Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: February 10th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Chicago Bulls - 11-12

Yea, back to back road games (or even just home game to road game) are bs and I wish the league would cut that out.

I think Stan wants his team to prioritize defending inside. He'll sacrifice tight perimeter coverage for people to come inside and help. He said something to the effect before. They will live and die by the opposing teams 3. If a team shoots 53% on 47 threes they are probably going to lose. The difference between the Bulls having a historical night from 3 and just a good night from 3 (40% shooting) is 18 points.

I'm okay with what they are doing. That dead 3rd quarter offensively needs a good look though.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    I cant wait to see the starting lineup be Kira, Lonzo, BI, Zion, Adams
    That is what I would like to see as well

Quote Originally Posted by Stalwart385 View Post
    I think Stan wants his team to prioritize defending inside. He'll sacrifice tight perimeter coverage for people to come inside and help. He said something to the effect before. They will live and die by the opposing teams 3. If a team shoots 53% on 47 threes they are probably going to lose. The difference between the Bulls having a historical night from 3 and just a good night from 3 (40% shooting) is 18 points.

I'm okay with what they are doing. That dead 3rd quarter offensively needs a good look though.
    Yeah. You can’t really do anything about a team getting THAT hot apart from closing out a bit better and not getting caught overhelping. They had mediocre 3pt shooters lighting us on fire as well as LaVine. It’s something that we need to fix in the long run, but I expect these mistakes from a younger team.

This doesn’t change the fact that we have to be much better when it comes to dealing with a clogged paint and a tough defensive stretch from the Bulls. I love AD, but sometimes he talks himself into a hole when he harps on about forcing the ball to Zion when 10 pairs of hands are preparing to strip the ball the second he touches it. And in addition to our inconsistency beyond the arc, we have no in between game apart from Ingram and there are times where that is the only area for the taking. We also tend to stop the ball when things aren’t going our way which is a concern.

And man, if Kira played for a team that didn’t have a starting PG, he may have legitimately been a ROTY candidate. He is impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    And man, if Kira played for a team that didn’t have a starting PG, he may have legitimately been a ROTY candidate. He is impressive.
    The Pels don't have a starting PG.
    Bledsoe is a undersized SG and Lonzo is a wing.
    Sad thing is SVG can't just bench them for Lewis because of ego.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    More likely it is because he wants to ease Lewis in and not put too much pressure on him. I like how he is gradually getting comfortable. I think his time will increase as the season progresses assuming he continues his play. Also, by the trade deadline, things could change as well.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    The Pels don't have a starting PG.
    Bledsoe is a undersized SG and Lonzo is a wing.
    it's not ego. Such a tired argument when it comes to Stan's decision making. Kira is a young rookie and you ease guys like him in. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Defense wasn't great, but you cannot just put this all on defense. The Bulls were just red hot. In the beginning, everything they threw up went in. Sometimes other teams get hot and play well.
    Yeah no. This is the NBA. A team can get hot and put 45 on you in one quarter sure. But they shouldn't be able to do that to you TWICE in the same game. Especially not the Bulls.

That points to a structural issue that really needs to be fixed. And as i've stated for one, there is no reason for them to constantly be leaping at 3 point shooters this far into the season. Thats what practice is for.

Then you over help and leave guys that were eating you up since opening tip. A coach wouldn't have to tell me not to go run to the middle of the paint and leave Lavine, then go close out on him and White like a dumbass.

Maybe they play better defense and still lose this game, but not in that extraordinary fashion. No excuse for that.

One point that shouldn't be lost is Kira looked fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    it's not ego. Such a tired argument when it comes to Stan's decision making. Kira is a young rookie and you ease guys like him in. It's not a hard concept to grasp.
    I've never supported this mindset. ''Oh he's young, you have to ease him in'' not really. For some guys that's necessary, sure, but for other's it's not so much: you have to remember that while Kira is still young, he did play multiple seasons at college. He ran a successful college offense at age 17 and improved as a sophomore. He has been very very good in all of the minutes he's gotten this year so far, even if occasionally the interior shot making hasn't been that high.

For some guys, you have to bring them along slowly.
    For other guys, you stunt their growth and harm their confidence by trying that.

Kira is ready for minutes. He's not ready for 35 minutes a game, sure, but 15 consistent minutes a night as a backup guard should be very realistic, with the aim of those minutes increasing throughout the year. It's not like playing him over (say) Redick would cost us anything, because Redick isn't giving us anything either and at least Kira is a legitimately solid guard defender already.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I've never supported this mindset. ''Oh he's young, you have to ease him in'' not really. For some guys that's necessary, sure, but for other's it's not so much: you have to remember that while Kira is still young, he did play multiple seasons at college. He ran a successful college offense at age 17 and improved as a sophomore. He has been very very good in all of the minutes he's gotten this year so far, even if occasionally the interior shot making hasn't been that high.

For other guys, you stunt their growth and harm their confidence by trying that.

Kira is ready for minutes. He's not ready for 35 minutes a game, sure, but 15 consistent minutes a night as a backup guard should be very realistic, with the aim of those minutes increasing throughout the year. It's not like playing him over (say) Redick would cost us anything, because Redick isn't giving us anything either and at least Kira is a legitimately solid guard defender already.
    The good news is he's played 19+ minutes the last 3 games and looked good. He at least looks like he gives the team something no one else provides. I don't know if it's just situational but seems like it should continue.

...and how do you propose we bring along JAXSON?

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    ...and how do you propose we bring along JAXSON?
    He'll see more run later in the season as guys start to miss games. Love Adams, but he won't play all 72. It's a tough time for guys like Jax and Zion to learn defense because teams aren't really allowed to meet or practice while on the road right now.

Obviously, with hindsight, you can probably say that the Pels shouldn't have taken a project last season at 8 considering teams were about to be shut down for a year with covid, but such is life. Look how horrible every project from last years draft is. It's a shame, but Covid restrictions will likely destroy the career of 10-12 promising first rounders from the 2019 draft.

After initially being in the rotation, Melli is now so far out of the rotation I heard the NOPD put out an APB on him.
    JJ sat for a few games in favor of increased playing time for NAW.
    NAW has been siphoned out in favor of Kira.
    Flash seems to have crashed for the time being in favor of BH'G
    H'Gomez is now running with the Starters at times over Adams
    Bledsoe has had his minutes slashed considerably
    Zion is subbed out situationally due to his defensive ineptitude.
    Lonzo no longer drives the bus exclusively.

.....these are just a few of the moves SVG HASN'T made this year in 24 Games. The man is just so inflexible.
    Last edited by As I See It; 02-11-2021 at 03:06 PM.

Kira is ready for minutes. He's not ready for 35 minutes a game, sure, but 15 consistent minutes a night as a backup guard should be very realistic, with the aim of those minutes increasing throughout the year.
    Isn't that what is being done?

Could pretty easily make an argument that every player drafted 8 or later in the 2019 draft has regressed other than Grant Williams and Keldon Johnson. It really sucks

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    .....these are just a few of the moves SVG HASN'T made this year in 24 Games. The man is just so inflexible.
    Sarcasm, yes?

Isn't that what is being done?
    In the last handful of games, sure. For the majority of this season overall? No, not at all: we spent the first 20 or so games begging for Kira to get a look in.

In the last handful of games, sure. For the majority of this season overall? No, not at all: we spent the first 20 or so games begging for Kira to get a look in.
    See, you got pull, dae; you got your way.

Now if we can just get him to sit H'Gomez for JAX, huh?

Yep, SVG should have realized Kira's skills from the way he played in the Summer League and those five preseason games prior to the season. It's good that the new coach had all that time time to familiarize himself with the whole roster.

24 Games....two whole months!! SMH

Did you expect a rookie to supplant 2 veteran guards right out the gate after having no offseason? I agree he should have gotten some more time a little earlier, but I think he is getting the minutes he deserves now. His minutes should grow as the season progresses.

Did you expect a rookie to supplant 2 veteran guards right out the gate after having no offseason? I agree he should have gotten some more time a little earlier, but I think he is getting the minutes he deserves now. His minutes should grow as the season progresses.
    Bingo!!!

RESPECT DA KID!!! Contributor BigChris504's Avatar

Well said as always.

I wasn't demanding he start, even though on a personal level I do think that would be neat. I wanted him to get backup minutes, especially when it was becoming clear a few games in that Redick was not there.

Now I do understand that SVG likes Redick on a personal level and they go way back, and also that the team was hoping he'd warm up again for trade reasons if nothing else, but we were running an 8 man rotation at first if you remember, and it was silly. Kira deserved the minutes then that he's getting now. My only hope is that the minutes continue for him and that they hopefully increase as the year goes on.

The thing for me is just that while it would ne nice to make the playoffs and all its a first round exit almost for sure and Utah/Lakers/Clippers are just better basketball teams, obviously SVG wants to win games and the players want to win games but we also have a problem in terms of no cap space (assuming we match Hart and Lonzo's offers) and a lack of depth and ring chaser vet signing potential.

The future of the team would be in better shape moving Redick and Bledsoe and just seeing what Kira and NAW do with considerable roles and taking the mid-or-late lotto pick and using it on a great fit or trading in a great fit for it.

Kira and Lonzo are the backcourt of the future, they work so well together as far as complementing each others game, giving us flexibility with ball handlers, Kira looks to be dedicated on defense and have a knack for reading the play. Kira is not scared of the moment, I see a guy playing free when hes on the court. Just give him the reigns.

I like Bledsoe but this isnt a contending team in a bloodbath Western conference. And this team needs length and guys who can guard 1 through 4 and the bench being 4 guys 6'4" or under and Willy is just not good enough. No other team in the league does it.

Thread Information