Pelicans Report

Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Thread: You guys, I think we need to pay Lonzo

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    This is what I’m talking about

Perk is an idiot.

Lonzo is a restricted free agent, just like every un-extended player at the end of their rookie deal. We can match any offer.

Whether we would want to, or whether we should, are different questions - but we can.
    Basketball.

I think we'll be happy we didn't trade him. His Dad is going to say random stuff to try and up his pay day (like 'Oh Lonzo can do so much more its the Pels making him look bad') but thats all just LeVar being LaVar. I think NBA front offices will know Lonzo's limits are pretty evident now and not overspend on a guy whos best case scenario is 3rd option.

20mil a year is likely the offer we'll match, IMO.

Ball is in the midst of a career-best season (14.2 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 5.6 apg, 1.3 spg) and had his name bandied about in trade talks. However, he will not be dealt, per Wojnarowski, and is an unrestricted free agent this summer.
    Quality reporting from NBA.com

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    This is what I?m talking about

Perk is the biggest dumbass in the media

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    I think we'll be happy we didn't trade him. His Dad is going to say random stuff to try and up his pay day (like 'Oh Lonzo can do so much more its the Pels making him look bad') but thats all just LeVar being LaVar. I think NBA front offices will know Lonzo's limits are pretty evident now and not overspend on a guy whos best case scenario is 3rd option.

20mil a year is likely the offer we'll match, IMO.
    This entire post is internally contradictory.

''I think NBA front offices will know Lonzo's limits are pretty evident and not overspend...

anyway we're gonna pay him $20m a year, probably''

...what? $20m a year is an overspend.

What is Griff's plan?

A. Does he think we're the front runner to sign him for about 20 mil

B. Prepared to meet any offer sheet for him

C. Prepared to not meet any offer sheet and let him walk for nothing

D. Not trade him as some sort of signal to the rest of the league before the deadline

E. Sign and trade post season

Am I missing one?

Do we have any control over Lonzo now that trade period is over, outside of RFA matching rights?
    Last edited by AusPel; 03-26-2021 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    What is Griff's plan?

A. Does he think we're the front runner to sign him for about 20 mil

B. Prepared to meet any offer sheet for him

C. Prepared to not meet any offer sheet and let him walk for nothing

D. Not trade him as some sort of signal to the rest of the league before the deadline

E. Sign and trade post season

Am I missing one?

Do we have any control over Lonzo now that trade period is over, outside of RFA matching rights?
    I think those are all of the options, yeah.

And no, we have absolutely zero control over Lonzo now outside of matching rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I think those are all of the options, yeah.

And no, we have absolutely zero control over Lonzo now outside of matching rights.
    That is pretty much the only control. We do have additional time to negotiate with him prior to free agency though.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    That is pretty much the only control. We do have additional time to negotiate with him prior to free agency though.
    At this point he knows we were shopping him hard, if he's anything like Lavar, he's gonna be spiteful and sign an outrageous offer sheet that we ain't matching then we'll have to try our luck in FA. Which I'm not too depressed about honestly. Let the Knicks or whoever offer him 25M to be average. Or being generous, above average.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar

We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post

We'll see.
    If it?s a case of ?I?ll sign a reasonablish offer? (aka not the 28 mil the Knicks could offer), then okay. I at least can appreciate that Lonzo was upfront with us. I do think Lonzo likes being out of the spotlight and away from his father, so I can see that being true to an extent. I think the best case scenario will be a heavily frontloaded contract that decreases by the time Zion is reaching his next contract year. I don?t think we let him walk for better or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    At this point he knows we were shopping him hard, if he's anything like Lavar, he's gonna be spiteful and sign an outrageous offer sheet that we ain't matching then we'll have to try our luck in FA. Which I'm not too depressed about honestly. Let the Knicks or whoever offer him 25M to be average. Or being generous, above average.
    It would have to take another team wanting to sign him to an outrageous offer sheet for that to happen. At that point, it would not be for spite, but for financial reasons.

Lonzo is nothing like LaVar to be fair to him.

We'll see.
    Yup, we'll see. I'm not a Debbie downer.... But if his price is gonna cap restrict us?... Nah bruh

15m to 18m is reasonable to me

We'll see.
    Yeah, it's a meaningless statement.

We'll see how much he wants to be here when NY is offering him $25m a year and we don't want to match that high.

I'm not convinced that Ingram is a long term piece.
    He just doesn't understand that this is Zions team.
    1 thing about Ball is that he understands this and maybe he is the better long term fit.

Maybe Griff matches Ball and then flips one of Bi or Ball before Zions extension.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    That’s an interesting take.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    1 thing about Ball is that he understands this and maybe he is the better long term fit.

Maybe Griff matches Ball and then flips one of Bi or Ball before Zions extension.
    Little dramatic aye?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whoa bruh lol. Lets just see how these next couple of seasons unfold first.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    Little dramatic aye?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Why?
    What has Ingram shown when games matter?
    I'm not talking about just last game I'm talking about letting the ball run through your best player.

Ingram still believes he is on par with Zion.
    I hope I'm wrong, but need to seen this soon.

whoa bruh lol. Lets just see how these next couple of seasons unfold first.
    So 3.5 seaons?
    Yeah ok

So 3.5 seaons?
    Yeah ok
    allow me to correct myself, I really meant the rest of this season and next season before we jump on the Trade Ingram train

allow me to correct myself, I really meant the rest of this season and next season before we jump on the Trade Ingram train
    Yes agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Yeah, it's a meaningless statement.

We'll see how much he wants to be here when NY is offering him $25m a year and we don't want to match that high.
    He didn't say he wanted to be here and willing to take less money to do so. How many players in RFA can you say that about?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    He didn't say he wanted to be here and willing to take less money to do so. How many players in RFA can you say that about?
    Not many, but that's kind of my point. I don't really put much stock in players saying they want to be here in the middle of a season; what matters is whether their desire to be here outweighs their desire for more cash. The answer is very rarely yes.

Thread Information