Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Thread: You guys, I think we need to pay Lonzo

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Huerter is an unequivocally better shooter and probably a better creator in the half court, as well as a better cutter and finisher. Zo is a better defender and a more lethal transition passer, while still a capable shooter. Hawks get a better fit next to Trae Young whil the Pels get a better fit next to Zion and BI, kick the can down the line on an extension, and pick up a small asset in a 2022 protected first.
    Huerter (love to have him) is a nice player with a much lower ceiling than Lonzo. So, no thanks.

There's some Huerter talk today on the TL. How would we feel about something like this:

Hawks get Lonzo, Melli, Cavs 2021 2nd

Pels get Huerter, Snell, Hawks 2022 lottery protected first
    I find it hard to believe we can get Huerter first and foremost cause they lost Bogdon for a while, and secondly, Getting Huerter AND a first round pick is very unlikely.

One person saying no thanks from the Pels perspective while the other says no thanks from the Hawks perspective makes me think it was a pretty decent trade idea

I'd trade Lonzo for Huerter fairly quickly if that deal came to us, though I don't think it's likely we'd be able to extract him Inna deal that was also bringing us in additional assets without us having to give up more as well.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I'd trade Lonzo for Huerter fairly quickly if that deal came to us, though I don't think it's likely we'd be able to extract him Inna deal that was also bringing us in additional assets without us having to give up more as well.
    Yep, we can always use his stout defense.

There's some Huerter talk today on the TL. How would we feel about something like this:

Hawks get Lonzo, Melli, Cavs 2021 2nd

Pels get Huerter, Snell, Hawks 2022 lottery protected first
    Wonder if Hawks would have any interest in Bledsoe in a similar trade without the 1st coming back from Atlanta (or the Melli throw in). With Bled shooting over 40% from 3, now seems like the time to try and find a suitor for him.

The Franchise
    If it’s true about the hawks willing to move Collins. I say go get him. A back court of Collins, Zion, and Adams could be special. Finishing the game with Zion and Collins would be nice. As long as we don’t go crazy with compensation we could still shoot for Beal. Lonzo, Melli, and Hayes for Collins, Snell, and Reddish could be close I think. We could throw in a couple seconds or a late first. Then throw the house at Beal. JJ to a third team, Bledsoe probably to a third or fourth team and 4-5 first rounders sounds good. (JJ should get you a late first back and Bledsoe could get us at least a couple seconds. We have 2 lakers first and 2 bucks picks or we can throw in a couple of our and keep a couple from lakers/bucks)

Kira
    Beal, NAW
    BI, Hart
    Zion, Reddish
    Collins, Adams

https://tradenba.com/trades/rCfpdi7tn
    Last edited by tdcreator; 02-12-2021 at 08:14 PM.

Wrong thread
    Last edited by Taker597; 02-12-2021 at 08:01 PM.

1. Dallas shooting 54% from three with volume.

2. JJ should not see the court again until he's traded.

3. I would play NAW tonight; his defense is sorely needed.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Wrong thread
    Talk was Lonzo for Heuter. I think it should be for Collins

When we have to constantly change out tune on how Lonzo plays I say no. We have too many of those players on the team now.

LOL so we back off keeping Lonzo again?

“He’s a phenomenal connective tissue player, but he doesn’t stir the drink. New Orleans might be the spot, but the Pelicans shouldn’t necessarily be revamping its roster to make Ball work; rather, the players in Ball’s position should be working to help Ingram and Zion.“

An incredibly accurate quote from the new Sam Vecenie article in which he ranked Lonzo as the 33rd prospect in the NBA. The prospect list includes only players on rookie contracts, for the most part.

For context, he has Lonzo behind Derrick White, Coby White, and Darius Garland. In front of Onyeka Okongwu, Brandon Clarke, and PJ Washington. Personally, even though Im not the biggest Zo guy, I think he’s too low on the list. Vecenie seems to value pure scoring and star potential over role player, solid starter guys. I guess thats fair since its a prospect list

“He’s a phenomenal connective tissue player, but he doesn’t stir the drink. New Orleans might be the spot, but the Pelicans shouldn’t necessarily be revamping its roster to make Ball work; rather, the players in Ball’s position should be working to help Ingram and Zion.“

An incredibly accurate quote from the new Sam Vecenie article in which he ranked Lonzo as the 33rd prospect in the NBA. The prospect list includes only players on rookie contracts, for the most part.

For context, he has Lonzo behind Derrick White, Coby White, and Darius Garland. In front of Onyeka Okongwu, Brandon Clarke, and PJ Washington. Personally, even though Im not the biggest Zo guy, I think he’s too low on the list. Vecenie seems to value pure scoring and star potential over role player, solid starter guys. I guess thats fair since its a prospect list
    I think it depends how far behind those people he is [I have not read Vecenie's article]. I think there's a strong argument, for example, for putting him behind Garland and potentially even C. White, but not by like 10+ spots or anything.

I also think if we're using the logic you mention, that ranks guys according to ceiling since we're talking about prospects rather than where they are right now, PJ Washington would be better.

That said, I don't really see much argument for Derrick White being better than Lonzo.

Okongwu, the jury is kind of out on because he's barely played and had a serious foot/ankle injury so it's very hard to judge.

I do agree that the quotation is good though. Plenty of people have said it as well: his best work is always in the roleplayer position, and as a result that means that even if he's a good roleplayer he's always expendable in the search for better.

In today's NBA though, role players are getting big bucks. Look at Harris, Bogdanovic, and to some extent, Gallinari and Anunoby. Those are all pretty big contracts and the argument could be made that they are all role players.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    In today's NBA though, role players are getting big bucks. Look at Harris, Bogdanovic, and to some extent, Gallinari and Anunoby. Those are all pretty big contracts and the argument could be made that they are all role players.
    They're all also substantially better at their jobs than Lonzo Ball is.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Y'all gonna see Lonzo become a top guard in this league and you'll be kicking yourselves for wanting to trade him in the first place. He keeps progressing every season, and he's still young.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Y'all gonna see Lonzo become a top guard in this league and you'll be kicking yourselves for wanting to trade him in the first place. He keeps progressing every season, and he's still young.
    Yeah I heard he was the next Magic Johnson. Steph Curry with a 40 inch vertical. Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Pretty sure no one minds being wrong, because that means he'll actually be good.

Pretty sure no one minds being wrong, because that means he'll actually be good.
    It's the same thing as Ingram.

Everyone remembers that I was very very negative about him when we traded for him, but I said the moment he was on the team that I hope everyone else is right and I'm wrong because he's on this roster now. I was wrong, Ingram took huge improvements, and you know what? That's a good thing: happy to have been wrong.

It's the same with Lonzo. If he decides to become great all of a sudden, awesome!

Everyone remembers that I was very very negative about him when we traded for him, but I said the moment he was on the team that I hope everyone else is right and I'm wrong because he's on this roster now. I was wrong, Ingram took huge improvements, and you know what? That's a good thing: happy to have been wrong.

It's the same with Lonzo. If he decides to become great all of a sudden, awesome!
    Well, Ingram is really different. He came in day one being a completely different player. Lonzo is an absurd high/low player. He has a tendency to be really low when you need him the most. So, It's gonna take us a lot longer to really trust him..

Like the moment he starts playing well in last February. Then, he follows it up in the bubble as Worst player in the bubble. He simply plays decent to start the season and we praise him. Then, he has like the worst ten game run of his career. Then, we almost claw back to 0.500. He falls off a cliff again.

His play probably cost us a chance in the play in tournament, and about 5 games in his WOAT run.

I already got burned twice praising Lonzo. I'm pretty much done till he can do it for a whole year and when we need it the most.

I'm not just talking about scoring either. It's his whole game.

...but still very quick to point out every misstep he makes, while virtually ignoring multiple missteps by another.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    There is a cult-like mindset about trading him for scraps. Not saying you specifically are apart of that.

I love being wrong on players too. But this team is still rebuilding, and Lonzo is supposed to be a key figure of this rebuild. Sorry, but I'm not giving up on a 23 year old with extremely high upside, and someone who keeps improving so soon.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    It's way more likely to me that we end up keeping Lonzo than not. So I really do hope he fixes the broken parts of his game or the team evolves to where his inability to play on ball in late moments is irrelevant because Zion will be the one doing the heavy lifting and all Lonzo has to do is catch and shoot.

Lonzo has absolutely improved in every way besides defense this season, but I’m more than happy to take that trade off for him driving to the basket more and actually hitting free throws. This teams needs a 3 and D. Lonzo looks like he can be a 3 and D, but with amazing passing and creative ability. That’s rare. And he’s young. He’s gonna keep getting better

Thread Information