Pelicans Report

Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 ... LastLast

Thread: You guys, I think we need to pay Lonzo

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Yes I'm aware it's all very small sample size right now. As is your example of him being ''bulldozed regularly in the lane'': he's played fewer than 500 minutes over halfway into the season, of course everything is small sample size.

I agree that he needs to show more at the NBA level before he can be ''anointed'' but there's a difference between ''anointing'' someone and just pointing out that their flashes have been very promising thus far and indicate a high potential ceiling.
    So, you think a career total of 2 blocks before last night is similar to watching him get manhandled in the lane on a regular basis? Doubt you will find anyone who is not concerned about his size. Personally, I think that is all that is holding him back from reaching a nice potential. That is why I look forward to the offseason to see how dedicated he is to adding muscle (hopefully moreso than Hayes).

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    So, you think a career total of 2 blocks before last night is similar to watching him get manhandled in the lane on a regular basis? Doubt you will find anyone who is not concerned about his size. Personally, I think that is all that is holding him back from reaching a nice potential. That is why I look forward to the offseason to see how dedicated he is to adding muscle (hopefully moreso than Hayes).
    Obviously everyone knows he needs to add strength. There are very very few 19 year olds who join the league that don't need to add strength, particularly core strength. The fact that this is the case for Kira is about as noteworthy as the tides.
    Basketball.

Obviously everyone knows he needs to add strength. There are very very few 19 year olds who join the league that don't need to add strength, particularly core strength. The fact that this is the case for Kira is about as noteworthy as the tides.
    Hoping he can do it without losing speed as he is probably one of the smallest guards in the league.

Not worried about his size and strength in the least. He’s plenty tall enough and will put on some pounds and get stronger in time.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Hoping he can do it without losing speed as he is probably one of the smallest guards in the league.
    What are we paying Aaron Nelson for but to do exactly that? He's already helped change Jaxson Hayes from skinny twig boy who can't complete dunks and shots around the basket when you so much as breathe on him, to invasion of the body catcher night in and night out...who is still kinda skinny but less so.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    What are we paying Aaron Nelson for but to do exactly that? He's already helped change Jaxson Hayes from skinny twig boy who can't complete dunks and shots around the basket when you so much as breathe on him, to invasion of the body catcher night in and night out...who is still kinda skinny but less so.
    The priority isn't necessarily weight (though weight often comes as a side effect of it) it's just strength.

Stephen Curry didn't suddenly bulk up and become a heavyweight, and he's still listed at 185lbs, but around 2014/15 he really improved his core strength and his finishing in the lane, his stability on those super long range jumpers, and his ability to carve out space in the paint all massively improved. To look at, he didn't look that much different, but in his first 4 years he shot under 60% at the rim 3 times and under 38% from floater range 3 times. Since 2014/15, he's never shot worse than 61.6% at the rim (averaged 66.2% at the rim since 2015) and never shot worse than 40% from floater range (averaged 45.8% from there since 2015).

That's what Kira needs. Doesn't need to put on 45lbs and suddenly be build like Marcus Smart, but he needs to work on his core strength a lot; weight may well come with that, but it shouldn't be the priority.

Too early to tell. I really like what I see in Kira, but he desperately needs to add some muscle. Too easy for teams to bully him on the defensive end.

yeah.... muscle and a competent left hand. He should get better with it but gosh, Ive been seeing teams totally playing his right giving him the left and he doesn't go

Somebody on Facebook made a good point "why every team that's interested in Lonzo are teams that's in playoff contention" we need to keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by stevemadden504 View Post
    Somebody on Facebook made a good point "why every team that's interested in Lonzo are teams that's in playoff contention" we need to keep him.
    Team needs and priorities are different depending on what they already have.

If you already have 3, 4 high end talents and you're trying to fill out the roster with supplementary pieces, then yeah Lonzo is great.

If you're still trying to find your core and you have a roster that's only about 5 real NBA rotation players deep, Lonzo is great only if he's cheap.

This is the Andre Iguodala question. Why was he worth so much to Golden State but worth essentially nothing to Memphis?

The answer is that Golden State already had all of the heavy lifters on offense, already had facilitators and scorers, already had elite team defenders and a strong defensive backline, already had leadership; all it needed was the Ultimate Glue guy and defender. So Iguodala was great. Then he went to Memphis which was a team in a rebuild that didn't have all of those pieces and he was useless to them.

Lonzo is similar. He's a great 5th or 6th guy to slot in to an already good lineup to boost them with connective passing and defense: that's why already good teams want him. He's not a guy that you pledge $20m+ to in the hopes that he'll be your 3rd Star. Totally different sort of player.

In any case, not every team that's interested in Lonzo is in playoff contention anyway: outside of NYK probably the team that's showed the most smoke recently has been Chicago and they're the 10th seed in the East

Lakers want Lonzo back? Clipps offering us Lou Williams?

Quote Originally Posted by stevemadden504 View Post
    They’re already good. He isn’t making a not playoff contender a contender.

Case in point...

Lonzo is similar. He's a great 5th or 6th guy to slot in to an already good lineup to boost them with connective passing and defense: that's why already good teams want him. He's not a guy that you pledge $20m+ to in the hopes that he'll be your 3rd Star. Totally different sort of player.
    5th or 6th? Come on, at least be serious. If you truly believe that, then we can expect that he will not get offers over $12-$14 million a year in free agency. So, we should be fine keep him then, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    They’re already good. He isn’t making a not playoff contender a contender.

Case in point...
    Bulls and Knicks believe that he will boost them into a playoff team.

5th or 6th? Come on, at least be serious. If you truly believe that, then we can expect that he will not get offers over $12-$14 million a year in free agency. So, we should be fine keep him then, right?
    If Lonzo is the third best player on your roster, you aren't a championship contender. That's just the reality of it. If he's your 5th best player, you probably are.

If Lonzo is the third best player on your roster, you aren't a championship contender. That's just the reality of it. If he's your 5th best player, you probably are.
    But if he is the 5th best, he certainly is not getting $20 million a year, right?

But if he is the 5th best, he certainly is not getting $20 million a year, right?
    Gary Harris is currently being paid $20m a year and he's a guard with a history of injury problems who is most famed for his defense and isn't a primary initiator; Lonzo's basically that except a better shooter. Is Gary Harris the 5th best player on a championship team? Probably not, and he gets that much. So I can still see someone offering Lonzo big cash.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Bulls and Knicks believe that he will boost them into a playoff team.
    Knicks are already a playoff team right now. And the Bulls are like 2 games back of an 8th seed.

The way it's going I think Ball's probably going to stay on the Pels. Hopefully I'm wrong. Because in the offseason, while most teams are probably too smart to overpay for Lonzo, I can see the Knicks coming in with an offer that's too much to match, and we'll probably lose him for nothing.

At this point looks like the offers for Zo are weak enough for us to keep him and probably lose him for nothing.
    SIGN A SF

Quote Originally Posted by All Metro View Post
    At this point looks like the offers for Zo are weak enough for us to keep him and probably lose him for nothing.
    If we trade him for a garbage offer wouldn't that be the same as losing him for nothing? As much as I'd love SOMETHING to happen I wouldn't be mad at Griff if he decided not to take a trash deal. We can always do a sign and trade in the offseason.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Now you have 3 options in my opinion. In the offseason you either sign him, sign and trade him or match whatever the offer is. I don't care if it's the max. You can yell sunk cost or anything else to let him sign elsewhere, but if Griff lets him walk for free I'm off his side. That's just bad GM'ing. And I get the idea, "well overpaying him is a bad idea or maybe he doesn't want to be here"...in that case you should've at least known what was coming in the offseason and did something about it before this deadline. I think he does enjoy playing with Ingram and Zion, not sure about the rest of it.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Now you have 3 options in my opinion. In the offseason you either sign him, sign and trade him or match whatever the offer is. I don't care if it's the max. You can yell sunk cost or anything else to let him sign elsewhere, but if Griff lets him walk for free I'm off his side. That's just bad GM'ing. And I get the idea, "well overpaying him is a bad idea or maybe he doesn't want to be here"...in that case you should've at least known what was coming in the offseason and did something about it before this deadline. I think he does enjoy playing with Ingram and Zion, not sure about the rest of it.
    It's a far better idea to swallow your pride and let a player walk than get to grow a spine months too late and wreck your cap sheet for years just so that you can walk around pretending you didn't mess up at the trade deadline.

Tell me what good pulling up your bootstraps in FA and going all ''I'm not going to lose anyone for nothin'!'' does you when you already made the mistake in March?

Hurry up and trade Lonzo you moron

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Hurry up and trade Lonzo you moron
    Too late, not happening it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    So overpaying is a good GM move?

The Pels need to have in their minds a top figure they are willing to pay Zo or for that matter any player. If that asking price ends up being more than that figure, let the player walk.

Alonzo is not worth the max. He IMO Isn?t worth $20 million. If there is another team that comes to him and offers him the max let?s say, let him walk. If Grif does that he has my respect. We do not need another albatross of a unmoveable player on this team. This franchise has been there and done that and it ultimately cost us AD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Information