Pelicans Report

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13

Thread: February 17th - New Orleans Pelicans VS Portland Trailblazers - 12-15

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    I'd prefer Ingram if he could deliver a quality screen. We don't know that he can't. Ingram is also more of a threat than JJ on screen action. I do agree that JJ with Zion works.. but I'm of the mind that Zion and Ingram works better theoretically.
    It might work theoretically but when you've been actually running the JJ/Zion action in reality for multiple games and have had nobody figure out how to stop it yet, I'm in favour of doing that rather than trying to improvise a new strategy.

I've always been a fan of finding something that the opponent simply can't stop and then just doing it over and over until they're forced to figure something out.
    Basketball.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    It might work theoretically but when you've been actually running the JJ/Zion action in reality for multiple games and have had nobody figure out how to stop it yet, I'm in favour of doing that rather than trying to improvise a new strategy.

I've always been a fan of finding something that the opponent simply can't stop and then just doing it over and over until they're forced to figure something out.
    Yep.. I agree. Under the circumstances last night, in a crucial moment. If you were going to run that play, you probably wouldn't want to experiment.

In the long run though.. I believe Zion/Ingram works better than Zion/JJ..

Yep.. I agree. Under the circumstances last night, in a crucial moment. If you were going to run that play, you probably wouldn't want to experiment.

In the long run though.. I believe Zion/Ingram works better than Zion/JJ..
    Well sure, in the long run I don't think JJ is on the team in 6 months

The Franchise
    Well sure, in the long run I don't think JJ is on the team in 6 months
    Wow lol.. Well I doubt he'd be missed. Which is unfortunate. He could have made life a lot easier for Zion and Ingram if he were actually playing like a starting 2.

Wow lol.. Well I doubt he'd be missed. Which is unfortunate. He could have made life a lot easier for Zion and Ingram if he were actually playing like a starting 2.
    I'm not sure if he gets traded or not at the deadline, I suppose it depends on what the market is, but he's a free agent after this season and I don't really think we should re-up on him. Not really contentious to say he's taken some clear steps down over the last 18 months or so, and at his age it's not like he fits the 'timeline', insofar as such a thing exists. Probably a mutual parting unless he wants to resign on the min or something.

What would be his minimum?

I'm not sure if he gets traded or not at the deadline, I suppose it depends on what the market is, but he's a free agent after this season and I don't really think we should re-up on him. Not really contentious to say he's taken some clear steps down over the last 18 months or so, and at his age it's not like he fits the 'timeline', insofar as such a thing exists. Probably a mutual parting unless he wants to resign on the min or something.
    After all his years in the NBA, am I right that the minimum to resign Redick be would be $2,564,753? Compared to my measly salary that's much better, but given the realities of the NBA isn't that about what he is worth?

Quote Originally Posted by johnpagenola View Post
    After all his years in the NBA, am I right that the minimum to resign Redick be would be $2,564,753? Compared to my measly salary that's much better, but given the realities of the NBA isn't that about what he is worth?
    Yeah I believe that's the 10+ year veteran's minimum this season, it'll probably be slightly higher next year but not massively so.

The odds are that some team will pay him more than that, especially if his shooting keeps returning. He's been hot lately and if it picks up for the next few months and he doesn't get traded before the deadline then there'll be some market for him in FA, I bet.

I'd prefer Ingram if he could deliver a quality screen. We don't know that he can't. Ingram is also more of a threat than JJ on screen action. I do agree that JJ with Zion works.. but I'm of the mind that Zion and Ingram works better theoretically.
    The guys on nba tv pointed this out, but if you run a PnR with Ingram/Zion, then you are also involving the other team's 2 best defenders. Which is exactly how Portland was able to switch last night and bomb that whole attempt. So Ingram being able to set a proper screen doesnt even enter the equation.

On the opposite side, you've seen Indiana just clear out a side and let Brogdon work 1 on 1. Then you saw Portland do the same with Lillard.

Why this team has to try and run some complicated 2 man action against the other team's best defenders points to bad coaching decisions.

Simplify it and just give the ball to Zion or Ingram and tell everyone else to get out of the way. Then have either of them work straight towards the basket and work off that.

Now its likely most teams defend that much better than this team does, but it also minimizes the decision making.
    Last edited by luckyman; 02-18-2021 at 10:19 PM.

Thread Information