Pelicans Report

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: February 17th - New Orleans Pelicans VS Portland Trailblazers - 12-15

Basketball Guru
    thinking about the miss dunks and lay ins we missed....the miss ft's....

we make those then maybe we would have sealed the game up....

We need a legitimate 3rd scoring threat (preferably one that can space the floor and create his own shot) and/or someone that can actually run the game in the half court before we can even think about winning games. You can shut down a two man offensive duo. The amount of times I catch AD screeching ‘FORCE IT TO ZION’ as he’s swarmed by five defenders in the paint or ‘PUT IT IN THIS MANS HANDS’ as they leave our weakest link on the floor to be useless while they swarm Ingram and force him to throw up a miracle shot. They aren’t afraid of any of our players apart from Zion/Ingram which says it all.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    If the only trade idea you can broach is an obvious trade that will never happen, then I don't know how much more ridiculous and stupid the idea is to begin with. Neverminded the fact that you don't trade players like BI. Players of his caliber and age are exactly what teams like the Pelicans go searching high and low for. It's ridiculous. It's stupid. It's headache inducing.

Hey maybe we can trade BI for Lebron. He's getting old and I heard he likes gumbo. Hey AD's fiancee is from new orleans. Let's trade BI for AD and make the dual reunion happen.
    Don’t tease me with a good time. If La offered AD for BI, I wouldn’t hesistate a millisecond to accept it. Can you imagine a Zion, AD, & Adams front court?! Man ��

Did you know....

That over the last ten games, since Billy H'Gomez has been inserted into the rotation, Zion Williamson is averaging 27.0, is shooting 67%, and his turnovers have gone down?

Coincidence?
    Last edited by As I See It; 02-18-2021 at 12:59 PM.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Did you know....

That over the last ten games, since Billy H'Gomez has been inserted into the rotation, Zion Williamson is averaging 27.0 and his shooting is up to 67%?

Coincidence?
    he make zion life easy in the second unit.....

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    he make zion life easy in the second unit.....
    He sure does...at least easier.

Now just imagine if they were ever on the court at the same time, huh?
    Last edited by As I See It; 02-18-2021 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    We need a legitimate 3rd scoring threat (preferably one that can space the floor and create his own shot) and/or someone that can actually run the game in the half court before we can even think about winning games. You can shut down a two man offensive duo. The amount of times I catch AD screeching ‘FORCE IT TO ZION’ as he’s swarmed by five defenders in the paint or ‘PUT IT IN THIS MANS HANDS’ as they leave our weakest link on the floor to be useless while they swarm Ingram and force him to throw up a miracle shot. They aren’t afraid of any of our players apart from Zion/Ingram which says it all.
    This is partially why JJ's value is so high to us when he's playing well, and also why he absolutely craters lineups when he isn't.

Having a guy who is a legitimate threat to make any shot from 3, and who will not hesitate to take them off the catch, off movement, coming off screens, falling sideways, etc, demands defensive attention in a way that our other shooters just do not regardless of what raw percentage says (there's a reason stats guys are trying to work up a way to measure gravity offensively) and that attention makes it so much harder to quadruple team Zion or swarm Ingram or any other ball-handler.

That's partially why the JJ/Zion 2 man game is so effective: you have to make a choice, and it's a legitimate pick-your-poison moment because either you have to sell out on the weakside with massive help, knowing Zion can and will make that pass over to the corner, or you try single coverage with just standard help which we know Zion can obliterate without much issue. If you choose to commit both men to Zion then of course JJ is open and recently his shot has started coming back to him so nobody is really willing to do that.

Obviously a third offensive threat who can actually create would be even better and that's what we hope Kira is (and I think he will be) but for now that's part of why JJ's value is so high offensively.
    Basketball.

Jax not getting that alley oop dunk bothers me so much. Just come down with the ball and dunk it. We let so many inside shots go awry when all we needed do was secure position and go back up strong. We win this game with the Big Kiwi in there, sadly. Still cannot fathom how Zion doesn't get the ball at the end. Ingram puzzles me. He should be dominating when he has run of the second unit built exclusively around him but he seems to disengage so often which is concerning. He's a gym rat which is great but I need to see more fire and dog in him.

Same with Lonzo.. imagine having a Jimmy Butler or Patrick Beverly type mindset with the skill of Ball or BI.. Josh Hart is consistently aggressive but he feels like the knit one with maybe Kira joining him. Bledsoe is a waste right now. We've let at least 3 or 4 games go we should have won now and that's the difference in everything in the West.
    "..but there's Baron dribbling the ball for 20 seconds, hoisting bad 3s and single-handedly killing them in close games. It's like somebody shrunk Antoine Walker and gave him his own team."
    - Bill Simmons (2006)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Basketball Guru
    is there a younger version of JJ in the NBA now that we can trade for?...someone who can create their own shot.......

i cant think of anyone...

is there a younger version of JJ in the NBA now that we can trade for?...someone who can create their own shot.......

A younger version of JJ couldn't create their own shot because JJ still can't create his own shot.

Unless you mean by moving off-ball and stuff, in which case it's Duncan Robinson.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    A younger version of JJ couldn't create their own shot because JJ still can't create his own shot.

Unless you mean by moving off-ball and stuff, in which case it's Duncan Robinson.

yeah, thats what i meant..moving off ball and stuff to get open shots......

thanks..

yeah, thats what i meant..moving off ball and stuff to get open shots......

thanks..
    Then Duncan Robinson is your man, or to a lesser extent (still great movement shooting and efficiency but not as high volume) Desmond Bane.

It was great to see Billy H'Gomez sink the three last night. Imagine if we really did have a big 5 who could consistently nail the corner three. Perhaps...maybe...conceivably...perchance, there would be one less man for Zion to have to deal with on the inside or else opponents would suffer the wrath of the three ball.

Why hasn't anybody EVER mentioned this before?

The ending sucked. Not great. There are plenty of issues to discuss. What really bothers me is allowing and missing gimme scores though. Particularly missed buckets right at the rim with little to no contest. Along with some defensive brainfarts. Those types of issues glare the brightest to me in games like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stalwart385 View Post
    The ending sucked. Not great. There are plenty of issues to discuss. What really bothers me is allowing and missing gimme scores though. Particularly missed buckets right at the rim with little to no contest. Along with some defensive brainfarts. Those types of issues glare the brightest to me in games like this.
    We always have those random missed buckets that really should have gone in. There's a few of them every game for every team but it really does seem like if the league average is 5 a game, we average 8.

Whether it's the random three that goes in and just jumps out, Hart doing something dumb in transition, a dunk that should have gone, whatever; there's almost always just a few more than is reasonable.

Future Pel Corey Kispert enters the chat.

But seriously, if I was Griff, I would do just about anything to pair Kispert with the Kira, BI, Zion core.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Future Pel Corey Kispert enters the chat.

But seriously, if I was Griff, I would do just about anything to pair Kispert with the Kira, BI, Zion core.
    I also think Kispert is going to be a very very solid NBA player. Really good college shooter on very high sample size (41.1% over 4 years in college, over 500 attempts) to go with a career 81.9% FT (on over 215 attempts) and a consistently solid 2pt threat as well (career 58.1% from 2 on 418 attempts).

Shoots off the move, off the catch, and off the dribble a little too; not a crazy speedy Redick type who can just run run run all game off screens endlessly but isn't a standstill only guy either, and he's a legit 6'7 which helps a lot.

Solid team defender, though nothing spectacular, and a decent passer (though not a playmaker) who doesn't turn it over often.

Just clearly an NBA guy who a lot of teams would do well to add to the roster. If he was 19 instead of 21 (will be 22 in his rookie season) he'd be a consensus top 10 pick on these numbers.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    Why didn't SVG just have Zion handle the ball with BI pick-n-roll? This is just as much on coaching. The whole game Zion handled the ball but in the last seconds not? Doesn't make any sense.
    I actually thought about that.. I can see it working if Ingram was able to actually effect the individual he's screening for Zion. Given his slight frame, I'm not sure he would. But maybe. If he could however, it would work better because Ingram is a threat for a midrange shot, where as Zion wouldn't be with the roles reversed. Zion is also more likely to convert on a drive to the basket than Ingram. So I would agree that Zion being the ballhandler would have made more sense. But that's assuming Ingram could be effective screening the big that is likely to be trailing Zion.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Zion needs to demand the ball be in his hands all the time. We need to get better on defense. Don?t allow uncontested 3 point shots!!!! Contest every single 3 point attempt. Be much more physical! I?m tired of our team being soft. It?s time to be rough and start fouling hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Zion needs to demand the ball be in his hands all the time. We need to get better on defense. Don?t allow uncontested 3 point shots!!!! Contest every single 3 point attempt. Be much more physical! I?m tired of our team being soft. It?s time to be rough and start fouling hard.
    I'm becoming more and more convinced that SVG is right to an extent, and that the 3s are a result of really bad defense at the point of attack. We get beat so easily on ball that guys are just wide open after one or two swings. I truly think that if you inserted Jrue into this system for Bledsoe, this could be a top 10 defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    I actually thought about that.. .I can see it working if Ingram was able to actually effect the individual he's screening for Zion. Given his slight frame, I'm not sure he would. But maybe If he could however, it would work better because Ingram is a threat for a midrange shot, where as Zion wouldn't be with the roles reversed. Zion is also more likely to convert on a drive to the basket than Ingram. So I would agree that Zion being the ballhandler would have made more sense. But that's assuming Ingram could be effective screening the big that is likely to be trailing Zion.
    Which is exactly why you run it as a Zion action with JJ as the screener, a play we've been running for multiple games now to devastating effect. JJ is a really effective guard screener and is precisely the kind of threat you want popping off with Zion driving.

thinking about the miss dunks and lay ins we missed....the miss ft's....

we make those then maybe we would have sealed the game up....
    Yeah, at the time when Hernangomez and then Hayes missed easy dunks, I thought "I hope this is not a close ending." Oh well...

Basketball Guru
    Which is exactly why you run it as a Zion action with JJ as the screener, a play we've been running for multiple games now to devastating effect. JJ is a really effective guard screener and is precisely the kind of threat you want popping off with Zion driving.

thats with the second unit lineup of lewis,, zion,,willy,,hart and JJ.....i guess no egos in the lineup....everyone knows their role...get the ball to zion....

you are the stat guy...is there a stat that show which group or lineup in which zion score his most points?....

i just love watching the second unit with zion in that group...they're fun to watch and play solid and smart ball..get the ball to zion...

The Franchise
    I'd prefer Ingram if he could deliver a quality screen. We don't know that he can't. Ingram is also more of a threat than JJ on screen action. I do agree that JJ with Zion works.. but I'm of the mind that Zion and Ingram works better theoretically.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Yeah, at the time when Hernangomez and then Hayes missed easy dunks, I thought "I hope this is not a close ending." Oh well...
    hernangomez be getting hacked under the basket and dont get the calls lol.....dude has to get stronger also...

Thread Information