Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: February 12th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Dallas Mavericks - 11-13

And as Lucky said, giving their star players free roam and letting them build confidence as we have is a recipe for disaster. Force other guys to make plays.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I think the issue (apart from Bledsoe kind of being a half baked defender for us is part of the problem), but our communication is just not on par with other top defensive sides. We look lost very often and I?ve rarely seen a team with so much defensive potential leave guys WIDE open. You will leave some guys open in this scheme. But we give them half of the court and a 15 minute recess to set their feet and practice their free throw from 3pt range. Not having the likes of Giannis and Middleton is a problem but the defensive potential is there. The execution is abysmal and until we have a full offseason we should not be trying to throw this together. It?s just stupid and kills everyone?s confidence.
    I agree that we shouldn't be this bad on defense, even with this scheme. That's where the players come in.

Right now we're the 26th rated defense in the NBA.

Even if you think the scheme is the primary problem and that with a different scheme we'd be, idk, 8 spots better (18th) you still can't deny that's a bad defense. Not bottom of the league anymore, sure, but slightly below average. If you want to that that from 18th to 12th or whatever, that's on the players: and if you accept that as true, then it only makes sense to imagine that this 26th rated defense could be at least a bit better, maybe 20th, if the players were doing better even if the scheme stayed the same.

Like you say, a huge part of it is communication.
    Basketball.

Face it, defensively..

Our two bigs are horrible in space.
    Though our three has length, he doesn't move his feet well and can be overpowered.
    Bledsoe is the reincarnation of Eric Gordon ("I don't want to be here"), but not the player Eric Gordon is.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I agree that we shouldn't be this bad on defense, even with this scheme. That's where the players come in.

Right now we're the 26th rated defense in the NBA.

Even if you think the scheme is the primary problem and that with a different scheme we'd be, idk, 8 spots better (18th) you still can't deny that's a bad defense. Not bottom of the league anymore, sure, but slightly below average. If you want to that that from 18th to 12th or whatever, that's on the players: and if you accept that as true, then it only makes sense to imagine that this 26th rated defense could be at least a bit better, maybe 20th, if the players were doing better even if the scheme stayed the same.

Like you say, a huge part of it is communication.
    It?s always been a Pelican problem and it is critical to a great defense. If Anthony, Jrue and company actually communicated like a top team or had a big voice in the locker room to fill that role, we would have easily been a top defense. Idk if it?s small market culture, the coaching staffs we bring in or we just never have a guy to fill that role, but it?s something we need to add. I think for too long we were concerned with bringing in ?good guys? that we forget it?s important to have a dominant personality in the locker room.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    It?s always been a Pelican problem and it is critical to a great defense. If Anthony, Jrue and company actually communicated like a top team or had a big voice in the locker room to fill that role, we would have easily been a top defense. Idk if it?s small market culture, the coaching staffs we bring in or we just never have a guy to fill that role, but it?s something we need to add. I think for too long we were concerned with bringing in ?good guys? that we forget it?s important to have a dominant personality in the locker room.
    I don't actually think it's important to have a ''dominant'' personality in the locker room at all. I just think it's important that the personalities you have are legitimate communicators who speak to each other and are honest about things.

I always go back to this as the primary example when people start talking about the need for some mythical ''alpha mentality'' or ''dominant'' mindsets or whatever: Tim Duncan. Anchored the Spurs dynasty for 20 years while being one of the quietest, most boring players in basketball. You don't need to be a ''dominant'' figure, at least not in the stereotypical sense, you just need to be consistently clear and communicative.

I don't actually think it's important to have a ''dominant'' personality in the locker room at all. I just think it's important that the personalities you have are legitimate communicators who speak to each other and are honest about things.

I always go back to this as the primary example when people start talking about the need for some mythical ''alpha mentality'' or ''dominant'' mindsets or whatever: Tim Duncan. Anchored the Spurs dynasty for 20 years while being one of the quietest, most boring players in basketball. You don't need to be a ''dominant'' figure, at least not in the stereotypical sense, you just need to be consistently clear and communicative.
    You?re right. There are guys like Tim who weren’t leaders in that ?dominant? sense. But you do need players that are willing to be open with teammates and make sure everyone is on the same page. We always seem to be lacking the presence of a Duncan, Lebron, Draymond, etc.

Dominant is maybe a bit of a strong word but the point still stands. Hopefully Zion and Ingram grow into those guys.

It was literally the most successful defensive tactic last season.

I get the reality that this defensive scheme is not the right fit for this team and SVG needs to make changes, but let's not pretend like nobody has had any success with this style of defense since 1985 or something. It was historically effective less than 8 months ago.
    And it is terrible league wide this year by the copycats. It is not a style that is a plug and play. It appears that it "worked" last year not because of a scheme, but because of the talent.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    And it is terrible league wide this year by the copycats. It is not a style that is a plug and play. It appears that it "worked" last year not because of a scheme, but because of the talent.
    Then the correct thing to say is ''we do not have the talent to run this system, it doesn't fit us'' not ''this scheme is a thing of the past, our coach is stuck in the past, this scheme can't work anymore''.

The Franchise
    I don’t think you need an alpha male but you do need 15 guys that HATE to lose and will do anything to win.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    No such thing as alpha males. If it were, then the moniker is pointless. We refer to such people as crazy or thugs or just plain selfish **************s.

Then the correct thing to say is ''we do not have the talent to run this system, it doesn't fit us'' not ''this scheme is a thing of the past, our coach is stuck in the past, this scheme can't work anymore''.
    Do you honestly think Stan's scheme would work even with the most ideal personnel available

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    No such thing as alpha males. If it were, then the moniker is pointless. We refer to such people as crazy or thugs or just plain selfish **************s.
    Not necessarily. You don't have to be a huge jerk to be an alpha male

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Not necessarily. You don't have to be a huge jerk to be an alpha male
    And you are right, somebody with an alpha personality doesn’t need to be toxic. It’s as I said above. Confidence to demand the best from your teammates and get them to communicate. Our guys need to be more vocal. You can be a sweetheart and be a leader. People think of the old ‘toxic masculinity’ stereotype and that is not what I am referring to.
    Last edited by JJackisangry; 02-14-2021 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    This is true.

The term, as commonly conceived, comes from a study in wolf psychology that was later revoked by its own author for not even being accurate to wolves themselves, let alone other animals.

The term is used elsewhere still among various animals but it generally doesn't outline the same kind of psychopathic individualism that this now debunked version did.

The Franchise
    I just want guys that hate to lose, not even a little ok with it. It’s the only thing I wish Jrue was a little more vocal about when we weren’t playing hard. I’m not saying everyone can be Kobe or MJ but they just refused to lose which elevated the whole team with that mentality. I know Lonzo doesn’t show emotion but he has to really be the catalyst for that and I haven’t seen that. I do believe Zion and BI are really trying which is awesome.

This is true.

The term, as commonly conceived, comes from a study in wolf psychology that was later revoked by its own author for not even being accurate to wolves themselves, let alone other animals.

The term is used elsewhere still among various animals but it generally doesn't outline the same kind of psychopathic individualism that this now debunked version did.
    Wrong, comes from God. The beginning. Alpha and omega. Ball movement should always start with your best player.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    Wrong, comes from God. The beginning. Alpha and omega. Ball movement should always start with your best player.
    The Greek alphabet exists. Whether alpha dog meant god or the first, doesn’t really matter. It was nonsense science that the researcher who penned it said he was wrong.

As for the parlance used in sports, it’s a matter of confidence, leadership, and passivity. But as time goes on, we will just see if the team rightfully defers to Zion or if he’ll start demanding the ball more.

There’s things going on with Ingram that need to be sorted eventually btw. Apart from how he plays with Zion, I mean.

All-Star
    Mavericks are 2/14 from 3's so far in todays game.... Why do teams get hot against us?

Quote Originally Posted by AussieHornet View Post
    Mavericks are 2/14 from 3's so far in todays game.... Why do teams get hot against us?
    Probably got something do with their mindset before the game's even started

"We playin the Pels tomorrow? LOL we're gonna land like eleventy billion threes on their ****** with our eyes closed ROFL!"
    Last edited by AusPel; 02-14-2021 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieHornet View Post
    Because we don't follow gameplanning analytics and don't pressure and grind off ball due to lack of size and strength?

Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post

Well, that's just a misunderstanding of the conversation, frankly.

Thread Information