Pelicans Report

Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread: You guys, I think we need to pay Lonzo

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    4 years for $72 mil? I guess I could accept that. I'd still wanna be more in the mid $60 mils. But a milli or two extra per year isn't gonna change my mood much.

Ain't my money. I just want the Pels to stay as flexible as possible for the betterment of the squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    4 years for $72 mil? I guess I could accept that. I'd still wanna be more in the mid $60 mils. But a milli or two extra per year isn't gonna change my mood much.

Ain't my money. I just want the Pels to stay as flexible as possible for the betterment of the squad.
    18 mil a year for Lonzo is a good deal, only thing though, is it a fit? I just think Kira is the future PG and naw doesn’t play well off the bench, but neither does Lonzo. If Lonzo was a center id say do it, but I think sign and trade is what we need to do

A good exercise is to go to basketball reference or your favorite site and look at all player contracts. You start to realize really quickly that if a guy is a sure fire starter, locked up for more than another year or so (and is not on rookie deal), you are gonna pay at least 17, usually way more. There are outliers like Covington who got a raise and a bargain extension, but you will be hard pressed to find me 5 sure fire starters locked up for 3 or more years at a lower rate than what I think Lonzo could land at.

Which means he should be tradable for positive, or at least neutral, value throughout that deal. When you get over 20, it gets iffy unless his little hot stretches become his norm
    @mcnamara247

I think we will be paying him, or doing a sign and trade where we recoup 30 draft picks.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    18 mil a year for Lonzo is a good deal, only thing though, is it a fit? I just think Kira is the future PG and naw doesn’t play well off the bench, but neither does Lonzo. If Lonzo was a center id say do it, but I think sign and trade is what we need to do
    I wouldn't call it a good deal, I'd call it about what you'd expect to pay. A good deal is when you get someone for less than you expect, imo.

Personally, $18m a year is the very top end of what I'd be interested in offering. S&T is obviously a possibility if another team wants to pay him that or more but those are always rare
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I wouldn't call it a good deal, I'd call it about what you'd expect to pay. A good deal is when you get someone for less than you expect, imo.

Personally, $18m a year is the very top end of what I'd be interested in offering. S&T is obviously a possibility if another team wants to pay him that or more but those are always rare
    It’s a good deal because Lonzo is gonna get 20+ a year somewhere, I think no way we get him for less than 20, which is why I think 18 would be a good deal

It only takes one team to need or want Lonzo that much.

It only takes one team to need or want Lonzo that much.
    This argument is factual but also lazy IMO. Because you cant really refute it and it can apply to everyone. And every fan base is making it right now about 1 or 2 guys they are worried about losing or overpaying

I’m not sure what Zo has shown anyone that he won’t live up to whatever contract he is given, and if he rolls on, you are left with BI and magic beans from the AD trade? I’m not basing the AD trade as the reason to keep Zo (you made the deal, it’s over, he is a sink cost now), I’m simply implying that it’s extremely pathetic that you trade for a guy, develop him, and then let him walk for fear that the money might be better spent elsewhere. Might as well quit fighting the “Poverty Franchise” tag at that point.

It’s a good deal because Lonzo is gonna get 20+ a year somewhere, I think no way we get him for less than 20, which is why I think 18 would be a good deal
    Then that's a bad deal.

If you're trying to buy a used car that's 50 minutes away from exploding and the price tag is $10k, it isn't suddenly a good deal just because someone else is willing to pay $11k, is it?

That's not to say that Lonzo is about to explode, but you get the idea: overpaying doesn't suddenly become cheap just because someone else can be tricked into overpaying even more dramatically.

Then that's a bad deal.

If you're trying to buy a used car that's 50 minutes away from exploding and the price tag is $10k, it isn't suddenly a good deal just because someone else is willing to pay $11k, is it?

That's not to say that Lonzo is about to explode, but you get the idea: overpaying doesn't suddenly become cheap just because someone else can be tricked into overpaying even more dramatically.
    Your words were it?s a good deal when you pay less than you ?expect? not less than the value.

So by your definition of a good deal if I expect to have to pay him 20 but get him for 18 it?s a good deal. Once again, your words not mine

Your words were it?s a good deal when you pay less than you ?expect? not less than the value.

So by your definition of a good deal if I expect to have to pay him 20 but get him for 18 it?s a good deal. Once again, your words not mine
    If $18m is the top end of what I would be willing to pay, it's not good value. It's literally the maximum I could stomach. A contract negotiation is a haggle: if you are forced into paying the maximum that you can manage before giving in, that was not a good negotiation and you didn't get good value, you got put over a barrel and forced to pay out.

If Lonzo is worth $18m a year (for the sake of argument) then paying him $18m a year is not ''good value'' just because someone else would have paid him $20m a year; it's just plain old default asking price. Now, if someone is worth $18m a year and you get them for $15m a year, then that's good value, because you got something for less than their market going. So that's a deal.

It's not called ''getting a deal'' if you get something for the going rate, it's just called buying.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    This argument is factual but also lazy IMO. Because you cant really refute it and it can apply to everyone. And every fan base is making it right now about 1 or 2 guys they are worried about losing or overpaying
    I get that. With me, if some team out there wants to flip $20 mil at him, then they can have him. It's not a worry for me. What keeps us flexible. What keeps us from Eric Gordoning or Omer Asiking the situation where we've buried ourselves under him. That is my boogeyman.

If $18m is the top end of what I would be willing to pay, it's not good value. It's literally the maximum I could stomach. A contract negotiation is a haggle: if you are forced into paying the maximum that you can manage before giving in, that was not a good negotiation and you didn't get good value, you got put over a barrel and forced to pay out.

If Lonzo is worth $18m a year (for the sake of argument) then paying him $18m a year is not ''good value'' just because someone else would have paid him $20m a year; it's just plain old default asking price. Now, if someone is worth $18m a year and you get them for $15m a year, then that's good value, because you got something for less than their market going. So that's a deal.

It's not called ''getting a deal'' if you get something for the going rate, it's just called buying.
    Dude, I know what the definition of a good deal is, it’s obviously when you get something for less than it’s value. But you didn’t say that, you said a good deal is when you get something for less than you expect to pay for it. Idk why you’re explaining what a good deal is to me, I understand the logic of how it works lmao, I’m in sales.

Lonzo will get 20mil per year and it will be worth it

LMAO!!

Even if this was true, that wasn't the full thrust of the deal. Surely we were trying to include Adams and maybe get Wiseman back in the exchange.

But again...this isn't true. I refuse to believe it.

Even if this was true, that wasn't the full thrust of the deal. Surely we were trying to include Adams and maybe get Wiseman back in the exchange.

But again...this isn't true. I refuse to believe it.
    We wouldve done Lonzo for Oubre straight up. Warriors wanted a 2nd rounder, we said no

But this was at the beginning of the year. After negotiations didnt go well. After a bad bubble and bad start. But no, we didnt offer Lonzo and a pick

Gotta love some Lonzo stan trying to say I don't watch our games when I said Lonzo had no mid range game and didn't attack the basket. I can't fathom how one gets that delusional.

Gotta love some Lonzo stan trying to say I don't watch our games when I said Lonzo had no mid range game and didn't attack the basket. I can't fathom how one gets that delusional.
    There's a shockingly large number of people out there who don't actually watch much basketball but think they know the ins and outs of every player, it's kinda wild.

No. Lonzo is the Pelicans best playmaker and Stan doing him wrong trying to turn him to a 3 & D. He need to leave that trash organization.

As a side note, Lonzo's injury history surely has to factor into big money extension talk, right?

Rookie season: missed 31 games
    Sophomore season: missed 35 games
    Third season: missed 19 games
    This season so far: missed 11 games (20+ games left to play)

He's played 203 total games out of a potential 297. He's missed nearly a third of his career so far due to injury.

As a side note, Lonzo's injury history surely has to factor into big money extension talk, right?

Rookie season: missed 31 games
    Sophomore season: missed 35 games
    Third season: missed 19 games
    This season so far: missed 11 games (20+ games left to play)

He's played 203 total games out of a potential 297. He's missed nearly a third of his career so far due to injury.
    I am a Lonzo supporter but I agree with this. All these missing games are concerning

I have a question to all of you who don’t want Lonzo on this team (or are not willing to pay more than 18). Would you like Ben Simmons on this team? He makes around 33mil. Is he that much better than Lonzo?

Thread Information