Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bulls confirm interest in Lonzo

Rumor Bulls confirm interest in Lonzo

Details

https://pippenainteasy.com/2021/02/1...zo-ball-trade/

https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2021/02/...-lonzo-ball-2/

Chicago Bulls Receive: G Lonzo Ball, C Nicolo Melli, CLE 2021 2nd Round Pick (via NOP), WAS 2021 2nd Round Pick (via NOP)

New Orleans Pelicans Receive: F Thaddeus Young, G Denzel Valentine, CHI 2023 1st Round Pick (Lottery-Protected)
    Thoughts?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Huh. Weird. All this time I coulda sworn Valentine was like 6'7" or 6'8" or something. Either way, we need to get a 3rd team in the mix.

I don't hate it.

I like the idea of adding a forward to play significant minutes to spell Zion and Ingram. He looks like one of the better defenders on their team. He put's up some points too. Don't think the age fits well but whatever, you'd have him for this and next year to see how it works. It would be an interesting change of pace to see a legit forward off the bench.

Can't get too excited about Valentine. Feels like we have a ton of ok and potential guards already. He's not bad from 3 this year though. He shoots them at a fairly high clip. He also looks like a good defender for them.

Actually Young and Valentine are 1 and 2 in defensive rating for the Bulls.

I don't think we get better for this year or anything. We'd lose a starter and don't gain one. I wouldn't hate seeing some of our younger guards get more shots.

I think the main thing I like is adding some size off the bench just to change things up. Give our stars breathers without wringing our hands. Maybe it would help them figure out a way to create some semblance of a functioning defense as this year's end goal. I don't see Lonzo as a bad defender or anything, certainly has his bright moments, I'd just like to see what would happen if we put a defending forward out there that can put up some points.

I'm not really sure about the overall value. I guess a first from the Bulls make it worth it. I don't think the seconds mean much to us. I mainly just think this team could use a shakeup. I don't have anything against Ball, he's just who the Bulls want.
    Last edited by Stalwart385; 02-15-2021 at 06:35 PM.

I like Thad Young, and have been in favour of the Pelicans acquiring him in the past, but I'm not quite sure how he'd fit into the rotation right now. We're obviously not going to give him a chunk of Zion's minutes, and it's not like Melli is getting minutes for him to take. He's not really a SF at this point of his career either, he's lost a fair bit of his speed to age and is really only fit for guarding PFs at this point so it's not like you can use him as a switch/tweener to spell for Ingram at the 3 either, or give him Hart's minutes there.

There's probably a very easy way to do it that I'm just not registering right now, but that would be something you'd have to have some kind of idea about before you acquired him.

Not interested in Valentine really at all. Hugely mediocre player that I wouldn't want taking up minutes over anyone, really; he'd be one of those guys you acquire just cause hes in the deal and then don't really play.

The concern for me is that pick: lottery protected? From the Bulls? Within only 2 years? So that's basically not a real pick, then. If you could finagle that down to top 8 protected we might have a conversation as to its value.

It's not a bad position for negotiations to start from though. If you can turn ''Thad Young, Denzel Valentine, lottery protected 1st'' into ''Thad Young, top 8 protected 1st'' then I'd pull the trigger, probably.
    Basketball.

Yeah they aint going into the lux tax for Young and Valentine.

Outgoing salaries: 15.1M
    In coming salaries : 18.1M

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Huh. Weird. All this time I coulda sworn Valentine was like 6'7" or 6'8" or something. Either way, we need to get a 3rd team in the mix.
    Comes down to that for me. If this is the best the Bulls are willing to offer, there needs to be some talk elsewhere, maybe from someone who wants Young and is willing to add back value to us elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I like Thad Young, and have been in favour of the Pelicans acquiring him in the past, but I'm not quite sure how he'd fit into the rotation right now. We're obviously not going to give him a chunk of Zion's minutes, and it's not like Melli is getting minutes for him to take. He's not really a SF at this point of his career either, he's lost a fair bit of his speed to age and is really only fit for guarding PFs at this point so it's not like you can use him as a switch/tweener to spell for Ingram at the 3 either, or give him Hart's minutes there.

There's probably a very easy way to do it that I'm just not registering right now, but that would be something you'd have to have some kind of idea about before you acquired him.

Not interested in Valentine really at all. Hugely mediocre player that I wouldn't want taking up minutes over anyone, really; he'd be one of those guys you acquire just cause hes in the deal and then don't really play.

The concern for me is that pick: lottery protected? From the Bulls? Within only 2 years? So that's basically not a real pick, then. If you could finagle that down to top 8 protected we might have a conversation as to its value.

It's not a bad position for negotiations to start from though. If you can turn ''Thad Young, Denzel Valentine, lottery protected 1st'' into ''Thad Young, top 8 protected 1st'' then I'd pull the trigger, probably.
    I'm seeing his shot chart shrunk this year in particular. Few years ago it looks like BI's. Could be another indicator. What about him subbing Zion and Adams, instead of Zion and BI? Just a random thought. Not that he's a center but a "small" lineup, that isn't really that small.

Just don't see how that trade benefits us.
    "..but there's Baron dribbling the ball for 20 seconds, hoisting bad 3s and single-handedly killing them in close games. It's like somebody shrunk Antoine Walker and gave him his own team."
    - Bill Simmons (2006)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

RESPECT DA KID!!! Contributor BigChris504's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Me neither, and no way in the world do I think this is the best we can get for Lonzo at all.

Addition by subtraction and getting something rather than nothing.

I guess to me Lonzo still shows some potential with his shot improving. What kind of a first are we talking about in terms of protection matters too.

Unless I get a legitimate starter under 30 or see a legitimate possibility of a high lottery pick back in return, I hold my hand with regard to Ball if I'm the Pelicans. Like it or not, Ball, at 23, still can turn into something special; something that neither Young or Valentine or a non-lottery draft pick could ever be.

We have to stop being the league's farm team of choice.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    TRASH OFFER. HELL NO.

Lonzo is worth more than this offer. We're going to go towards a Kira/Lonzo/BI/Zion core. The only way that doesn't happen is if Lonzo demands he wants to play PG exclusively but I think he realizes his role is best being 3&D with great passing.

Put Markannen up and you get my interest

Deadline day is March 25

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    Lonzo is worth more than this offer. We're going to go towards a Kira/Lonzo/BI/Zion core. The only way that doesn't happen is if Lonzo demands he wants to play PG exclusively but I think he realizes his role is best being 3&D with great passing.
    Wonder how much he realises that when he finds out that it cuts his payday in half.

It doesn't at all. We are giving up 2 high 2nds i next year's draft for a lottery protected 1st in 2 years (that likely we don't touch for a while, if at all). Valentine is a deep bench player for us. Young is a decent role player who turns 33 in a few months. Heavy pass.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Put Markannen up and you get my interest

Deadline day is March 25
    THIS!!!!
    And nothing less

The article is ridiculous. The assume that by Shams reporting a rumor, it is a "confirmation" of the Bulls interest.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    The article is ridiculous. The assume that by Shams reporting a rumor, it is a "confirmation" of the Bulls interest.
    It’s in my title. Interest! We have end of March to discuss

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-with-pelicans

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    It’s in my title. Interest! We have end of March to discuss

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-with-pelicans
    "Confirm" is the key word. There is nothing confirmed by the Bulls, only rumors.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    "Confirm" is the key word. There is nothing confirmed by the Bulls, only rumors.
    Shams is a credible source. Much like WoJ

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Shams is a credible source. Much like WoJ
    Shams also clearly states there's been no dialogue between the teams

There's probably a 2% chance this eventuates in anything

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Shams also clearly states there's been no dialogue between the teams

There's probably a 2% chance this eventuates in anything
    But if it happened. I would tag it rumor but I don’t know how to add it.

I’m beginning to believe we should keep Lonzo

Thread Information