    SVG wanted to show his max player he still trusted him to take the last shot. I predicted this ending and I'm glad I'm right because I hate to say this but I want a high pick damn it so I'm happy tonight, but my god Zion is growing quicker than grits on a hot day.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

But was your skepticism the same as "Don't give it to him"?
    I basically said that it depended on what the max was, cause obviously there were multiple maxes depending on whether he ended up getting All-NBA or whether it was 5% or 8% increases and such. If it was the smallest max available, I was okay with it because it would be potentially moveable if needs be and we couldn't afford to just let him go cause we aren't the kind of team that just acquires talent. If it was a larger max, I was against giving it to him.

Either our coaching staff is as dumb as bricks for not doubling Lillard on their final possession to get the ball out of his hands, or the players just flat out ignored the plan. After watching the replay, I think the coaches have to own this one. Lonzo guarding Dame one-on-one with the game on the line —- brilliant strategy!

Quote Originally Posted by Spec3333 View Post
    Either our coaching staff is as dumb as bricks for not doubling Lillard on their final possession to get the ball out of his hands, or the players just flat out ignored the plan. After watching the replay, I think the coaches have to own this one. Lonzo guarding Dame one-on-one with the game on the line —- brilliant strategy!
    Made no sense to me. You could have also tried to inbound to Zion, which didn't seem to be option.

Just an atrocious end to the game by the sidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    And you'd still be wrong. Extremely wrong. But you'll never give up being wrong about him. So tonight is your chance to feast along with all the other chicken littles.

That final possession was bombed the minute Lonzo took a 30 footer. Which there was no need to do. He had ample time to move the ball to Zion. But he's not a point guard.

By the time Ingram got it back there is no time to go hand the ball to Zion. There's is no magic for that.
    Yes, you're right. The discontent people have towards Ingram is entirely focused on that one possession tonight, rather than the culmination of multiple games of watching him do basically this same thing with Zion on the court.

Now, as I've already said in this very thread, it might not actually be that Ingram has an issue here and maybe it's just a very long, very specific sequence of coincidences, but the reality is that it looks like he's stubbornly going ISO-mode in every close game and refusing to engage Zion and serve as a second option, which for a guy of his level (read: not a mega star) is unacceptable. He's a second or third option on a high level team, not a first, and if he can't defer then that's a serious issue.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    A dozen different things lost the game. Players gotta make better decisions. So we'll see what we see...

But yeah. I'm not exactly upset at another loss in the column.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Dae, can you tell me how many isos this season that BI has scored on? It has to be an extremely low percentage.

Yall remember when Month refused to let AD take the final shot because "he wasn't ready?" Lol good times.

So we are 9th right now.
    http://www.tankathon.com/

Yes, you're right. The discontent people have towards Ingram is entirely focused on that one possession tonight, rather than the culmination of multiple games of watching him do basically this same thing with Zion on the court.

Now, as I've already said in this very thread, it might not actually be that Ingram has an issue here and maybe it's just a very long, very specific sequence of coincidences, but the reality is that it looks like he's stubbornly going ISO-mode in every close game and refusing to engage Zion and serve as a second option, which for a guy of his level (read: not a mega star) is unacceptable. He's a second or third option on a high level team, not a first, and if he can't defer then that's a serious issue.
    Odd. He did just fine as a 1st option to close games last year. Even won a few games with a last second shot.

Maybe...I dunno...maybe he and this coaching staff are still adjusting to teams playing him differently now. Because I guarantee you, after watching film last year, coaches are PUTTING the ball in his hands on final possessions.

But that has nothing to do with tonight. As I said, by the time Ingram got it, there was no choice but to go iso. He was the 3rd person to touch the ball after a shot was already taken.

But you can join the chicken little choir if you want. When it comes to BI you have no problem walking in step with them.

Some dumb fans in the arena. Who the hell is shouting "MVP" with big free throws on the line? Thats the time everybody shuts up you dolts.
    One of the dumbest fan bases ever man. They were doing some weird chant earlier the game will Zion was hitting free throws which possibly messed up his rhythm and he missed. Drunken fools.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Dae, can you tell me how many isos this season that BI has scored on? It has to be an extremely low percentage.
    ISO has made up 12.7% of Ingram's shot attempts this season so far, and he has scored 0.95 points per possession on such attempts, which is not great but not dreadful either: he's in the 57th percentile.

By comparison, ISOs make up 10.1% of Zion's shot attempts. He scores 1.24 points per possession on these attempts, good for the 90th percentile.

RESPECT DA KID!!! Contributor BigChris504's Avatar

Yeah I wouldn't go that far bro. Honestly it's common sense the best player on the court tonight for us was Zion, how he doesn't even touch the ball on the last possession is beyond my rational of thinking. However i wouldn't completely trash B.I. he's definitely worth that contract this just wasn't his game.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    So we are 9th right now.
    Hell yes! Suns about to get sweet revenge! Bigger picture folks. Kira is getting development minutes and Zion is looking like the clear cut leader and we add another infinity stone possibly. We will be fine

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    So we are 9th right now.
    Be easy to trade up in a stack draft too.

The difference was Damian Lillard being able to waltz Lonzo to the rim 1 on 1 for their last shot.

This team cant get the ball to either of their main guys without running through serious traffic, and after Lonzo has to chuck one.

That is on the coaches. They can't have it so easy while you are on the struggle bus.

Odd. He did just fine as a 1st option to close games last year. Even won a few games with a last second shot.

Maybe...I dunno...maybe he and this coaching staff are still adjusting to teams playing him differently now. Because I guarantee you, after watching film last year, coaches are PUTTING the ball in his hands on final possessions.

But that has nothing to do with tonight. As I said, by the time Ingram got it, there was no choice but to go iso. He was the 3rd person to touch the ball after a shot was already taken.

But you can join the chicken little choir if you want. When it comes to BI you have no problem walking in step with them.
    Maybe you're the one who needs a bit of a refresher: Ingram shot 33.3% from the floor in the clutch last season (22/66) including 6/24 from 3 (25%) and had a -118 +/-. TS% of 39.2%. His AST% in the clutch was 4.5% and his AST/TO was 0.17. He was not ''just fine'' as a first option, he was actually pretty bad. Just cause you remember a few of the shots that went in doesn't mean all the shots that didn't ceased existing.

But you know, you do you.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Be easy to trade up in a stack draft too.
    Top 10

RK PLAYER SCHOOL YEAR POS POS RK HT WT
    1 Cade Cunningham Oklahoma St. Fr G 1 6-8 220
    2 Jalen Suggs Gonzaga Fr G 2 6-4 205
    3 Jalen Green USA - SG 1 6-5 172
    4 Evan Mobley USC Fr F 1 7-0 215
    5 Jonathan Kuminga Congo - SF 1 6-8 205
    6 Greg Brown Texas Fr F 2 6-9 205
    7 Jalen Johnson Duke Fr F 3 6-9 220
    8 Moses Moody Arkansas Fr G 3 6-6 205
    9 James Bouknight Connecticut Soph G 4 6-5 190
    10 David Johnson Louisville Soph G 5 6-5 210

Quote Originally Posted by BigChris504 View Post
    Yeah I wouldn't go that far bro. Honestly it's common sense the best player on the court tonight for us was Zion, how he doesn't even touch the ball on the last possession is beyond my rational of thinking. However i wouldn't completely trash B.I. he's definitely worth that contract this just wasn't his game.
    Don't bother. This place needs to be rename Hot Take Central.

Questioning BI's contract is beyond stupid at this point. But here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by BigChris504 View Post
    If it was a one time thing, you'd have a point. This is a trend. Ingram needs someone to talk to him cause he's been doing stuff like this all year and it's irritating. He needs to accept he's not The Guy, cause right now his failure to realise his role is costing us games.

Thread Information