Pelicans Report

Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast

Thread: You guys, I think we need to pay Lonzo

Thing about resigning Zo it eats into our salary cap for money we would try to use to sign a big name player before zions rookie deal is over and then we would just use bird rights to resign Zion and go over the cap, there’s just so many ways the front office can play this and I’m curious to see what they do

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Thing about resigning Zo it eats into our salary cap for money we would try to use to sign a big name player before zions rookie deal is over and then we would just use bird rights to resign Zion and go over the cap, there’s just so many ways the front office can play this and I’m curious to see what they do
    The Pels aren't signing a big name player. If we ever get one, it will be via trade. We can maintain/gain flexibility by keeping Lonzo and Hart because we can use those mid tier contracts to aggregate salary for a bigger contract. However, the key is to maintain the asset and not turn them into a negative.

The important thing for the FO is determining what number the rest of the league is comfortable with for those guys. It's not so much are you willing to pay the guy this much as it is are other teams willing to trade for this player making this much.

If you start Hart this year and he kills it like MM said you have to pay him much more, but if you wait until next year to start heart and you resign Lonzo you now have Lonzo and heart as the starters, which would be fine, but you take away minutes from Kira. The good news would still be that you probably got Hart for cheap so you can move him back to the bench and Lonzo to SG but Kira is ready. Like it?s been said with Lonzo it?s just about how much, I wouldn?t trade him tho, I?d take the risk and see what other teams pay him, we could get lucky. Also it?s not like you would get a boat load for him in a trade anyway
    Are we being a bit premature with ordaining Kira as 'The Answer'? There is a reason he's not playing anymore after his early February debut.

I hope not, but could Kira be JAXSON 2.0?

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    We got extra draft compensation to take on that contract in the hopes that we could flip him into even more draft compensation in the future or package him in a deal for a star. Bledsoe's on court production would rank like 5th or 6th in reasons we invested.

As for Adams, he's been very good. The investment in him will make even more sense whenever the Pels are finally able to acquire the stretch 4 they've been looking for
    Have we been looking for a stretch 4? Where does Zion go when we get this stretch 4? Why not a stretch 5? Adams is a great guy to have on the team. However, he has a ton of miles on his body and does not appear to be a building block for this team.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Have we been looking for a stretch 4? Where does Zion go when we get this stretch 4? Why not a stretch 5? Adams is a great guy to have on the team. However, he has a ton of miles on his body and does not appear to be a building block for this team.
    This!!!

The Pels aren't signing a big name player. If we ever get one, it will be via trade. We can maintain/gain flexibility by keeping Lonzo and Hart because we can use those mid tier contracts to aggregate salary for a bigger contract. However, the key is to maintain the asset and not turn them into a negative.

The important thing for the FO is determining what number the rest of the league is comfortable with for those guys. It's not so much are you willing to pay the guy this much as it is are other teams willing to trade for this player making this much.
    I would agree in the past that a big name wouldn’t come here but now that we have Zion the chances have at least increased

Honestly Zion is gonna be out PG so offensively it doesn’t matter who the stretch is, defense is what will matter, that’s why either Mobley or Kuminga would be great fits

I feel like stretch 4s and stretch 5s are pretty similar, other than that stretch 5s can't really defend 3s like stretch 4s could.

But offensively, there is little difference between a stretch 4 and a stretch 5

Yea its the same thing. A big who can play with either Zion or Adams and can finish games. They flirted with a few guys in the draft

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I feel like stretch 4s and stretch 5s are pretty similar, other than that stretch 5s can't really defend 3s like stretch 4s could.

But offensively, there is little difference between a stretch 4 and a stretch 5
    I agree with regard to the offensive side of the ball, but the there is a massive chasm between a Gallinari and a Jokic defensively. (not that that matters on this team)

Jokic can match up with a Gobert or Embiid,,,Gallinari, not so much.
    Last edited by As I See It; 03-02-2021 at 01:36 PM.

There's hundreds of real NBA shooters that don't make 39% of their 3s on 8 per game. If Lonzo was doing the things you mentioned in your post, he would be unquestionably a max guy. I don't think anyone is saying he is a max guy.

You're right that Lonzo is basically only taking open 3s. As per NBA tracking data, 7.2 of his 7.8 3pg are either open or wide open. I'm fine with that, though. It shows decent shot selection, as well as a willingness to take the open 3.

Do you understand why he's so open though? It's because Zion's gravity is so insane that defenses literally have no choice but to leave guys like Lonzo wide open, and he's hitting those shots at a 41.5% clip. You can't fault him for being open. If he continues to knock those open 3s down at an elite level, teams will have to make a choice to either help off of Lonzo or give Zion a 1v1 dribble drive. The Pels are also starting to incorporate the JJ-Zion pick play, except with Zo as the screen setter.

For the record, I've been in favor of the Pels drafting Corey Kispert for quite a while now. You can't have too many good shooters, and currently the Pels don't have enough.

People haven't gotten to see it yet, but Kira is a very good shooter. If you're basing your opinion on stats from his 12 games played thus far, you're playing yourself.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that Zo has reached a point where he can benefit the team when Zion sucks everyone in. But you can tell the difference in how teams play Zion when we run a two man game with him and JJ. Zion's effectiveness increases when paired with a guard who is a legitimate outside threat to complement Zion's inside game. So who on our team is going to take this role when JJ is either traded or leaves?

I'm hoping Kira gets to a point where he's a legitimate NBA shooting threat. But let's not kid ourselves he's not there yet. I'm hoping that NAW continues working on his outside shot and becomes a legitimate shooting threat from the outside. But right now neither of those players can consistently perform in that role. Bledsoe is never going to be that guy. I'd love to keep Ball and jettison Bledsoe and get a legitimate three point threat on this team. I just don't know how realistic that is. Who would want to take Bledsoe's contract?

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that Zo has reached a point where he can benefit the team when Zion sucks everyone in. But you can tell the difference in how teams play Zion when we run a two man game with him and JJ. Zion's effectiveness increases when paired with a guard who is a legitimate outside threat to complement Zion's inside game. So who on our team is going to take this role when JJ is either traded or leaves?

I'm hoping Kira gets to a point where he's a legitimate NBA shooting threat. But let's not kid ourselves he's not there yet. I'm hoping that NAW continues working on his outside shot and becomes a legitimate shooting threat from the outside. But right now neither of those players can consistently perform in that role. Bledsoe is never going to be that guy. I'd love to keep Ball and jettison Bledsoe and get a legitimate three point threat on this team. I just don't know how realistic that is. Who would want to take Bledsoe's contract?
    Yea I agree, which is why I want Kispert. I really like Lonzo, but at the same time he’s definitely not that guy that can come off screens and relocate yet.

We really need Kira and NAW to hit, which is why we have to get Bledsoe off the team prior to the deadline. Bledsoe could be an all nba player from here on out and it will do absolutely nothing for our future. I think my ideal combos would be Kira and Zo and then NAW and BI. We so severely lack secondary ball handlers right now, and Kira and NAW could both obviously be that guy.

Pelicans

I'd keep him at a reasonable cost. Dude is very coachable and is not a team cancer. Seems like a good kid in a game of prima donnas. He's a talented, complimentary player who can do great things at times. He's still young.

Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    I'd keep him at a reasonable cost. Dude is very coachable and is not a team cancer. Seems like a good kid in a game of prima donnas. He's a talented, complimentary player who can do great things at times. He's still young.
    The issue is, what is a "reasonable cost?"

Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    Can we please bin the superficial takes?

Yes, any sane person in their right mind would keep him at a reasonable cost. He probably not going to come at a reasonable price tag. That brings complications and implications. The realistic options are:

A) Trade him now
    B) Offer him a ********load and hope that's enough
    C) Be preferred to match a ********load or even a ********load + some
    D) Sign and trade
    Last edited by AusPel; 03-03-2021 at 10:49 AM.

The issue is, what is a "reasonable cost?"
    That's one of them for sure

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Can be please bin the superficial takes?

Yes, any sane person in their right mind would keep him at a reasonable cost. He probably not going to come at a reasonable price tag. That brings complications and implications. The realistic options are:

A) Trade him now
    B) Offer him a ********load and hope that's enough
    C) Be preferred to match a ********load or even a ********load + some
    D) Sign and trade
    It’s gonna be C or D. We aren’t trading him before the deadline IMO

It’s gonna be C or D. We aren’t trading him before the deadline IMO

I think I saw enough ... Lonzo made big progress in the development of 3 point and free-throw shooting during his period with Pelicans ... And he is playing more aggressively near the basket ... He deserves a contract, We have to sign him!

Quote Originally Posted by Creative View Post
    I think I saw enough ... Lonzo made big progress in the development of 3 point and free-throw shooting during his period with Pelicans ... And he is playing more aggressively near the basket ... He deserves a contract, We have to sign him!
    Go on...

Really have to resign Lonzo and maybe comeback this discussion when his value is at its highest at 25-26 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Really have to resign Lonzo and maybe comeback this discussion when his value is at its highest at 25-26 years old.
    When Zion's hit his max extension, we're completely capped out and have no flexibility, and have to attach assets to him to move him. Noice.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    When Zion's hit his max extension, we're completely capped out and have no flexibility, and have to attach assets to him to move him. Noice.
    Zion will still be on his rookie deal when Lonzo hits 25...

If Lonzo is $20 million. Matching becomes easier and possible a better crop of options then trying to bundle a bunch of guys to match a Superstar.

Also, I just don't see us hauling FA till we actually do. Till then, invest in your own guys.
    Last edited by Taker597; 03-03-2021 at 03:05 PM.

That is where lux tax comes in

So, in your view, there is no scenario where Ball actually could be a good player next to Zion? Noice.

Thread Information