Pelicans Report

Thread: Old Man & the Three: Episode 42 - Steven Adams

Podcast Old Man & the Three: Episode 42 - Steven Adams

I really enjoy JJ Redick?s podcast. He and Tommy Alter do a great job in engaging their guests, and really getting under the surface to see what makes them tick

This weeks episode he and Tommy spoke with Steven Adams, and it was very interesting.

1) someone needs to invite Steven to a Crawfish Boil
    2) Nacho Libre is criminally underrated
    3) While players say that the NBA is a family, it sounds like it?s just as much a family as your average kitchen crew at Arby?s.

Anyway, it?s a great listen. If y?all do listen maybe we can to do these on a weekly (so that we have a different subject to discuss).

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1WS...TAadbIXizC78ZA
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I think we need to trade JJ

Always some interesting things to take from J.J.'s pod--not all of them on the surface. Some of my take aways...

-The guys seem exhausted. I don't if this is a Pels thing or league wide. Adams did a make a semi-sarcastic remark about how the Pels practice, they don't get days off...

-In a discussion about the team dynamic on the Thunder when Russ, KD, Serge and Perkins were all on the roster, Adams said they clashed but in a good way and that things were hashed out in the open. There then was a little discussion about how "not all" teams or players can handle that dynamic.

-There was a further discussion on team dynamics where J.J. observed that you can't create an intense, fiery team environment "artificially." Adams agreed. As J.J. in the past said that the Pels where the quietest team he's ever been around, I think that discussion is a window into the Pels team dynamics.

-J.J. said every NBA player should be allowed 2 major blow ups per season to let off steam. Adams remarked he was waiting for J.J.'s to erupt soon and they both laughed.

-Adams made an observation that on the Thunder the team was good in part because everyone bought into the scheme and did their assignments during the games. Specifically, he noted how Westbrook said "this is the way we are doing things" and, whether or not it was necessarily the best way, it was okay because everyone was on the same page. He then noted it wasn't one of these situations where guys say "yeah, ok" then don't go out and run the scheme during the games. Thought that remark carried some weight.

Sure there was other stuff people can point out. In general I think J.J. and the players he interviews are much more forthcoming in his podcast than they are in media interviews. Not that they call guys out or air dirty laundry (at least recent laundry), but I do think you can glean things about the Pels situation by listening to their discussions about how things work and how they should work on an NBA team.

Thread Information