Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: February 16th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Memphis Grizzlies - 11-15

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    The Griffin and Adams saga is actually disturbingly close to the Demps and Asik fiasco - bidding against no one but themselves and massively overpaying relative to the other players in the market and the utility to the team's ultimate goal

Just highlights how much that Griffin is Demps 2.0

Or is it the other way around
    I assumed that what we’d lose offensively re: spacing, outside shooting, etc with Adams we’d make up for in defense. And perhaps it would even be worse without him...

But, it seems that with the way teams have been playing us, Adams is starting to look like a big plodding dinosaur who can’t defend the three, and thus gets involved in so much action outside, that he’s unavailable to defend the rim, which is where we desperately need him. Didn’t Stan have a center like that in Detroit who despite his inside presence was rapidly shown to be an ill fit in today’s NBA?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Adams is really good though, how many of the other options are? Like yeah, we could have had Alex Len for cheaper probably but Alex Len sucks.

Someone is going to go ''but Dedmon!'' to which I say: Dedmon has been a free agent since getting shipped around for nothing all through last season, for a reason. Nobody wants him anymore and it's cause he's not been very good.

One thing you can give Adams at the very least is that he's good at basketball. I know that people on this board seem to have an allergy to acquiring people who are actually good at basketball, but it is quite an important thing.
    Lol seriously. I mean they do have a responsibility to get people to want to watch games. Nobody wants to watch Dedmon or Alex Len. I know Center is not a sexy position these days but he does play it well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adams is really good though, how many of the other options are? Like yeah, we could have had Alex Len for cheaper probably but Alex Len sucks.

Someone is going to go ''but Dedmon!'' to which I say: Dedmon has been a free agent since getting shipped around for nothing all through last season, for a reason. Nobody wants him anymore and it's cause he's not been very good.

One thing you can give Adams at the very least is that he's good at basketball. I know that people on this board seem to have an allergy to acquiring people who are actually good at basketball, but it is quite an important thing.
    Sure, Adams is a good player. However, he is not worth anywhere close to what we gave up in assets and salary. He is an old school limited center with a lot of miles on his body. When his trade kicker is added in (which brings his 2020-21 salary to $29,542,695) he is highest paid center in the NBA this season-

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/rankings...ap-hit/center/

Next season he will drop to 8th highest behind 6 who play a more current style of center and Capela, who is a better rebounder and rim protector. He is probably worth closer to a Jurkic type of player, who gets about $10-$12 million a year.

And Adams being "really good" gets you 13th or 14th in the West. Hooray!!

You get Dedmon, maybe you are a game or two worse, but who cares? I can even argue that is a good thing long term.

I dont get this Adams argument, unless you think he is a long term piece that will help a lot in future years. And his body is clearly breaking down, so I dont
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    And Adams being "really good" gets you 13th or 14th in the West. Hooray!!

You get Dedmon, maybe you are a game or two worse, but who cares? I can even argue that is a good thing long term.

I dont get this Adams argument, unless you think he is a long term piece that will help a lot in future years. And his body is clearly breaking down, so I dont
    Luckily, I have absolutely no interest in what you think whatsoever. Maybe if I ever need lessons on misogyny I'll hit you up.
    Basketball.

Luckily, I have absolutely no interest in what you think whatsoever. Maybe if I ever need lessons on misogyny I'll hit you up.
    Always available!!

Always available!!
    MM. dae's drivel means he has no response.

Stan Van talking to the media before the game:

''A lot of our offensive improvement over the past month has been that we haven't turned the ball over as much and we need to continue with that. It's also the most important defensive key, in that if you don't turn the ball over you at least get a chance to set your defense.''

Thoughts on Valanciunas

''He's always been a great rebounder and offensively he's very talented. Can score on the perimeter, can score around the basket. He's one of the best centres in the league, really, very underrated guy.''

Rotation changes? Starting lineup changes?

''No changes to the starting lineup. I don't know how much it will change. We just... we don't really have too many guys that we have great confidence in that can turn things around defensively. It's going to have to be everybody. We don't have an obvious rotation change that will elevate us defensively and that's where we need to be elevated. There's a couple of things we can do, and I'm sure on a back to back we'll see some different guys, but we'll see.''

''I don't think you just do something different to do something different, you do something different for a reason. I'm not one to say 'oh we're not winning enough, we'll just throw Joe Schmoe out in the starting lineup'; you make moves cause you have confidence it will make you better, that's the way I would operate.''

Rebounding?

''While all the focus has been on the three pointers, and rightly so when you give up 67 in three games, but one area we've dropped off is our defensive rebounding percentage, we've dropped a lot in the month of February and we've got to get back to that.''

Scheme changes?

''We actually started the year up high and then we backed up a bit, but we're trying to find the right levels. PnR, that's scheme related to a degree, but 1 on 1 is 1 on 1, you've gotta be able to play the ball, and our ability to contain the ball has been a big problem.''

Steven Adams is one of the few bright spots on this team and is definitely NOT the reason teams bombs away on the Pelicans.

If the Blazers can stop Dallas from lighting them up with Enes ****** Kanter, then the problem is obviously elsewhere.

But carry on folks. Carry on. I'm one of a few folks to score one of these off the Pelicans shop page so I'm happy

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    MM. dae's drivel means he has no response.
    He never does. He acts like the smart guy when the board is dead and acts like some expert when there are nothing but kids around. But if and when real basketball minds come around it is obvious he is just the older kid amongst a group of kids. Not allowed at the adult table

He never does. He acts like the smart guy when the board is dead and acts like some expert when there are nothing but kids around. But if and when real basketball minds come around it is obvious he is just the older kid amongst a group of kids. Not allowed at the adult table
    Michael "if and when real basketball minds come around" McNamara

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Steven Adams is one of the few bright spots on this team and is definitely NOT the reason teams bombs away on the Pelicans.

If the Blazers can stop Dallas from lighting them up with Enes ****** Kanter, then the problem is obviously elsewhere.

But carry on folks. Carry on. I'm one of a few folks to score one of these off the Pelicans shop page so I'm happy

That is.... an absolute thing of beauty right there.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post

That's a pretty neat hat, gotta say.

How?s the restaurant? Obviously you not doing business if you are on here. Send us a menu at least

I do fully expect another L tonight. This team plays badly on the road. And as we saw with the Saints, it's just too difficult to keep beating the same team over and over.

Tonight would make 6 straight over Memphis. I do not believe it will happen.

Running Lonzo Ball in the post is not what I expected to see us open with but okay

Lonzo in transition like that is a good look. I like it when there's an open lane and he takes it.

Ingram just hates making things easy for himself. Why would he pass when he could take a double teamed fading 16 footer?

There we go Ingram, just make that pass every time

I hope the early shooting is a sign of things to come

Lonzo picks up the 2nd foul and he's off to the bench - Kira time

I don't know what this means, but six minutes in and not one mention of Eric Bledsoe's name.

Torrid general scoring going on early, interesting to see how good the offense looks with Kira getting run. He's obviously got stuff to learn but he just looks comfortable.

Solid start to the game so far from Bledsoe, love seeing him rotate to take that charge.

Thread Information