Pelicans Report

Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast

Thread: You guys, I think we need to pay Lonzo

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    It depends on how we finish on whether I want to pay Lonzo. If it looks like we will end up with a top 6 pick than I would rather not pay him unless Mobley ends up being my pick. But if it looks like we will pick at the end of the lottery than I may want him back. It?s hard to find guys as talented as him everyday. Cause if we end up with Cade, Green, Kuminga, Barnes, or Suggs than I would rather have them start with either Kira, NAW, or even BI(if we end up with Kuminga or Barnes) in the backcourt.

His shot has improved so much that I may be willing to pay him, but I may have to have his word that he would be ok starting at the 2. So if a trade comes to fruition that is too good to pass up I?m jumping on it. Cause I would be fine with a possible Kira & NAW backcourt if I don?t end up with a right away starting caliber player in the draft.
    If you keep Zo, you are investing heavy money into a core I just personally don't leave in that much from a mental makeup standpoint and skill set. We all know Zo is improving, but even at his peak, I just don't think with the assembled core it will ever generate us as a top 4 team in the West.

Alot of fans are not looking at the long term implications of the core when committing, and honestly I just don't want us to be mediocre, because it will be AD all over again.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    If you keep Zo, you are investing heavy money into a core I just personally don't leave in that much from a mental makeup standpoint and skill set. We all know Zo is improving, but even at his peak, I just don't think with the assembled core it will ever generate us as a top 4 team in the West.

Alot of fans are not looking at the long term implications of the core when committing, and honestly I just don't want us to be mediocre, because it will be AD all over again.
    This is the point that I've made, and that Shamit has made, and that a bunch of other people have made, but it's one that seems to be avoided a lot.

People love to talk about what they would pay Lonzo in the abstract, but they don't often situate it in reality.

The question is not ''what do you think Lonzo would be worth'' in some vague, generalised sense; the question is ''how much are you willing to pay to keep this team together?''. This sub-500, defensively-terrible, 11th seeded team.

Are you willing to cap yourself out for the entirety of Zion's time with the Pels until he's free to go elsewhere in year 7 for this team? If so, by all means empty out the pockets for Lonzo and Hart. If not, you have hard decisions to make.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    To be fair, its not a "call" -- it is direct info from people involved.

But that is the goal - to take a huge swing this summer, or at the latest before next trade deadline, and to do that he needs assets and expiring salary. Or even if he gets a guy like Cam Reddish, he would be in the eventual big trade.

So if Lonzo is traded (I am still skeptical), dont look at the deal in a vacuum. It is a set up trade for the next one
    And who realistically will be available for a “big move” besides maybe Beal? Maybe Lavine, but I doubt Chicago gives up on it’s young core.

Griff is looking for contracts and picks for Lonzo to move in the 'Big deal' this offseason/next year

When thinking of your Lonzo trades, dont think about guys you want here long term. Think about assets and tradeable salaries to attach to Bledsoe, a young guy or two and some other picks to go get the big fish. Thats what Griff is trying to do
    Wouldn?t Beverley and Kennard fit that scenario?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    Wouldn?t Beverley and Kennard fit that scenario?

And how does that move the needle for the Clippers this year? Two teams have to agree to the trade
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    And who realistically will be available for a “big move” besides maybe Beal? Maybe Lavine, but I doubt Chicago gives up on it’s young core.
    29 teams will lose this year and that gives a ton of guys an opportunity to be over it and seek out greener grass. Would you have predicted midway through last season that Harden would put in a trade demand in the offseason?

I try not to guess which guy will want out any more. I just know that recent history says 2-3 All Star level players will be moved ever year or so. And if not in the offseason, some guy will be disappointed with his teams slow start next year before the trade deadline. Trying to figure out who those guys will be is a fools errand

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    This is the point that I've made, and that Shamit has made, and that a bunch of other people have made, but it's one that seems to be avoided a lot.

People love to talk about what they would pay Lonzo in the abstract, but they don't often situate it in reality.

The question is not ''what do you think Lonzo would be worth'' in some vague, generalised sense; the question is ''how much are you willing to pay to keep this team together?''. This sub-500, defensively-terrible, 11th seeded team.

Are you willing to cap yourself out for the entirety of Zion's time with the Pels until he's free to go elsewhere in year 7 for this team? If so, by all means empty out the pockets for Lonzo and Hart. If not, you have hard decisions to make.
    It's not a hard decision IMO. It's just gonna involve a lot of PR clean up I'd wager. But screw it. It allows us upward mobility.

And how does that move the needle for the Clippers this year? Two teams have to agree to the trade
    Depends how much the Clippers value Lonzo Ball. He is definitely an upgrade over Beverley and Kennard who barely plays for them. It’s not a bad trade for the Clippers. They get younger and more talented at point guard in the deal without hurting their team much at all. Lou is about to be on his year to year min tour if he wants to win or he will take a 2-3 year deal like Redick did with the Pels.

Clippers lineup

PG: Ball/Jackson
    SG: George/Bledsoe
    SF: Leonard/Batum
    PF: Morris/Patterson
    C: Ibaka/Zubac
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 03-21-2021 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    It's not a hard decision IMO. It's just gonna involve a lot of PR clean up I'd wager. But screw it. It allows us upward mobility.
    Personally I agree, it's not a very hard decision at all, but it would be for the people who really like Lonzo but just think he needs XYZ to really blossom.

Personally I agree, it's not a very hard decision at all, but it would be for the people who really like Lonzo but just think he needs XYZ to really blossom.
    I’ll be glad when those individuals follow Lonzo to his next destination. They have infested the Pels fanbase with their toxic attitudes.

To be fair, its not a "call" -- it is direct info from people involved.

But that is the goal - to take a huge swing this summer, or at the latest before next trade deadline, and to do that he needs assets and expiring salary. Or even if he gets a guy like Cam Reddish, he would be in the eventual big trade.

So if Lonzo is traded (I am still skeptical), dont look at the deal in a vacuum. It is a set up trade for the next one
    If that is the intent, I wonder if the internal struggles is whether Ball, on an extension, is more valuable in a trade than an expiring deal.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    I’ll be glad when those individuals follow Lonzo to his next destination. They have infested the Pels fanbase with their toxic attitudes.
    Yeah, there are some people who go just way too far with it.

I get people disagreeing with me, that happens all the time and we can have those discussions and arguments.

But there are somehow still people who think that Lonzo is just this all-time great, top-5 player in waiting who is being oppressed by SVG and David Griffin. The sort of people who get online after every game to complain about how he isn't getting the ball enough, isn't getting enough shots, isn't getting the offense run through him.

Somehow these people never seem to realise that Lonzo is putting up career highers in ppg, 2pt%, 3pt%, 3pt volume, FT%, TS%, BPM, and WS/48 all while simultaneously hitting career lows in TOV% and PFr, and that the fact that this is happening might be a sign that he is better off being an off-ball roleplayer than an on-ball creator.

They seem to think being a good roleplayer is some sort of shameful position to be in, which is absurd. A good NBA roleplayer is in the top 5% of players on the entire planet and every team needs them.

They just don't need them for $20m+, is all.

I get people disagreeing with me, that happens all the time and we can have those discussions and arguments.

But there are somehow still people who think that Lonzo is just this all-time great, top-5 player in waiting who is being oppressed by SVG and David Griffin. The sort of people who get online after every game to complain about how he isn't getting the ball enough, isn't getting enough shots, isn't getting the offense run through him.

Somehow these people never seem to realise that Lonzo is putting up career highers in ppg, 2pt%, 3pt%, 3pt volume, FT%, TS%, BPM, and WS/48 all while simultaneously hitting career lows in TOV% and PFr, and that the fact that this is happening might be a sign that he is better off being an off-ball roleplayer than an on-ball creator.

They seem to think being a good roleplayer is some sort of shameful position to be in, which is absurd. A good NBA roleplayer is in the top 5% of players on the entire planet and every team needs them.

They just don't need them for $20m+, is all.
    Don't recall seeing anyone claim he is a top-5 players being oppressed by SVG and Griff. Nor do I see too many people claiming he isn't getting enough shots. However, I do recall you complaining and highlighting anything and everything he does wrong mainly because he was part of the Laker assets that came in the AD trade along with BI. So, this is a bit like the pot calling the kettle black.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Don't recall seeing anyone claim he is a top-5 players being oppressed by SVG and Griff. Nor do I see too many people claiming he isn't getting enough shots. However, I do recall you complaining and highlighting anything and everything he does wrong mainly because he was part of the Laker assets that came in the AD trade along with BI. So, this is a bit like the pot calling the kettle black.
    I'm not talking about anyone on here with that, I think both DaFranchise and I were both talking about the people with Twitter accounts called ''GoatLonzoDaGod'' and stuff like that.

Not taking any shots at any members of this board, but there definitely are people who say things like that. Look in the comments of any Pelicans official tweet or Instagram post to find swarms of them. In fact, I'll do it for you.

Here are comments from underneath the Pelicans IG post with Lonzo as the picture from a few days ago:

''If lonzo goes to knicks you'll be regretful''

''Trade Zo to a team that will actually use him in the right way''

''Keep that dude in in crunch time!!!'' - from ''GoatedLonzo''

''I've been saying this from the beginning. This is Lonzo's team. Let him set up guys, it fuels his offense.''

''Pels trash, no clue what they have in Lonzo''

''Involve Lonzo, let him run more plays that aren't catch and shoot'' - from ''LonzoCulture''

''Let Zo run point, he's getting 30 assists!!!'' - from a dude with a Lakers jersey as his profile pic

''Pels use Lonzo in the worst ways, just let him run the point plz like I don't see what the problem with that''

And so on, on basically every post. Those are the people I'm talking about, not just people who think he's neat. I think that's who DaFranchise was talking about as well.

I'm not talking about anyone on here with that, I think both DaFranchise and I were both talking about the people with Twitter accounts called ''GoatLonzoDaGod'' and stuff like that.

Not taking any shots at any members of this board, but there definitely are people who say things like that. Look in the comments of any Pelicans official tweet or Instagram post to find swarms of them. In fact, I'll do it for you.

Here are comments from underneath the Pelicans IG post with Lonzo as the picture from a few days ago:

''I've been saying this from the beginning. This is Lonzo's team. Let him set up guys, it fuels his offense.''

''Involve Lonzo, let him run more plays that aren't catch and shoot'' - from ''LonzoCulture''

''Let Zo run point, he's getting 30 assists!!!'' - from a dude with a Lakers jersey as his profile pic

''Pels use Lonzo in the worst ways, just let him run the point plz like I don't see what the problem with that''

And so on, on basically every post. Those are the people I'm talking about, not just people who think he's neat. I think that's who DaFranchise was talking about as well.
    Really? I can only assume you have not looked at the negative posts on IG or Twitter. They FAR outweigh those posts.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    I was just thinking the same thing. And, just because guys argue with the same 3 people ad nauseum, doesn't necessarily translate to "people" in the larger context. For the most part, I think the "people" are going to be ok either way, because it's all about Zion and BI. Personally, I like how Lonzo has developed, and if he stays, then great. If the team decides to move him, then great! It shows that they feel a player with a different style is more important to add to the Zion and BI mix.

Really? I can only assume you have not looked at the negative posts on IG or Twitter. They FAR outweigh those posts.
    You're free to find those other people more irritating, I don't mind. Just clearing up the misunderstanding you had with my initial post. You said you don't recall anyone claiming that he's some severely underused mega-talent, and I explained the people I meant and gave some examples. That there are other people who may also be annoying in a different way is beside the point, honestly.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The Twitter fiends are insufferable. They’re in YouTube comment sections too.

Abandon hope, all ye who enter.

Yeah, these individuals are mainly former or current Lakers fans or diehard Lonzo fans primarily from the west coast. They claim to be Pelicans fans but are really wolves in sheep’s clothing.
    Last edited by DaFranchise80; 03-22-2021 at 05:39 PM.

Basketball Guru

i get that you came back and cleaned it up by saying you not talking about anyone here....now lets be fair...if you are going to call out the lonzo stans then that ^ also goes for you....

they're game threads where you and funcrusher have in yall minds legit said those things ^ about zion when in actual game time that ingram was cooking and the team was up by 10.....or when teams crowd the paint and forcing zion to get other players involved for a possession or 3..........yes,,you two go just way too far with it posting comments about zion like the ones you have in your quote in examples as i laid out in my post....

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    i get that you came back and cleaned it up by saying you not talking about anyone here....now lets be fair...if you are going to call out the lonzo stans then that ^ also goes for you....

they're game threads where you and funcrusher have in yall minds legit said those things ^ about zion when in actual game time that ingram was cooking and the team was up by 10.....or when teams crowd the paint and forcing zion to get other players involved for a possession or 3..........yes,,you two go just way too far with it posting comments about zion like the ones you have in your quote in examples as i laid out in my post....
    Huge *huge* difference in saying that your offensively excellent on-ball player who often goes long stretches without shots should get some shots, and saying that your roleplayer off-ball guy who has already taken 6 threes should be given control of the offense because it's ''Lonzo's team''.

But you know, you go ahead and compare apples with golf-balls if you like.

This is really simple....

If the belief is that BI, Zion, and Lonzo are the core of a future championship contending team....resign him.
    If the thought is that BI and Zion need a 3rd player getting around 20 mill better than Lonzo to win.....trade him now.
    If Lonzo, his dad, and Klutch want out of NO, get him out of NO!

Does anyone really think Lonzo is going to turn into a 5 time all star sorta like a poor mans Jason Kidd?
    What makes you believe that? What you see now might be it?

I, personally, can not see the Pels brightest future happening with Lonzo and his financial demands or play.
    I would trade him now at his most valuable moment. Do not let him walk for nothing like Julius Randle.
    If he ends up great in NY,Atl,LAC,or Chi, who cares good for him, but the Pels will have more assets and a brighter future without him.
    Last edited by redrum; 03-22-2021 at 11:23 PM.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

You guys, I think we need to pay Lonzo

Grif needs to use the Saints as a model. I have no issue with Lonzo staying on this team to the end of the season. But the Pels need to put a hard price on Lonzo, whatever it is; and if someone offers him more then let him walk.

Or they can trade him, if they feel they don?t have a shot at resigning him for whatever figure they price him at. Hopefully if they do they can fill one of the holes on this team, I.e. quality backup 3 or 4, or one or more 3 and D?s.

Please just don?t make the Gordon mistake again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Trade Lonzo to NY for Barrett

Thread Information