Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: February 12th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Dallas Mavericks - 11-13

The Franchise
    2 guys are beating us again tonight. Don’t let him beat you, period. If he has 30 assists then so be it but we can’t keep letting Doncic/Lavine beat you.

STOP HELPING OFF THESE GUYS!!! WTF

Only GOOD consistent guys on this team is Adams and Zion for what they do.

Luka with a career high. #PelsLife

Well, at least Zion got more shots than Lonzo tonight. That's an improvement.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Don’t worry everyone. They are still growing. Growing since 2012.

The Franchise
    We need to work on double and recover. Don’t let a guy touch the ball and if he does double him till he gets rid of it.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Ok this is now the blueprint to beat us. 2 games in a row of franchise records for 3's in a game, and letting TWO guys blister your ****** all night from 3.

These guys should be doing 2 a days on perimeter defense now every damn day.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Well, at least Zion got more shots than Lonzo tonight. That's an improvement.
    Haha! that's pathethic for a team especially when they know they have a guy shooting over 60% from the field. Either they are stupid or stubborn to not get the ball to him.

Two 30 point players and we lose by 13. SMH

Luka had more points than all of our guards put together.

Adams averaging 4 rebounds over the last four games (no defensive rebounds tonight).

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    Ok this is now the blueprint to beat us. 2 games in a row of franchise records for 3's in a game, and letting TWO guys blister your ****** all night from 3.

These guys should be doing 2 a days on perimeter defense now every damn day.
    Exactly. It’s not a coincidence. Coaches are telling players that Pels don’t guard the three. Seems to be a true statement.

I can't believe this dinosaur is our coach man

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    I can't believe this dinosaur is our coach man
    Yeah he hadn’t adapted to the modern game. It may take him a while to be honest. He’s been out of coaching for a bit. He’s clearly not used to all five players shooting on the other team.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Exactly. It’s not a coincidence. Coaches are telling players that Pels don’t guard the three. Seems to be a true statement.
    Stan's philosophy is to let the other team live and die by the 3 while protecting the paint but somehow we cant do either of the two. I wanted Gentry gone too..but Stan is not It.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    He's also probably 6'7" 250, and knows how to use his girth.

But he shouldn't be able to tortoise past 2 defenders. And we seem to hate doubling anyone until it's too late.
    I hate being right about this stuff, but stupid is as stupid does.

They dont try to double or trap him until 4 minutes left in the game. They go over screens instead of under. They dont even switch on him until the 4th.

A lowly fan should not be able to outcoach an NBA head coach.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by PelicanNation View Post
    Stan's philosophy is to let the other team live and die by the 3 while protecting the paint but somehow we cant do either of the two. I wanted Gentry gone too..but Stan is not It.
    Unfortunately we're stuck with him.. I seriously doubt he gets fired after one season.

Oh yeah. He’s far from it. He can’t relate to the modern game at all.

Dallas' top 2 guys take 51 shots. Pelicans top 2 guys take 38. For some reason Lonzo takes 12 (10 of them 3s) while Zion can't miss.

In other news, the Pistons are about to the Celtics, and the rookie I was VERY high on, Saddiq Bey, turns in the rookie performance of the year.

He has 30 points on 10-12 shooting, and 7-7 behind the 3 pt line.

Woulda been nice to nab Kira then package and move up to 19 to take Bey.

The Clippers beat the Bulls and somehow only allow them to make 12 threes.

Meanwhile Pelicans last 2 teams are 50/92 behind the line. That has to be some kind of NBA record.

Defensively, unless Adams has at least one foot in the paint, he's a detriment. (come to think of it, offensively, too)

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Defensively, unless Adams has at least one foot in the paint, he's a detriment. (come to think of it, offensively, too)
    On paper the trade looked good..but we may have got fleeced .Wish we could get a Myles Turner like center to pair with Zion..protect the paint and stretch the floor..not to many of those floating around though.

On paper the trade looked good..but we may have got fleeced .Wish we could get a Myles Turner like center to pair with Zion..protect the paint and stretch the floor..not to many of those floating around though.
    We could have gotten Aron Baynes on a two year deal for 8MM per year. And, we wouldn't have had to give up anything as he was a free agent.

In reality we should now have Christian Wood, but that ship has sailed, too.

The issue is as others have said- we don’t just leave shooters open. We leave them WIDE open. Very frequently. Early in the season when the players bought in, we somehow made it work. Now that the players have pumped the breaks on that side of the ball, it has been horribly exposed.

Teams don’t even need to move the ball against us. They just run pick and roll or drive and kick- wide open shooter every time. The players are either gambling too much or Stan has got it horribly wrong. I think it’s a combination of both. And no, I don’t think Stan should get the same excuse Gentry got for some strange reason (the players are too dumb to run his super complex scheme). BS. There are coaches that come in day one and instill their defensive philosophy. We look a mess like we always have as a franchise. Sort it out.

It's entirely on coaching. No other reason on earth for us to consistently deprioritize the 3. Point blank. There's no way for us to evaluate the variance in "buy in" from one game to the next, and I doubt players players just suddenly decide to stop caring to that extent. Stan needs to cut this gimmick stuff out, not working

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    It's entirely on coaching. No other reason on earth for us to consistently deprioritize the 3. Point blank. There's no way for us to evaluate the variance in "buy in" from one game to the next, and I doubt players players just suddenly decide to stop caring to that extent. Stan needs to cut this gimmick stuff out, not working
    There is absolutely a buy in factor. Players like Bledsoe don?t suddenly become wack defensive players on a whim. Having said that, Stan is certainly not excused and he needs to find a remedy for this comedy of errors we see every night.

Thread Information