Pelicans Report

Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 ... LastLast

Thread: You guys, I think we need to pay Lonzo

Look at it this way. If Zion and Ingram is out for a long period of time, is there anyone on the roster that can replace their production? The answer is an absolute NO. You ask the same question with Ball, I think NAW and Kira can easily give you Ball's production. So giving a guy like that a big chunk of the cap is not a smart move.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal4Pels View Post
    Let's narrow it down. Every remotely available decent shooter with at least ~4.5 attempts per game. Which are available for Zo or Zo/Bled or Zo/Bled/Redick/picks and play defense and aren't old and would be cheaper than Zo? Not as easy at it might seem to hit that criteria. (pardon the eye-bleed format)

POS 3PA 3P%
    3 Joe HarrisBKN SF 6.9 48.7
    9 Marcus Morris Sr.LAC SF 5.1 44.8
    10 Paul GeorgeLAC SG 7.7 44.1
    11 Zach LaVineCHI SG 8.1 43.7
    12 Norman PowellTOR SF 6.5 43.4
    16 Khris MiddletonMIL SF 5.2 42.9
    22 Wayne EllingtonDET SG 6.4 42.2
    23 Mike ConleyUTAH PG 6.6 42.2
    26 Tyrese HaliburtonSAC PG 5.2 42
    27 Terry RozierCHA SG 7.9 41.8
    28 Shai Gilgeous-AlexanderOKC SG 4.9 41.8
    29 Michael Porter Jr.DEN SF 5.6 41.6
    31 Julius RandleNY PF 4.6 41.4
    35 Gordon HaywardCHA SF 4.8 41.2
    38 Anfernee SimonsPOR SG 4.8 40.9
    39 Danilo GallinariATL PF 5.3 40.9
    40 Malik MonkCHA SG 5.1 40.8
    42 Nikola VucevicORL C 6.5 40.7
    44 Malik BeasleyMIN SG 8.7 40.6
    48 Grayson AllenMEM SG 4.9 40.1
    49 OG AnunobyTOR SF 5.4 40
    51 D'Angelo RussellMIN PG 7.4 39.9
    53 Malcolm BrogdonIND PG 6.5 39.8
    54 Lauri MarkkanenCHI PF 7.2 39.6
    55 Alec BurksNY SG 4.8 39.6
    55 Darius GarlandCLE PG 4.4 39.6
    57 Justin HolidayIND SF 6.6 39.6
    58 Patty MillsSA PG 6.9 39.4
    60 Gary Trent Jr.POR SG 7.5 39.3
    61 Reggie BullockNY SF 5.2 39.3
    62 Kyle LowryTOR PG 7.2 39.1
    66 Danny GreenPHI SF 6.1 39
    67 Tim Hardaway Jr.DAL SF 7.6 38.9
    68 Jaylen BrownBOS SG 6.5 38.8
    71 Will BartonDEN SF 4.6 38.7
    72 Saddiq BeyDET SF 5.7 38.6
    75 Cameron JohnsonPHX SF 5.6 38.5
    77 Buddy HieldSAC SG 10.5 38.4
    78 Evan FournierORL SG 7 38.3
    82 Duncan RobinsonMIA SG 8.6 38.2
    83 Davis BertansWSH SF 7.3 38.2
    85 Jae CrowderPHX PF 6.3 38.1
    87 Andrew WigginsGS SF 5.1 37.9
    88 Jrue HolidayMIL PG 4.6 37.8
    This looks like my grocery receipt

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    He's shooting at a career low frequency at the rim.

And why wouldn't his contract actually count for its value against the cap?
    I am really ignorant when it comes to all the rules with cap but I remember that when we extended Jrue his contract didn't count against the cap in the full amount. Aren't there any rules that if you extend a player his salary counts less against the cap?

If we don’t move him does he likely go back to LA?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I don't think he's been bullied as much as people think. Blocked a shot last night on Shroder at the rim and has had some really good contests in the lane these last few games.

Even today, both Kira's and NAw's floors are lower than Lonzo's, as they should be. They both just got into the league for Pete's sakes. They are both just now cracking the egg on the game mentally. Their heads aren't even out of the shell yet.

And still, their ceiling games are already better (NAW) or close to what Lonzo has shown. They are both just more dynamic basketball players. So 2 - 3 years from now seems an odd question to me.
    I agree with this. He's actually held his own quite well defensively, recovering well to contest and navigating screens well. His block rate is pretty impressive for a guy of his size, and of course we expect that sort of thing to grow with experience.

Right now, today, is Lonzo better than Kira? Yep, he is. He's also literally 150+ games deeper into his career and years of NBA development further along, so it would be a crying shame if he wasn't. Kira's ceiling is clearly, clearly higher though.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    Look at it this way. If Zion and Ingram is out for a long period of time, is there anyone on the roster that can replace their production? The answer is an absolute NO. You ask the same question with Ball, I think NAW and Kira can easily give you Ball's production. So giving a guy like that a big chunk of the cap is not a smart move.
    I look at Lonzo as our Draymond Green going forward. His production may look replaceable but he can be a very integral piece in our offense and defense. Him and Kira can make a very formidable backcourt.

I think if Lonzo's asking price is $20M then you resign him. I believe he'll continue to improve and we'll be able to move that deal for a much better return if needed. We'll regret letting Lonzo go so easily especially for the role players that's being offered. If he wants to stay I say keep him. His IQ and feel for the game is not as easily replaceable as some may think. Move Bledsoe and JJ, fill out the team better and we'll be good. Paying Lonzo $20M right now does not cap strap us or lock us into a big 3.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    I look at Lonzo as our Draymond Green going forward. His production may look replaceable but he can be a very integral piece in our offense and defense. Him and Kira can make a very formidable backcourt.

I think if Lonzo's asking price is $20M then you resign him. I believe he'll continue to improve and we'll be able to move that deal for a much better return if needed. We'll regret letting Lonzo go so easily especially for the role players that's being offered. If he wants to stay I say keep him. His IQ and feel for the game is not as easily replaceable as some may think. Move Bledsoe and JJ, fill out the team better and we'll be good. Paying Lonzo $20M right now does not cap strap us or lock us into a big 3.
    I don't see it. Ball doesn't offer anything that makes him a Draymond Green impact player. Point Zion and Ingram makes his PG skillset less valuable. His 3 point shot is probably his est asset for this team right now but his percentages takes a nose dive after the first quarter and continues to through the 4th quarter. I just can't see his value on this team when Kira and NAW are much more dynamic players especially in the half court.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    They both just got into the league for Pete's sakes. They are both just now cracking the egg on the game mentally. Their heads aren't even out of the shell yet.
    Which is why I said "too early to tell."

I agree with this. He's actually held his own quite well defensively, recovering well to contest and navigating screens well. His block rate is pretty impressive for a guy of his size, and of course we expect that sort of thing to grow with experience.

Right now, today, is Lonzo better than Kira? Yep, he is. He's also literally 150+ games deeper into his career and years of NBA development further along, so it would be a crying shame if he wasn't. Kira's ceiling is clearly, clearly higher though.
    Against Portland, he was bull dozed regularly in the lane. How can you talk about his block rate being impressive yet. He has 4 career blocks and 2 were last night. Kind of hard to make a judgment yet. I really like what I see from him, but it sure appears some are anointing him before he has even had a chance to show his game yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    I don't see it. Ball doesn't offer anything that makes him a Draymond Green impact player. Point Zion and Ingram makes his PG skillset less valuable. His 3 point shot is probably his est asset for this team right now but his percentages takes a nose dive after the first quarter and continues to through the 4th quarter. I just can't see his value on this team when Kira and NAW are much more dynamic players especially in the half court.
    Hard to disagree with this. NAW's athleticism is my only concern with him. His shot gets blocked so much. Zion and BI playmaking does eat into Lonzos PG skillset. Where I see Draymond in Lonzo is his ability to make the 2nd pass very quickly. He reads the game so well and is able to get the ball out of his hands within milliseconds. I just feel like if we move him now, we'll lose so badly on a deal. Every offer is weak. Paying him $20M right now, doesn't really cap us if we're able to move Bledsoe.

We have had a few of pretty good 6'3" point guards here in New Orleans throughout the 21st Century - Baron Davis, Chris Paul, and Jrue Holiday. With all due respect, I don't see Kira Lewis Jr on the same level as these three offensively or defensively. I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see it.

Ofcourse not. He's been buried on the bench and is still younger than most of those guys coming into the league. You look at those guys their rookie year, outside of Paul, those guys weren't lighting it up either.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    We have had a few of pretty good 6'3" point guards here in New Orleans throughout the 21st Century - Baron Davis, Chris Paul, and Jrue Holiday. With all due respect, I don't see Kira Lewis Jr on the same level as these three offensively or defensively. I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see it.

Huh? Kira is 6'1". CP is 6'0'' but besides that why are they the measuring stick for Kira's success?

SIGN A SF

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Against Portland, he was bull dozed regularly in the lane. How can you talk about his block rate being impressive yet. He has 4 career blocks and 2 were last night. Kind of hard to make a judgment yet. I really like what I see from him, but it sure appears some are anointing him before he has even had a chance to show his game yet.
    Yes I'm aware it's all very small sample size right now. As is your example of him being ''bulldozed regularly in the lane'': he's played fewer than 500 minutes over halfway into the season, of course everything is small sample size.

I agree that he needs to show more at the NBA level before he can be ''anointed'' but there's a difference between ''anointing'' someone and just pointing out that their flashes have been very promising thus far and indicate a high potential ceiling.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    No matter what Skip says, we can at least listen to him because he actually watches all of the games, unlike many other pundits.

Yes I'm aware it's all very small sample size right now. As is your example of him being ''bulldozed regularly in the lane'': he's played fewer than 500 minutes over halfway into the season, of course everything is small sample size.

I agree that he needs to show more at the NBA level before he can be ''anointed'' but there's a difference between ''anointing'' someone and just pointing out that their flashes have been very promising thus far and indicate a high potential ceiling.
    ...and there have been some legitimate concerns, as well, that suggest a pretty low floor.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Wait what? You have already made that conclusion?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Wait what? You have already made that conclusion?
    No, not at all. I simply haven't anointed him like others have.

................. ...G S min fg fga .fgp 3pt 3pta pct 2pt 2pta 2ptp efg% ft fta ftp or dr tr ast stl blk PPG

Baron Davis 82 0 18.6 2.2 5.3 .420 0.3 1.4 .225 1.9 3.9 .488 .449 1.2 1.9 .634 0.6 1.4 2.0 3.8 1.2 0.2 5.9 age 20

Chris Paul 78 78 36.0 5.2 12.1 .430 0.6 2.3 .282 4.6 9.9 .464 .456 5.1 6.0 .847 0.8 4.3 5.1 7.8 2.2 0.1 16.1 age 20

Jrue Holliday 73 51 24.2 3.2 7.1 .442 0.8 2.2 .390 2.3 4.9 .465 .502 0.9 1.2 .756 0.8 1.8 2.6 3.8 1.1 0.2 8.0 age 19

Kira Lewis 28 0 14.3 2.3 5.7 .396 0.7 2.0 .339 1.6 3.7 .427 .456 0.6 0.9 .720 0.1 0.8 0.9 2.0 0.7 0.1 5.8 age 19

28 games in is a little early to compare Kira to anyone. That said the comparison at this point would be there vs their 1st years only.
    CP3 is a first ballot HOF!
    But Kira in 14 min a game is holding his own statistically with the other 2, especially Baron.
    Last edited by redrum; 03-24-2021 at 01:10 PM.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

You guys, I think we need to pay Lonzo

PELS: receive Mitchell Robinson, RJ Barrett and

KNICKS: Lonzo Ball

What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post

What do you think?

I'd do it, but no way NYK would.

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    CP3 is a first ballot HOF!
    I know there are arguments for other guys, but for me when I think the the Point Guard, just the absolute epitome of the Traditional Point Guard, CP3 is the greatest of all time.

Best player to ever do what he does. Other players have done other things and may have been greater in those roles, but nobody surpasses CP3 at being that particular guy.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post

What do you think?

In a heartbeat, but Knicks would not even think about it.

Thread Information