Pelicans Report

Thread: It would have been nice to have D?Antoni and Nash coaching our team

It would have been nice to have D?Antoni and Nash coaching our team

It would have been nice having those two coaching our team. I wonder if that was Griff?s plan last year at this time and The Nets grabbed them before we could? Why was Griff. Dragging his feet at the hiring process? For this? Why not go for a younger coach like Indiana, OKC, and Memphis? Instead we get some guy that looks like Ron Jeremy. I have tried to defend SVG but it his getting harder each day. Sick of this.

If fans are pissed now about our defense im not sure what it woul be be with them on the helm...

Not sure why he did not go with someone like Atkinson or a younger coach that may be able to relate to our younger team. Hiring someone like SVG gives the appearance that not many wanted this job (which is hard to believe with Zion and BI on the team).

In two years we will have our chance to find the next hot retread.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    If fans are pissed now about our defense im not sure what it woul be be with them on the helm...

Does this team look excited with what they got now? You don't need a defense if you got the offense. See Warrors, Lakers etc.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 02-15-2021 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Not sure why he did not go with someone like Atkinson or a younger coach that may be able to relate to our younger team. Hiring someone like SVG gives the appearance that not many wanted this job (which is hard to believe with Zion and BI on the team).
    Or what Gayle was willing to spend?

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Mark Jackson? He likes NAW

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Does this team look excited with what they got now? You don't need a defense if you got the offense. See Warrors, Lakers etc.
    If offense is all it takes to keep a team look excited then why fire Gentry.... Kenny Atkinson was my first choice cause i was impressed with what he did with the nets

Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    If offense is all it takes to keep a team look excited then why fire Gentry.... Kenny Atkinson was my first choice cause i was impressed with what he did with the nets
    I like Atkinson. Gentry good assistant . Gentry Historically bad HC.

What are you talking about?

The Lakers are the league's best defense this year, and were the league's 3rd best defense last year.
    During their 2014-15 championship year, the Warriors were the number 1 defense in the league. During their 2016-17 championship year, the 2nd best defense in the league. Their 2017-18 ring year had the lowest defense of any of these teams mentioned, but they were still 11th: still the top half of the league.

You absolutely need a defense even if your offense is good, at least if you want to be a legitimately good team rather than just a Portland. Championship calibre teams are always defensively solid at least, and usually much better than that.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    What are you talking about?

The Lakers are the league's best defense this year, and were the league's 3rd best defense last year.
    During their 2014-15 championship year, the Warriors were the number 1 defense in the league. During their 2016-17 championship year, the 2nd best defense in the league. Their 2017-18 ring year had the lowest defense of any of these teams mentioned, but they were still 11th: still the top half of the league.

You absolutely need a defense even if your offense is good, at least if you want to be a legitimately good team rather than just a Portland. Championship calibre teams are always defensively solid at least, and usually much better than that.
    Have you seen these scores. There is not much defense in NBA period right now. I don't even think we get free fries anymore.

Have you seen these scores. There is not much defense in NBA period right now. I don't even think we get free fries anymore.

Should've known better than to try and reason with you.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Yeah they would definitely run out of fries lol

The 'one and done college experience' reels its ugly head. It's all about flash these days...immature flash....and defense doesn't fit that bill.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    The 'one and done college experience' reels its ugly head. It's all about flash these days...immature flash....and defense doesn't fit that bill.
    The NBA wants more 150-135 scores. Which means very little defense period. You are right.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    JVG?

I think people are mixing up ''defense'' with ''low scores''. Remember that the amount you score is entirely dependent on pace: even good defenses will give up a lot of points if everyone is playing at a high pace.

The best team in basketball this year defensively is the Lakers: their DRtg is 105.2, and their pace is 99.1. This means they give up about 105.8 points per game.

The best defensive team in basketball fifteen years ago, in 2006, was the Miami Heat. Their DRtg was 104.5, barely any better than today's best defense, but they only gave up 96.0 points per game. So what gives?!

Pace. That Heat team played at a pace of 91.6, almost 8 fewer possessions per game than today's Lakers, and as a result the scoring totals were comfortably lower despite their actual defensive rating being barely any better.

The idea that nobody defends anymore because scores are high in games totally ignores the pace element and pretends that everyone is just scoring at far higher rates than in the past: this isn't true. The per-possession scoring is basically the same today against the best defensive teams as it was 15 years ago, the only difference is how many of those possessions teams get: obviously more possessions = more points total even if the actual effectiveness of those shots isn't any better.

I’m glad that we at least went for a defensive minded coach over a Globe Trotters sillyball coach. I do think there may be some truth that Stan is the wrong coach for a young group of guys. Hell, he admitted that he wasn’t used to coaching a young team. My issue with Stan is he doesn’t know what to commit to.

Is he committed to winning? Tanking? Development? Offense? Defense? Confidence? Is he committed to NAW? is he committed to Reddick? Jax? Billy Hernangomez? There doesn’t seem to be a freakin plan at all. It doesn’t help that he is burdened with Bledsoe on a sizable 3 year deal. It doesn’t help that he is probably being pressured to make sure we get value for Lonzo. But there are things he can control. Expecting a group that spent a year under Alvin freakin Gentry and had no offseason to defend like the Milwaukee Bucks is suicidal. To dare every team’s star guard to take the game to us when Bledsoe’s head is in Barbados is silly. We need to build confidence first. You can practice your scheme in games, but don’t wait till we are 35 down to switch things up. That is how you get the likes of Bledsoe and others to give up on you.

And also, Stan inexplicably dropped NAW for Reddick and we started losing games. I get that we want to get value for our guys, but pulling stunts like that also leads to drops in confidence.

They have Hall of Fame players who can turn it on with they have to. Either though elite scoring or elevating their team to play defense through stretches. No use in use trying to mimic the Lakers, Nets, Warriors when we don't have the personnel to pull it off.
    Actual proof Greivis Vasquez can throw Anthony Davis an Alley-OOP on an (kinda) fastbreak!

JVG?
    If that’s the option we might just be better off saving the cash and just pulling fans from stands, selected by shooting a T-shirt from a tshirt cannon, and if your shirt says “your the coach” the winner is you.

Thread Information