Pelicans Report

Thread: Time to strike? Trade for Beal

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

Time to strike? Trade for Beal

Send Lonzo, Reddick, 3 first round picks and pick swaps.

Kira, Beal, Ingram, Zion, Adams

Beal with Ingram and Zion would be a monster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my mind... That's just not a championship caliber move. It's better than no move. For something like that... I need a Jimmy Butler leadership/work ethic/culture to go with it. When we got plenty of scorers... I really a want a High IQ game manager that can also score points and do other things too at that price.

Which doesn't exist. I rather focus trading up in the draft.
    Last edited by Taker597; 02-14-2021 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Send Lonzo, Reddick, 3 first round picks and pick swaps.

Kira, Beal, Ingram, Zion, Adams

Beal with Ingram and Zion would be a monster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think I’d rather Lavine. Fits this team’s timeline better and could probably be had for slightly less.

I think I might also prefer Lavine, weirdly enough.

And my reasoning for it, believe it or not, is defensive.

Beal has been a terrible defender for about 3 years now (this is the third year of it) and there's really no argument against that. He's been just legitimately awful, in every single advanced stat as well as the eye test, and while there's some argument that he'd be better on another team where his offensive load was smaller that's purely speculation.

Lavine on the other hand has a reputation for being a terrible defender - and god knows he was - but he has actually showed some improvement in recent seasons. He's not a good defender, don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to argue that he's a really good wing D guy now, but he's not as miserable as he used to be and is occasionally even 'good'. Not great, not special, not consistently really solid, but just fine.

Fine > legit awful.

Edit: same reason I'm more open to trading for John Collins now that he's apparently on the block. He's improved as a defender a lot this year; no longer a flat out bad defender, like he has been in the past, he's actually pretty fine most of the time now.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 02-14-2021 at 11:04 PM.
    Basketball.

I would also rather Lavine.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Lavine or not I think they'd want more than that. Probably 6 of our picks.

It'll fall into place better when Kira/Lonzo become the starting backcourt. Focus the war-chest on finding a Center that complements Zion better.

Lonzo's shooting seems to be trending upward (3pt and FT%) and Kira is the guy you actually want initiating the offense. Kira/Lonzo/BI/Zion is going to be enough to get you to the playoffs as they get a full year starting together, but you need that Myles Turner/Al Horford type of player to really balance out the team. That's there the war-chest should be focussing on.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Lavine or not I think they'd want more than that. Probably 6 of our picks.
    You're not getting an Anthony Davis sized return for Lavine. Anthony Davis is/was a top 5 player at the time of the trade; Lavine isn't even top 25.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    You're not getting an Anthony Davis sized return for Lavine. Anthony Davis is/was a top 5 player at the time of the trade; Lavine isn't even top 25.
    Agree. I think we would have to send 2, maybe 3 firsts depending on their interest in any of our players.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I was referring more to the first trade. Also Lonzo's value is less than it was when we traded for him and JJ is basically just an expiring. That's different than younger Lonzo plus Ingram and Hart. So for a Beal trade it would definitely take that much I'd think considering nobody is super excited about Laker and Bucks picks. You're right though Lavine would presumably be much cheaper.

The Franchise
    We need a stretch big in the worst way. Teams pack the paint so bad it’s hard for driving lanes. If Collins is available he would be the perfect big next to zion and even Adams. I’m not worried about next year because first we can match and second, we’ll be able to see what kind of fit he has with the team. We need this now before season gets out of reach, if we wait for the trade deadline for Beal or Lavine this season could be over already. We’d still have assets when the time comes and they are available.

https://tradenba.com/trades/ODuf41Ck5

I think that is a solid trade for both sides.

Pels lineup:

Bledsoe/Lewis
    LaVine/Thornwell
    Ingram/Hart
    Zion/Markkanen/Gabriel
    Adams/Hernangomez/Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    https://tradenba.com/trades/ODuf41Ck5

I think that is a solid trade for both sides.

Pels lineup:

Bledsoe/Lewis
    LaVine/Thornwell
    Ingram/Hart
    Zion/Markkanen/Gabriel
    Adams/Hernangomez/Hayes
    Bulls would laugh us off the phone.

Thread Information