Pelicans Report

Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Thread: You guys, I think we need to pay Lonzo

And ball has been completely different the last 5 weeks. Like the light switch has turned on. Better shooting, better defense. I mean, I was not a fan of his last season... he has converted me through his consistent improvement. I agree he isnt bi or zion but he is definitely getting his stuff together.

More evidence in support of the “pay Lonzo” camp:

https://sports.yahoo.com/lonzo-ball-...130054759.html

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    Honestly, I think we let him hit free agency with a rfa tender and see where it goes. I wouldnt be upset at a 3/60 deal.

I am more interested what we may or may not do with bledsoe and JJ at the deadline this season.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    I really don't understand how hard its for some of you to understand.

He wants the max and if he wants the max and BI got the max and Zion will get the max = cant have 3 guys on the roster with the max.
    Link? Where has it ever been reported that he wants the max? If that were the case, the decision would be very easy. He is clearly not a max player.

Yea I’m nearly certain that Zo never asked for a max

If they can’t get the money right, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see something like 2/50. Like I’ve said previously, they want to have clean books going into the 2023 season. I think they would be smart to line Lonzo’s contract up with Steven Adams’, and 42 million in expiring would give them a ton of flexibility in terms of trade filler.

From Lonzo’s perspective, he would get probably about 15 million more than he’s worth right now in order to sign a shorter deal. He would also be given the ability to bet on himself and prove his worth when he re-enters free agency in 2023. I honestly think he likes being here. I know he bought a house in the area and, while they never really got close, both sides did discuss an extension.

If Lonzo is a 40% from 3 guy on 7-10 attempts per game, he’s absolutely a fit on this team. The issue is Bled can’t be your point in that case. You need a guy who can make up for Lonzo’s deficiencies, which I think is Kira in a nutshell. We probably overreacted to his slow start from 3.

Yeah it's never been reported Zo wants the max

Lonzo is role player only. He's scared to take the big shot and shoots when he doesn't need to. Can't overpay for someone like that.

You absolutely pay Lonzo, and Hart, and build around that young core. Doesn't matter if this year isnt the year for a playoff run, next year may well be, and once we make some noise in the playoffs we'll be better positioned to get vet minimum signings from guys who can really add quality depth to the bench.

Lonzo is definitely not the problem.

Lonzo is NOT a max player.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Nobody is going to offer him a max.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    You absolutely pay Lonzo, and Hart, and build around that young core. Doesn't matter if this year isnt the year for a playoff run, next year may well be, and once we make some noise in the playoffs we'll be better positioned to get vet minimum signings from guys who can really add quality depth to the bench.

Lonzo is definitely not the problem.
    yep, pay Lonzo.
    Just another Kiwi basking in the reflected glory of Steven Adams....bask bask...

Lonzo has worked hard and his shot looks damn good now. I was driving the "trade Lonzo" bus but now I'd rather keep him at a reasonable cost. No he's not a max guy... I hope he doesn't want max or else Grif will have to trade him.

However comma... Bledsoe and JJ has to go.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Lonzo has worked hard and his shot looks damn good now. I was driving the "trade Lonzo" bus but now I'd rather keep him at a reasonable cost. No he's not a max guy... I hope he doesn't want max or else Grif will have to trade him.

However comma... Bledsoe and JJ has to go.
    I'm not sure how many times I'm going to have to say this before it sticks, but apparently it's at least once more.

I don't think anyone is against keeping Lonzo for 'a reasonable cost'. The problem is that what 'a reasonable cost' is depends entirely on what your projection of him in the future is. If you see him as a guaranteed superstar point guard then $25m a year is 'a reasonable cost': but in comparison, if you see him as an unreliably streaky shooting off-guard wing who is a good-but-not-exceptional defender, then $25m is a ridiculous overpay and $13-16m a year is a much more 'reasonable cost'.

I'm still in favour of trading Lonzo. Is that because I don't think he's played well over the last few weeks? No, of course not, his play this February has been much improved over early in the season and he's been productive on both ends. The reason I'm still in favour of moving him is that I think the contract he is going to demand is too rich for my blood, and leaving it until the end of the season to find out whether this current hot stretch continues for another 40 games or not is actively forfeiting the ability to get anything back for him if he demands too much cash or your gamble doesn't pay off. It's hugely high risk.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I'm not sure how many times I'm going to have to say this before it sticks, but apparently it's at least once more.

Maybe he thinks $20m is a reasonable cost? Why do you have to talk down to people? He didn't quote you. He specifically said, "he's not a max guy and if he thinks he is he will be traded."

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Why do you have to talk down to people?
    Because he's the forum's authority.
    Last edited by As I See It; 02-26-2021 at 12:13 PM.

Me personally, I see Lonzo as a decent complimentary piece, that has stretches of being an above average player and stretches of being a below average player. Inconsistent is his middle name. You don?t pay those guys elite money. Even 9 to 12 million would be too rich for my blood unless Lonzo shows he can be an above average 3&D guy for the rest of the season. If he cannot let him walk. IMO right now he is somewhere between a bi-annual and a mid level exception type player. BAE if he remains inconsistent; MLE if he shows consistently that he is a above average player, i.e. what he is showing right now.

I don?t really care if they trade him or keep him to the end of the year and let him walk if the price is too high.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Maybe he thinks $20m is a reasonable cost? Why do you have to talk down to people? He didn't quote you. He specifically said, "he's not a max guy and if he thinks he is he will be traded."
    Cause I'm sick of the framing being ''I'd rather keep him at a reasonable cost'', as if there is anyone that wouldn't rather keep him at a reasonable cost.

Is there anyone who, upon being told that Lonzo wants to stay at a cost they find reasonable, would not want to keep him? If Lonzo said he'd stay on the minimum, is there anyone who would say no?

When you say ''I'd rather keep him at a reasonable cost'' you're implying there are people out there who wouldn't. That's just not true.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Lonzo is gonna get a big contract. Four year 25 million dollar contract. How will y?all feel if he goes back to the Lakers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Lonzo is gonna get a big contract. Four year 25 million dollar contract. How will y?all feel if he goes back to the Lakers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If he goes back to the Lakers he's not getting a 4yr $25m a year contract. They don't have that cap space free, and it's not like they're going to be making trades this deadline to free up space for Lonzo in the summer when they're trying to win a ring right now.

Cause I'm sick of the framing being ''I'd rather keep him at a reasonable cost'', as if there is anyone that wouldn't rather keep him at a reasonable cost.

Is there anyone who, upon being told that Lonzo wants to stay at a cost they find reasonable, would not want to keep him? If Lonzo said he'd stay on the minimum, is there anyone who would say no?

When you say ''I'd rather keep him at a reasonable cost'' you're implying there are people out there who wouldn't. That's just not true.
    It’s okay for people to say they’d be willing to keep Lonzo at a reasonably cost if they are implying that that is the only way they are okay with keeping him. It basically implies they do not agree with an overpayment, not that people who would not want to keep him at a reasonable cost

I'm gonna throw this out into the ether and see how hard I get crushed or if it sticks, but what if our best Zo comp is Klay-lite. He'll obviously never be the mid-range shooter or pure 2 level scorer that Klay is, but Klay has never been the transition threat that Zo is.

Measurements:
    Ball-- 6'6 with a 6'9 wingspan. 190 pounds
    Thompson-- 6'7 with a 6'9 wingspan. 215 pounds. Was probably closer to 190 at age 23

Age 23 seasons:
    Ball-- 43/40/76 14.4 ppg, 7.7 3pa/g, 1.3 FTa/g, 4.2 rpg, 5.2 apg, 1.2 stl, 0.5 blk, .092 WS/48, 15.3 PER
    Klay-- 44/42/80 18.4 ppg, 6.6 3pa/g, 2.3 FTa/g, 3.1 rpg, 2.1 apg, 0.9 stl, 0.5 blk, .112 WS/48, 14.3 PER

I think Ball's defense if pretty similar to where Klay's was at 23, but Klay became basically elite defensively shortly after

Klay really made his leap in his year 24 season, so we'll see how Lonzo continues to develop; however, what we've see from Lonzo in the month of February could be a similar leap. I'm not saying it is, but it could be. What I think Lonzo's next progression will be is the ability to make difficult shots. I'm super confident at this point in his ability to make open or even somewhat guarded 3s, but when the game breaks down and he has someone in his grill, will he be able to rise and hit. He can't do that right now, it's as simple as that. If he develops that ability/confidence, there might actually be a special player in there. I'm not of the opinion that his ceiling is low.

But reasonable is different for different people.

Quote Originally Posted by Erose View Post
    Me personally, I see Lonzo as a decent complimentary piece, that has stretches of being an above average player and stretches of being a below average player. Inconsistent is his middle name. You don?t pay those guys elite money. Even 9 to 12 million would be too rich for my blood unless Lonzo shows he can be an above average 3&D guy for the rest of the season. If he cannot let him walk. IMO right now he is somewhere between a bi-annual and a mid level exception type player. BAE if he remains inconsistent; MLE if he shows consistently that he is a above average player, i.e. what he is showing right now.

I don?t really care if they trade him or keep him to the end of the year and let him walk if the price is too high.

$9-$12 million? There is absolutely no way you get a player like Ball for that. That is almost just MLE.

All you have is speculation on Lonzo eventually becoming a great player. There is no way in hell any club should pay someone off of speculation.

If some other club is willing to pay him $20 million, I say let him walk.

I would like to see if Lonzo can be a good player outside of February though. This month seems to be his month.

Thread Information