Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: February 10th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Chicago Bulls - 11-12

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    It's simple geometry. If you have a big who can shoot the dime, it takes a big body out of the paint. Ask Giannis what Lopez means to his game,

It's really not rocket science; but okay.
    No it doesn't take rocket science. Just takes someone that watches real basketball. Adams doesnt camp out in the paint all 24 seconds. There are other threats on the floor since there are 3 more players on the court. Spacing isn't Zion's problem.

Brook Lopez wouldn't be some magical elixir that allows Zion to go dunk the ball 1 on 1 all game long. This isn't a video game full of NPCs. It's not rocket science but it's not simple simon crap either.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    No it doesn't take rocket science. Just takes someone that watches real basketball. Adams doesnt camp out in the paint all 24 seconds. There are other threats on the floor since there are 3 more players on the court. Spacing isn't Zion's problem.

Brook Lopez wouldn't be some magical elixir that allows Zion to go dunk the ball 1 on 1 all game long. This isn't a video game full of NPCs. It's not rocket science but it's not simple simon crap either.
    As opposed to someone who played real basketball?

Uncle!!! I guess removing a big defender out of the paint wouldn't matter at all. Okay, thanks for the lesson.
    Last edited by As I See It; 02-10-2021 at 10:58 PM.

As opposed to someone who played real basketball?

Uncle!!! I guess removing a big defender out of the paint wouldn't matter at all. Okay, thanks for the lesson.
    You played real ball? Bravo. I guess you're the only one here then.

And please, bring up this "we need Brook Lopez" argument after Zion scored 30 with 7 assists and they win. This argument can't be going silent until they lose a game. It disappeared recently for some reason.

Again, they gave up TWO 40 point quarters and 25 three point makes. A team record for the Bulls.

How is that not the focus here? The defense was absolutely atrocious.

Defending the 3 ball has been our biggest down fall this year.

The most 3s Colby White had taken this year was 9 and the most he made was 4.

Plays the Pelicans and throws up a career high 17 and makes 8 of them. All in one game.

Stan gotta get this fixed. Even on a b2b you can't be this god awful defensively.

Haven't watched this game yet, just woke up and checked the box score and flicked through some twitter threads. So take this comment with a huge grain of salt, I could be entirely wrong.

General consensus seems to be that the Bulls got hot from deep early and we just couldn't do anything to counter it. Which sucks, hard, but is also not the end of the world. On to the next one.
    Basketball.

I cant wait to see the starting lineup be Kira, Lonzo, BI, Zion, Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Haven't watched this game yet, just woke up and checked the box score and flicked through some twitter threads. So take this comment with a huge grain of salt, I could be entirely wrong.

General consensus seems to be that the Bulls got hot from deep early and we just couldn't do anything to counter it. Which sucks, hard, but is also not the end of the world. On to the next one.
    Yea 1st and 3rd they just couldnt miss.

Just for "S & G's"

PELICANS

Lonzo: 21 pts
    Bledsoe: 5 pts
    Kira: 14 pts
    Redick: 6 pts
    NAW: 0 Points

TOTAL: 46 Points

BULLS

LaVine: 46 Pts
    White: 30 Pts
    Satoransky: 3 Pts

Total: 79 Points

That's right, LaVine matched all our guards by himself.

Just for "S & G's"

PELICANS

BULLS

In fairness our 2 best players are forwards, and Lavine/White were the best 2 Chicago had today with Markenen out.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Lonzo scored one point after the first half?

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    I gotta give it up this game. I ain't even mad. They were snipers from downtown tonight. Some nights the other team is just on fire. Same thing happened to us in the first Phoenix game.

Get better at perimeter D and learn from it this time PLEASE.

If you think BI screwed this game up, then stop watching basketball. If anything he doesn't shoot enough. 19 shots from one of your best players is on the low end. Some nights the shots won't fall.

Defense lost this game.
    Don't talk about shot attempts please maybe you should stop watching. Your BEST player constantly gets overlooked when he has the BEST rating on the team. BI looks him off alot when he has his man pinned underneath the basket. Dude seems to be in competition with Zion not complimenting him. BI could torch the other team if he plays off Zion.

You played real ball? Bravo. I guess you're the only one here then.

And please, bring up this "we need Brook Lopez" argument after Zion scored 30 with 7 assists and they win. This argument can't be going silent until they lose a game. It disappeared recently for some reason.
    No Lopez needed. Ball movement with consistent outside shooting from guards and small forwards will open the inside like the Red Sea. But they need to play through the bigs and the bigs need to kick out when the double/triple comes.
    My teams had a offense similar to this. This has been the recipe four our success recently. It went out the window tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    I gotta give it up this game. I ain't even mad. They were snipers from downtown tonight. Some nights the other team is just on fire. Same thing happened to us in the first Phoenix game.

Get better at perimeter D and learn from it this time PLEASE.
    Now that I've had a chance to watch the game, that's largely my verdict as well.

Not saying there was nothing we could have done better, of course there was, but at the end of the day some nights Coby White (35% shooter from 3) is going to hit 8 of them and that's really not something anyone could predict or have much chance of stopping. Everything else would have had to have been perfect for us to overcome that and we are not that calibre of team yet.

Basketball Guru
    Brook Lopez wouldn't make any difference. No team is going to let Zion get 2 feet from the rim without swarming him.

Zion needs to use a short floater or jumper more often. Thats where he needs to grow his game.

its true zion need to use a jumper or floater in his game but saying a big that could stretch the floor wouldnt make a difference for zion in the paint is not true.....the last 2 games you and everyone who watch the game have seen zion have more space and get more one on one matchups when hernangomez is in the game with zion.....

in the houston game zion had a bunch of one on one matchups when hernangomez was in the game because he was drawing the houston defender from out the paint to the top of the key to guard him leaving zion in the paint one on one....yes the defense was swarming back to help but zion already had done his work and was scoring because the defenders were all pulled out on shooters....

same in last night game...hernangomez on the court with zion and he was getting some one on one matchups.....dont take my word for it..go watch the reply of the last 2 games and focus on zion and hernangomez on offense when they're in the game together and watch how easy zion life is in the paint.......

in the 3rd quarter last night stan should have taken adams out early because we all saw the bulls packing the paint and shutting the inside game down...hernangomez should have been in the game early in the 3rd to give us a chance at better matchups'by either zion getting space to get one on one or hernangomez shooting open midrange shots if the bulls would have still pack the paint if he was in the lineup....either way we would have been able to score 2s to stay in the game while the bulls were hot on 3s versus us not scoring at all in that stretch......

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    its true zion need to use a jumper or floater in his game but saying a big that could stretch the floor wouldnt make a difference for zion in the paint is not true.....the last 2 games you and everyone who watch the game have seen zion have more space and get more one on one matchups when hernangomez is in the game with zion
    Hernangomez is not a floor spacer whatsoever. Nobody cares about bigs that shoot 0.4 threes a game for their career on 31% efficiency. That creates zero spacing in terms of 3pt range. It's not like Hernangomez is an excellent guy from 18 feet either: he shoots 22.7% from 16 feet out for his career and hasn't taken a single shot from that range so far this year.

The most 3s Colby White had taken this year was 9 and the most he made was 4.

Plays the Pelicans and throws up a career high 17 and makes 8 of them. All in one game.

Stan gotta get this fixed. Even on a b2b you can't be this god awful defensively.
    Defense wasn't great, but you cannot just put this all on defense. The Bulls were just red hot. In the beginning, everything they threw up went in. Sometimes other teams get hot and play well.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Defense wasn't great, but you cannot just put this all on defense. The Bulls were just red hot. In the beginning, everything they threw up went in. Sometimes other teams get hot and play well.
    For real. We've done it to other teams as well: we spent most of this year being a garbage 3pt team and then we played Milwaukee (a top 10 defense) and hit 21 threes on them for 44% as a team. Was that cause Milwaukee is a terrible defensive team and played lazy? Nope, we just got hot and there's nothing you can do about that.

Remember that 3pt defense is mostly about deterrence: once the shot is being shot the defender has very little to do with what happens after that.

Basketball Guru
    Hernangomez is not a floor spacer whatsoever. Nobody cares about bigs that shoot 0.4 threes a game for their career on 31% efficiency. That creates zero spacing in terms of 3pt range. It's not like Hernangomez is an excellent guy from 18 feet either: he shoots 22.7% from 16 feet out for his career and hasn't taken a single shot from that range so far this year.
    i get it..i get it.....all i ask you to do is look at the last 2 games and tell me do zion have space and get one on one matchups with Hernangomez in the lineup with zion.....just look at the houston game and last night game and be honest with what you see....i dont think im wrong but all i ask you to do is be honest about what you see because im pretty sure you can post pics to prove im wrong....i dont think im asking you to do much to find the truth...

Our defense is killing Me...

Just for "S & G's"

PELICANS

BULLS

I'm kind of suprised Lavine ended the night with "just" 46 points. It seemed a lot more.

Here's a crazy stat. Despite the fact that we're playing at a slower pace this year, our opponents this season have jacked up an average of 41.4 3 pt shots a game compared to an average of 33.9 3 pt. attempts last year.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Now that I've had a chance to watch the game, that's largely my verdict as well.

Not saying there was nothing we could have done better, of course there was, but at the end of the day some nights Coby White (35% shooter from 3) is going to hit 8 of them and that's really not something anyone could predict or have much chance of stopping. Everything else would have had to have been perfect for us to overcome that and we are not that calibre of team yet.
    And, we were tired. Both games of their B2B were late tips, and we didnt fly out til 230 am after Tuesday's game. Fatigue played a role in this game. It is what it is sometimes

Thread Information