Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: February 14th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Detroit Pistons - 11-14

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    This is what happens when you hire Ron Jeremy to coach your team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That’s just vulgar... Bruh. He ain't deserve that.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    That?s just vulgar... Bruh. He ain't deserve that.
    Lol I like Stan. Just a joke. The team is going through growing pains imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man I just wish we can trade Bled and JJ already, I want Kira and NAW to get more minutes.

The team's best on ball AND PnR defender right now looks like.....Kira Lewis.

Year after year, regime after regime, new start and new young star and hope and it is always the same.

I thought adding Chris Paul would have been the biggest add we could do and seriously change our culture but trusted in Griff and krewe. Love SVG as a dude and analyst but I'm pretty tired of this team already this year.

Try to get my friends into the Pelicans every few years with our new start and they get all on board and we don't deliver time after time..
    "..but there's Baron dribbling the ball for 20 seconds, hoisting bad 3s and single-handedly killing them in close games. It's like somebody shrunk Antoine Walker and gave him his own team."
    - Bill Simmons (2006)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Year after year, regime after regime, new start and new young star and hope and it is always the same.

I thought adding Chris Paul would have been the biggest add we could do and seriously change our culture but trusted in Griff and krewe. Love SVG as a dude and analyst but I'm pretty tired of this team already this year.

Try to get my friends into the Pelicans every few years with our new start and they get all on board and we don't deliver time after time..
    Been here since the beginning and you are 100 percent correct. They seem to be rebuilding for 4 years and then start a new rebuild. It’s like they are running in place.

Seems like we need to trade some dead weight. I know it's growing pains but man it's tough to be a New Orleans basketball fan when this same thing happens year after year. Besides the year with boogie, we haven't been sh*t. I want to us be great terribly lol. I'm not willing to leverage our future too heavily (no more than 3 picks I presume) .... But man we need some help. Why do we constantly getting pooped on, on defense. Ive seen Stan in action with Detroit, and their defense was great. We need to get wayyyy better. I'm willing to switch up personnel. Especially in the backcourt.

Agreed. Seriously disappointed Griff didn't pursue that.

Neither one of our star forwards are gifted defensively. Consequently, if the team sells out to cover for their shortcomings inside (retreat to the paint), the three will be there for anybody to abuse.

The way we are playing right now makes me appreciate Kenny Hustle more and more every day.
    Last edited by As I See It; 02-14-2021 at 10:05 PM.

Hard to figure this team they have talent but doesn't translate into winning basketball. BI may have reached his ceiling he's a very good player but not a #1 option on a good team. The overall team defense is bad. I thought SVG was a good defensive coach or maybe the players aren't buying in.

I mean, what are you supposed to say? 3 consecutive losses to some of the worst teams in basketball, you can't just pretend there's no issue there.

Has anyone else noticed how bad Ingram has been over this three game stretch? He's gone ultra cold again at the worst possible time (in terms of gaining momentum against teams we should beat) and his defense seems to be declining at the same rate Zion's has improved.

Over the last 3 games, Ingram is averaging 25.6/4.8/5.3 on 39.3%FG (24/61) and 32.1% from 3 (9/28). It's really bad. And it's not like he's picking his spots more carefully as a result, he's actually throwing more shots up: about 20 FGAs a game is up +3 shots a game on his season average. He's taking a considerable jump in volume attempts despite a huge drop off in efficiency, and he's doing it against awful defensive teams where there's no reason to be so desperate.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Wecandothis View Post
    Hard to figure this team they have talent but doesn't translate into winning basketball. BI may have reached his ceiling he's a very good player but not a #1 option on a good team. The overall team defense is bad. I thought SVG was a good defensive coach or maybe the players aren't buying in.
    Clearly. I think part of the issue with our offense right now is that tension between what BI is expected to do (both by himself and also to some extent by the staff) and what he actually is. They're playing him like he's KD when he's actually Khris Middleton-lite.

SVG said in the post-game stuff that he has to consider a lineup change because it's clear there's something not working right now. He didn't say that there would be a change, but he said that they can't just keep going as they are without having to put some serious thought in. The question is what do they change?

- Zion isn't playing massive minutes and it's not like you're going to take minutes away from him, for obvious reasons.
    - Ingram is our second best offensive player and is getting a max payment, it's not like you're going to drop his minutes dramatically.
    - Lonzo's coming up as a FA and whether we want to trade him or not we need to be getting him reasonable play time to show what he can do
    - JJ is already playing very very little
    - Jax is already not really playing
    - NAW is already not really playing

The only thing that seems clear to me is that Kira should continue getting more play, but it's not like we can just relegate Bledsoe to the bench or whatever cause we're (apparently) trying to trade him, so even if that would be the best thing to do from an on-court standpoint we have to remember that there's more than just the on-court stuff for the FO/Stan to worry about.

So what can we do? Twitter is full of ''we're gonna play Wenyen Gabriel'' types but that just reveals something particularly miserable about your team: how bad do you have to be before you're hoping for Wenyen Gabriel and Sindarius Thornwell to save you? Cause they won't save you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    SVG said in the post-game stuff that he has to consider a lineup change because it's clear there's something not working right now. He didn't say that there would be a change, but he said that they can't just keep going as they are without having to put some serious thought in. The question is what do they change?

- Zion isn't playing massive minutes and it's not like you're going to take minutes away from him, for obvious reasons.
    - Ingram is our second best offensive player and is getting a max payment, it's not like you're going to drop his minutes dramatically.
    - Lonzo's coming up as a FA and whether we want to trade him or not we need to be getting him reasonable play time to show what he can do
    - JJ is already playing very very little
    - Jax is already not really playing
    - NAW is already not really playing

The only thing that seems clear to me is that Kira should continue getting more play, but it's not like we can just relegate Bledsoe to the bench or whatever cause we're (apparently) trying to trade him, so even if that would be the best thing to do from an on-court standpoint we have to remember that there's more than just the on-court stuff for the FO/Stan to worry about.

So what can we do? Twitter is full of ''we're gonna play Wenyen Gabriel'' types but that just reveals something particularly miserable about your team: how bad do you have to be before you're hoping for Wenyen Gabriel and Sindarius Thornwell to save you? Cause they won't save you.
    Just a lot self inflicted FO roster management moves and Griffin really struggling to really "Hit" on a move that doesn't involve trading away your star players.

Granted, he does a lot of cute moves that probably work other teams, but it has clearly hasn't for us.

Just a lot self inflicted FO roster management moves and Griffin really struggling to really "Hit" on a move that doesn't involve trading away your star players.

Granted, he does a lot of cute moves that probably work other teams, but it has clearly hasn't for us.
    I mean, I don't really care about that right now because anyone who thinks this is the ''final'' version of this roster (that is, that this team is the team we'll have in 3 years when everything 'should' be clicking) is just rushing the process in their minds. A lot of the moves Griff has made are fine, considering where we are.

The problem is that if you want to actively make a run this year instead of filing it as a ''try hard, play the youth, develop them'' year then we're out of options.

There's this weird mis-alignment between team priorities and what we actually are. This whole ''we're going to rebuild but also win at the same time'' logic can work, but very rarely; it's hard to just decide that's what you're going to do. In reality what has to happen far more often is for a team to say ''okay, we're going to just play the young guns and see what happens''. If we were starting Kira and playing Jax and so on, and they were getting really good developmental minutes alongside Zion, I don't really think most of us would mind losing that much. Obviously we'd prefer to win as well but we'd see what was happening and we'd know we're in line for a good pick this year and we'd be able to add another piece and the direction would be clear.

Similarly, if the goal was to compete right this minute then trading away players like Jrue to accumulate picks doesn't really make sense, and we should be committing to moving them for someone like Beal to try and make that run right now. Some of us, again, wouldn't prefer that strategy but at least the direction would be clear.

Right now we're trying to play both sides so that we always come out on top, but unfortunately that just doesn't work. Pick a direction and do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I mean, I don't really care about that right now because anyone who thinks this is the ''final'' version of this roster (that is, that this team is the team we'll have in 3 years when everything 'should' be clicking) is just rushing the process in their minds. A lot of the moves Griff has made are fine, considering where we are.

The problem is that if you want to actively make a run this year instead of filing it as a ''try hard, play the youth, develop them'' year then we're out of options.

There's this weird mis-alignment between team priorities and what we actually are. This whole ''we're going to rebuild but also win at the same time'' logic can work, but very rarely; it's hard to just decide that's what you're going to do. In reality what has to happen far more often is for a team to say ''okay, we're going to just play the young guns and see what happens''. If we were starting Kira and playing Jax and so on, and they were getting really good developmental minutes alongside Zion, I don't really think most of us would mind losing that much. Obviously we'd prefer to win as well but we'd see what was happening and we'd know we're in line for a good pick this year and we'd be able to add another piece and the direction would be clear.

Similarly, if the goal was to compete right this minute then trading away players like Jrue to accumulate picks doesn't really make sense, and we should be committing to moving them for someone like Beal to try and make that run right now. Some of us, again, wouldn't prefer that strategy but at least the direction would be clear.

Right now we're trying to play both sides so that we always come out on top, but unfortunately that just doesn't work. Pick a direction and do it.
    In what universe is "Fine". It's whiff after whiff after whiff with occasional trading away two superstar and trading to get a big man. He has no sense of direction and that right there is the furthest thing from fine. Granted, you're not gonna win no coach over telling them point blank that they don't care about winning. So, you hire that wants to win.. He giving players minutes to the people that give him in his mind the best chances to win. Simple as day is what SVG trying to do. He wants to win. He doesn't like being a loser and has been one for a very long time. I can respect that about a coach, but this remenants of sloppy Small ball Gentry roster is a just so frustrating.

Then, you add on that Hayes will probably never play another minute as a Pelicans. NAW has been playing awful outside of when his shot is falling and provides little synergy has me super worried. So, our 4th pick trade in the short term is looking like a bust. Am I'm really missing Hunter? Not at all. Lewis is looking like a great rebound pick if they bust. And to be honest... Trajon didn't have his legs underneath him before the draft when we hired him. So, it's really not a big deal that his 1st outing isn't great. I still think he's a great scout for the most part.

I said before the season and we both agree this year was course correcting from the disaster that was last season. Not only would there be growing pain, but it would be a hog posh roster that would make no sense. Right now... Everyone is a bit emotional and frustrated with us sitting on this mess, but sometimes it's simply better to let it run its course and vent.

Pull out the The Dark Knight "Things are worse than ever" gag, but in all honesty the team has already shown some progression from 6-28 last year without a Jrue Holiday. For the 1st time in years, the team has been relatively healthy besides Adams playing through a lower extremity injury. Things are getting better. Point Zion is pretty awesome to be honest.

Griffin did have a horrendous off season last year. We can chalk it up as being tied to Gentry, but I will never say in any instances that it's "Fine." It will cost us two years of Zion. We got to finish this course correction in the next off season and start to overcome this roster mess started a year ago.

AD grabbing at the right ankle/achilles area Not a good sight, especially with that being why AD missed a couple games He hits the FTs but doesn’t move at all after and is now slowly walking off the floor

Just listened to the whole SVG postgame interview and I am so glad he finally said it.

In much more tactful words than mine would ever be, he called this team SOFT (in his coded language)!! It will be interesting to see how they respond. Will they begin to play with some grit and desire? Will they hold one another accountable? Or will they be satisfied to be viewed as the leagues most talented, and lovable, losers?

I've been waiting for ten years for someone to throw down the gauntlet and say what we all know, instead of covering for this team's players' unprofessional approach to the game here in New Orleans through two regimes.

To hell with: DON'T BOW DOWN...

It's time for: GROW A PAIR!!!
    Last edited by As I See It; 02-15-2021 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    The team's best on ball AND PnR defender right now looks like.....Kira Lewis.
    That kid is gonna be good at every phase of the game. Going to be a stud.

Griffin has justified not fully committing to a rebuild by saying you need veterans to build a “culture” of winning and a “family” atmosphere. This has been costly. We sacrificed picks and cap to bring in Adams. We spent a ton on Bledsoe, Redick, Favors. There is little evidence having these vets around has made much difference. Don’t see much more grit or intensity by having Bledsoe and Adams. Don’t see that having Holiday or Redick ever helped the team get to a .500 record. You can lose with anybody. Why not accumulate draft picks and cap space while the young guys get experience? That kind of clear vision would make losing much easier to take.

Same. With every superstar we get another rebuild, and it’s been this way since Baron Davis. We really are a poverty franchise built as a farm team of sorts. If a guy can make it here, then he can make it anyway. Let Baron, CP3, AD, Jrue, and now Zion toil away in New Orleans, and once the team’s rebuild doesn’t go as planned the players have the narrative necessary to leave. If we have seen it once we have seen it a thousand times. What proof is there that this rebuild doesn’t end the same way as those others? This team is suffering the same fate as previous ones.

It’s wild because before the bubble last year people were saying “we played the hard part of our schedule, the easy part is coming.” The easy part never came, and we never rebound from the disappointing start in order to do much in the bubble. That hasn’t changed much either as our players still aren’t playing with heart or purpose. If we continue our culture of losing it’s sure as ******** going to be impossible to turn that same cast of characters into a culture of winners.

We are slowly digging our own grave, and with each shovel we are shoveling out the reasons for Zion to want to stick around.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I enjoy watching the games but I also enjoy the losing. We need one more good pick. Fingers crossed in the lottery. Watching the games I get the feeling we aren't even trying to win. Whether that's bad playing, coaching incompetence or on purpose...or any combination I'm not sure. Either way another impact pick I truly feel is more important than winning this year. If the players overcome that than so be it, but it isn't happening so far with any consistency.

In what universe is "Fine". It's whiff after whiff after whiff with occasional trading away two superstar and trading to get a big man. .
    The AD trade was really good. The Redick signing was fine. The Adams trade was good. The Miller extension was fine until Miller's ankle exploded which I don't blame Griff for (wild, I know). Missing out on Wood for Okafor was obviously a mistake. Refusing to cave to Lonzo's agent and sign his extension prior to this season was a good decision. The Jrue trade was mixed - it honestly depends what we do with Bledsoe whether or not that I can rate that well or not. If Bledsoe gets flipped pre-deadline for a decent asset, then I think it went well; if he doesn't then I think it was ultimately more bad than good.

How do you describe a leadership which is characterised by some clear mistakes, but also some clear victories and good decisions? I describe it as fine. It's not great, Griff hasn't been a mastermind in his time here, at least not yet, but he's not been horrifically bad or anything. It's been fine.

Guessing we lost. Never got a push notification or anything from the Pelicans.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Griffin has justified not fully committing to a rebuild by saying you need veterans to build a “culture” of winning and a “family” atmosphere. This has been costly. We sacrificed picks and cap to bring in Adams. We spent a ton on Bledsoe, Redick, Favors. There is little evidence having these vets around has made much difference. Don’t see much more grit or intensity by having Bledsoe and Adams. Don’t see that having Holiday or Redick ever helped the team get to a .500 record. You can lose with anybody. Why not accumulate draft picks and cap space while the young guys get experience? That kind of clear vision would make losing much easier to take.
    It is a bit frustrating as we appear to have one foot in and one foot out of a rebuild. The "middle of the road" approach is not working and we are wasting money and picks on players that are not part of the future.

Thread Information