Pelicans Report

Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 ... LastLast

Thread: You guys, I think we need to pay Lonzo

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Trade Lonzo to NY for Barrett
    I don't really think NY would do that, but if they would then I'd be into it.

I wasn't huge on RJ coming out of college and frankly I'm still not massive on him but he's made a few clear improvements this year, he's 3 years younger than Lonzo, and there's still another 2 years on his deal after this season for less money than Lonzo costs already, so the argument for it is legitimate.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    No chance even if we attached a top 4 protected 2021 IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Trade Lonzo to NY for Barrett

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Would be a solid trade for Pels, but find it hard to see Knicks doing it. Barrett has not become the instant star they expected, but still very young. It depends on how Leon Rose sees his future (or how much he likes Ball).

Lol absolutely zero chance they trade Barrett for lonzo, actually less than 0, like -10

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Would be a solid trade for Pels, but find it hard to see Knicks doing it. Barrett has not become the instant star they expected, but still very young. It depends on how Leon Rose sees his future (or how much he likes Ball).
    I can see them making a run for Lonzo but I wouldn't expect it to be with Barrett as the primary piece, not unless it was a larger deal with more going back and forth either way.

Anyone catch Molly?s final comment on First Take? Looks like Lonzo to NY? Then they went off air

Hawks still offering Reddish?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    I?m all for offering chicken as an added bonus if we we get Reddish or Barrett

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Anyone catch Molly?s final comment on First Take? Looks like Lonzo to NY? Then they went off air
    I saw the headline of an article that Lonzo?s Dad wants him to go to Knicks but Zo does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    I saw the headline of an article that Lonzo?s Dad wants him to go to Knicks but Zo does not.

I saw that too. If he says he wants to stay in Nola then I think he should stay

Says the Knicks are trying to find a third team to take Bledsoe so they can acquire Lonzo. Sounds reasonable, but it looks unlikely.

Good luck with that Knicks!

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Says the Knicks are trying to find a third team to take Bledsoe so they can acquire Lonzo. Sounds reasonable, but it looks unlikely.
    Forcing Bledsoe is a bad move.

To get back to where the thread started, what should we be willing to pay Lonzo?

That seems the question at the heart of the whole deal. If you aren't going to match what he'll get in the market this offseason, you deal him now, right? Or does the possibility of a sign-and-trade complicate that formula? Naturally, what you want to avoid is holding on to him, not matching a bid in restricted free agency, and losing Lonzo for nothing.

What if Lonzo get's a bid for $20 million a year? What if it's $25 million? Are you going to match no matter what? And if so, what would that decision do to your cap/luxury tax problems longterm?

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Forcing Bledsoe is a bad move.
    I think so too. Especially if it kills the value of whatever we are moving. At this point we are better off just riding Bledsoe’s contract out as I’m not sure we will be able to attract the right free agents anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    To get back to where the thread started, what should we be willing to pay Lonzo?

That seems the question at the heart of the whole deal. If you aren't going to match what he'll get in the market this offseason, you deal him now, right? Or does the possibility of a sign-and-trade complicate that formula? Naturally, what you want to avoid is holding on to him, not matching a bid in restricted free agency, and losing Lonzo for nothing.

What if Lonzo get's a bid for $20 million a year? What if it's $25 million? Are you going to match no matter what? And if so, what would that decision do to your cap/luxury tax problems longterm?
    I want you guys also to discuss other parts of the contract that go beyond annual salary, because that could/should effect your thinking to. Not all 20 mil per year contracts are built the same. He could sign a 4/80 offer sheet that is clean, or far more likely, it has built in things that deincentivize the Pels to match. Klutch, for instance, likes to front load cash payments at the beginning of each year. Trade kickers. Player options, etc

And believe me, if he does sign an offer sheet, the other team will put all these things in there that the Pels dont want to have in the deal. Its not just annual salary to me. He gets to RFA and if Klutch wants him in the other city, that contract will be ugly in a myriad of ways that go beyond the annual salary
    @mcnamara247

If he gets a bid for any more than $18m a year (assuming, of course, that we haven't traded him) then he can go and walk. Absolutely not paying $20m or more, that's out of line for me.

The actual details matter at $18m as well. $18 for, say, a 4yr deal with a team option is far far more palatable than a 5yr deal with a player option, for example. I don't think I'd give a player option in almost any circumstances, to be honest, unless it was a deal heavily under market value and the option was the cost of that.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    The flip side is you make it known you're going to match any offer, so poison pill or not he's going to be a Pelican - unless they (new team and Clutch) figure out fair compensation via trade now or sign and trade in the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    The flip side is you make it known you're going to match any offer, so poison pill or not he's going to be a Pelican - unless they (new team and Clutch) figure out fair compensation via trade now or sign and trade in the offseason.
    If that was the mindset, I don't think he'd be on the market right now. They either know for sure that he wants to leave or they are not willing to pay his asking price.

And if you are going to match ANY offer, then what would stop a team from going above what they would want to give Lonzo, just to screw over the Pels - who are going to match it?

This is not a fun game of chicken to play. Especially for an average player. To me, Griff needs to talk with Klutch and Lonzo today or tomorrow and know his desire to be here and his likelihood of not taking any visits or playing any games if Griff gives him a fair offer this summer.

I dont know if you will get honest answers, but if they say they'd prefer to be elsewhere and/or they'd prefer a different role, then its an easy decision on Thursday

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    If that was the mindset, I don't think he'd be on the market right now. They either know for sure that he wants to leave or they are not willing to pay his asking price.
    They were a few mil off in negotiations this offseason. Per year. Pels wanted 13-15, Klutch was in the 18-20 range. I cant imagine Klutch has come down at all and they can get that if he plays even average the rest of the year.

There are very very few players that are worth an all-in bargain like that. Lonzo is certainly not one of them.

Imagine eating a max contract with all the negative extras just out of spite. It would be absurdity at the least, insanity more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    There are very very few players that are worth an all-in bargain like that. Lonzo is certainly not one of them.

Imagine eating a max contract with all the negative extras just out of spite. It would be absurdity at the least, insanity more likely.
    Well, that's the worst possible outcome and something we saw some of under Demps--you "have" to do "X" because you already did "Y." Basically, an unwillingness to accept sunk costs and move on. It's debilitating. If it came to that, I'd support Griff more if he gambled and lost Lonzo for nothing rather than sign some poison pill-laden offer that cripples the Pelicans financially going forward. If you are going to try to keep him, you have to decide now that you are not going to be pressured into signing him to an exploding contract just so you can't be accused of "losing him for nothing." Let some other team blow their cap up playing that game.

I think we all like Lonzo as a player at the right number. It just seems like somebody with cap space (cough-Knicks-cough) is going to throw a huge, front-loaded, wad at him and dare us to match. I think Mac is right. You basically need to know the situation now, not this summer. If you can't get a straight answer or assurance from Lonzo's camp at Klutch, you almost have to pull the trigger on a trade at the deadline. It sucks, because Lonzo has real value on the court. But it's the smart play.

Well, that's the worst possible outcome and something we saw some of under Demps--you "have" to do "X" because you already did "Y." Basically, an unwillingness to accept sunk costs and move on. It's debilitating. If it came to that, I'd support Griff more if he gambled and lost Lonzo for nothing rather than sign some poison pill-laden offer that cripples the Pelicans financially going forward. If you are going to try to keep him, you have to decide now that you are not going to be pressured into signing him to an exploding contract just so you can't be accused of "losing him for nothing." Let some other team blow their cap up playing that game.

I think we all like Lonzo as a player at the right number. It just seems like somebody with cap space (cough-Knicks-cough) is going to throw a huge, front-loaded, wad at him and dare us to match. I think Mac is right. You basically need to know the situation now, not this summer. If you can't get a straight answer or assurance from Lonzo's camp at Klutch, you almost have to pull the trigger on a trade at the deadline. It sucks, because Lonzo has real value on the court. But it's the smart play.
    I agree with this, and have been pushing for us to move Lonzo before the deadline since November My point is that ever saying to a player or their agent ''we will pay you any amount of money up to and including the max'' (which is functionally what declaring an intention to match any offer is, whether it's made explicit or not) is basically never a good idea. Mostly because it's either an empty threat, or a guarantee of a huge contract for the player in question, neither of which benefits the team making the claim.

Thread Information