Pelicans Report

Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast

Thread: You guys, I think we need to pay Lonzo

How much do you guys think he wants this off-season and how much do you think he realistically gets?

Quote Originally Posted by akhan786 View Post
    How much do you guys think he wants this off-season and how much do you think he realistically gets?
    How much does he want? A max

How much do I think he'll realistically get? I can see someone like Chicago or New York offering him $20m or more, honestly. I doubt anyone will go full max but I would not be remotely surprised if Chicago double down on their ''we need to win'' thing since trading for Vucevic and go big on a guy we know they've had interest in before.
    Basketball.

Only 10 more pages of this until Lonzo gets paid.

An interesting article. It doesn't move the needle for me, but I do find "Bullet Point 2" very interesting.

https://clutchpoints.com/lonzo-ball-...n-lamelo-ball/

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    An interesting article. It doesn't move the needle for me, but I do find "Bullet Point 2" very interesting.

https://clutchpoints.com/lonzo-ball-...n-lamelo-ball/
    That article's 2nd point is not making the point it thinks it's making.

If Lonzo continues to come out with aggression on the defensive end, it will only be a matter of time until we see the eldest Ball brother get selected to an All-NBA defensive team in the future
    They say the above, and their evidence for it is this:

Aside from his shooting which needs more improvement, Lonzo has already shown his potential to be a great defender in the league in recent seasons. In fact, he has been listed as the top defender taking on the toughest assignments on the floor this season, per BBall Index.

Throughout their games in the 2020-21 season, Lonzo Ball has been regularly tasked to guard the opposing scorer with the likes of Damian Lillard, Stephen Curry, Devin Booker, and Donovan Mitchell, among others. The defensive awareness that he possesses has already sparked many runs for the Pelicans and helped them win a handful of tight games thus far.
    This is not good news for Lonzo. He has been regularly tasked to guard those guys and he has been regularly shredded by them all, at rates of volume and efficiency far above their season averages, the entire year long. He gets tough assignments, sure, but just getting those assignments alone is not good enough: the reality is that when he gets them, this does not bother the offensive player. In terms of his actual on-court defensive output, he has spent significant portions of this season looking far worse than he has in past seasons.

He still makes a defensive impact in metric stats because he does rack up a good number of steals and deflections, which obviously are good, but a lot of these come off-ball and therefore don't actually link into the ''he defends Lillard'' point: he's not taking those guys on 1v1 and picking their pocket, he's getting his stuff in elsewhere. Which is still fine, those off-ball steals are valuable, but they don't support the idea that he himself is some kind of elite defender for taking on these matchups. The less said about the final comment regarding close games (several of which have seen him absolutely vanish entirely) the better; we do not win those games, by and large.

This kind of incoherent, incomplete thinking is evident in their next point in the same article as well: their third point for why Lonzo will have a better career than LaMelo is

Lonzo Ball has been on a tear lately as he recorded impressive stat lines to start the month of May heading to the latter stages of the regular season. On May 1 against the Minnesota Timberwolves, he notched 33 points on eight three-pointers made along with 11 rebounds and eight assists.
    Which is like... uh... again, not the point they think they're making. They do, to their credit, mention that he is inconsistent, but this is precisely why the point they're making doesn't matter. He had a hot February as well, only to collapse for much of April. He had a hot February last season, only to collapse through the end of the year and the bubble. The inconsistency is the point, nobody has ever said he's incapable of having a good game on an individual night; that's not the issue.

Will he have a better career than LaMelo? Maybe, careers aren't defined by upside alone, nor by individual talent (#ringzzz, you know the deal) but thus far LaMelo has shown more in his rookie year than Lonzo has his entire career.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post

BI and Zion are basically the best, if not one of the top 2 or 3 duo guys in the league.
    lmao....no.

If we had the best(or in that conversation) duo in the league, we wouldn't have the record we do.

Can you have the best duo in the league and not be the top team in the league? Or even one of the top 5?

Of course....

but when you have our record, you simply can't make the argument that we have the best duo in the league. Denver, Milwaukee, both LA teams have clearly better duos....and the list doesn't stop there.

Quote Originally Posted by tacosman View Post
    lmao....no.

If we had the best(or in that conversation) duo in the league, we wouldn't have the record we do.

Can you have the best duo in the league and not be the top team in the league? Or even one of the top 5?

Of course....

but when you have our record, you simply can't make the argument that we have the best duo in the league. Denver, Milwaukee, both LA teams have clearly better duos....and the list doesn't stop there.
    Yeah, I'm souring on BI a lot

He's just so slow and clanks a lot

Yeah, I'm souring on BI a lot

He's just so slow and clanks a lot
    Offensively I think he's good. He's not the number one option on a good team, and on an elite team he might be the third option, but he's very good.

Defensively he's flat out one of the worst defenders in the NBA.

People like to rag on Zion's defense, and it definitely has room to improve, but when you look at Ingram, there's no comparison in the results.

Stat Zion Williamson Brandon Ingram
    D-BPM -0.4 (96th in NBA) -1.4 (157th in NBA)
    D-LEBRON -0.56 (376th in NBA) -0.86 (433rd in NBA)
    D-EPM +0.5 (126th in NBA) -1.6 (420th in NBA)
    D-RAPTOR -0.8 (165th in NBA) -2.3 (226th in NBA)

Just by every metric, Ingram is a dreadful, dreadful defensive player.

1. Yes agreed Lonzo has guarded the top players, and also got shredded by them so instead of being a 3 and D, this year he’s been a 3pt ace, that’s about it.

2. Ingrams D is bad but he’s still only 23 so still room to improve but not holding my breath. On the other hand he’s absolutely amazing offensively, people who disagree with that are flat out wrong. He can get his own shot anywhere, and is good off ball and shoots a high percentage from the field, 3, and the stripe.

Says this team is heading right direction? Won’t pay Lonzo? Which one is it?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Says this team is heading right direction? Won’t pay Lonzo? Which one is it?
    Rather apply Lonzo money elsewhere and try and develop NAW and Kira, and probably the rookie we draft this year will also be a guard

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Rather apply Lonzo money elsewhere and try and develop NAW and Kira, and probably the rookie we draft this year will also be a guard
    But if you don’t play defense, don’t coach defense it will be the same ol ******** next season too.

Who cares ? Right ! As long as they are developing. Lol. We are a learning team . What did we learn on defense this season?

How can you trade for a very good player ? You have to send some picks and some salary. It?s better if the player with high salary still has some upside and IMO Lonzo fits that. That?s why IMO it?s better for the team to keep Lonzo even if they have to overpay

Do we live in a Universe where Lonzo spends all of his time on driving to the rim, finishing through contact and making some nice Lamelo type passes in the heart of the defense?

He's so quick. He has the ability to get a better handle. I think it's a possibility

I wouldn't bet on it though

Do we live in a Universe where Lonzo spends all of his time on driving to the rim, finishing through contact and making some nice Lamelo type passes in the heart of the defense?

He's so quick. He has the ability to get a better handle. I think it's a possibility
    Don’t think he has the mindset to do that, nor do we really need him to. Zion and Ingram should give us all the iso ball, facilitating, and driving to the rim that we need. What we need are elite shooters and defenders. Keep it simple, spread the floor, let Zion and Ingram score, stop other team from scoring.

Don’t think he has the mindset to do that, nor do we really need him to. Zion and Ingram should give us all the iso ball, facilitating, and driving to the rim that we need. What we need are elite shooters and defenders. Keep it simple, spread the floor, let Zion and Ingram score, stop other team from scoring.
    Zion and Ingram don't share the court 100% of the time.

You need your guards to be able to attack the rim. Everyone needs to be able to attack the rim.

If you're a pretty speedy 6 foot 6 guard who thinks he's a point, you best be charging at dat rim

You need your guards to be able to attack the rim. Everyone needs to be able to attack the rim.

If you're a pretty speedy 6 foot 6 guard who thinks he's a point, you best be charging at dat rim
    Fair enough

Totally agree; a 6'6'' guard should be an asset when operating in the paint (driving and posting up)...not a liability.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Totally agree; a 6'6'' guard should be an asset when operating in the paint (driving and posting up)...not a liability.
    Yep

1. Yes agreed Lonzo has guarded the top players, and also got shredded by them so instead of being a 3 and D, this year he’s been a 3pt ace, that’s about it.

2. Ingrams D is bad but he’s still only 23 so still room to improve but not holding my breath. On the other hand he’s absolutely amazing offensively, people who disagree with that are flat out wrong. He can get his own shot anywhere, and is good off ball and shoots a high percentage from the field, 3, and the stripe.
    Ingram doesn't have the strength, speed, or footwork to match up defensively with his own position on most nights.

Unless it comes out of his mouth of his off season plans... I really wouldn’t put stock in him pulling off a physical evolution to do it.

We all want him to transform overnight into Kawhi, but it's most likely he'll end up as a slower KD that never became a solid defender

I wouldn't bet on it though
    On paper, Lonzo has all of the tools to be a really special point guard. He's 6'6 with a positive wingspan, broad shouldered, fast in a straight line, has a positive vertical that doesn't need a huge amount of time to load up. He's pretty strong as well.

None of that translates into anything on the offensive end.

This year was his career high at FG% at the rim. He shot 62.6% in the restricted area: this is still below league average. And he only did it on 15% of his shots.

Lonzo took 107 shots at the rim this season, total, in 55 games. Monte Morris, who played about 600 fewer minutes total and in only 47 games took 91 shots at the rim this year: Monte Morris is 6'2 with no vertical. 1.94 shots at the rim per game for Lonzo, 1.94 shots at the rim per game for Morris, despite Lonzo averaging 7 more minutes a game.

Zero threat at the rim. He plays a legit 4 or 5 inches shorter than he is.

I also want to add a question; does he have the ability to get a better handle? Sure, maybe a little, but how many guys have ever gone from having poor-to-mediocre handles to having elite handles at any point in their career? It's actually one of the less common things for guys to improve. It does happen, but it's super rare in comparison to other skills.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Damn you, Ainge.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    On paper, Lonzo has all of the tools to be a really special point guard. He's 6'6 with a positive wingspan, broad shouldered, fast in a straight line, has a positive vertical that doesn't need a huge amount of time to load up. He's pretty strong as well.

None of that translates into anything on the offensive end.

This year was his career high at FG% at the rim. He shot 62.6% in the restricted area: this is still below league average. And he only did it on 15% of his shots.

Lonzo took 107 shots at the rim this season, total, in 55 games. Monte Morris, who played about 600 fewer minutes total and in only 47 games took 91 shots at the rim this year: Monte Morris is 6'2 with no vertical. 1.94 shots at the rim per game for Lonzo, 1.94 shots at the rim per game for Morris, despite Lonzo averaging 7 more minutes a game.

Zero threat at the rim. He plays a legit 4 or 5 inches shorter than he is.

I also want to add a question; does he have the ability to get a better handle? Sure, maybe a little, but how many guys have ever gone from having poor-to-mediocre handles to having elite handles at any point in their career? It's actually one of the less common things for guys to improve. It does happen, but it's super rare in comparison to other skills.
    One of the most important traits that a player can have is the mental acuity to understand that you need to drive when your threes or jumpers are not falling. Lonzo has the OPPOSITE of this. He thinks that you should keep shooting threes no matter what and never, ever drive.

It's much easier to practice 3's than it is to practice driving to the rim through traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Offensively I think he's good. He's not the number one option on a good team, and on an elite team he might be the third option, but he's very good.

Defensively he's flat out one of the worst defenders in the NBA.

People like to rag on Zion's defense, and it definitely has room to improve, but when you look at Ingram, there's no comparison in the results.

Stat Zion Williamson Brandon Ingram
    D-BPM -0.4 (96th in NBA) -1.4 (157th in NBA)
    D-LEBRON -0.56 (376th in NBA) -0.86 (433rd in NBA)
    D-EPM +0.5 (126th in NBA) -1.6 (420th in NBA)
    D-RAPTOR -0.8 (165th in NBA) -2.3 (226th in NBA)

Just by every metric, Ingram is a dreadful, dreadful defensive player.
    BI could be better on defense he doesn't put in the effort. His stance is always upright he never gets low. Zion is not great on defense but at least he tries.

Thread Information