Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: January 27th - New Orleans Pelicans VS Washington Wizards - 5-10

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I'd basically say that our 2021 pick is off limits, but they can have something like
    2022 + Bucks 2024 + Bucks 2026 + Lakers pick of their choice.

Add in Lonzo and Redick, potentially Melli if we need it to match contracts. Obviously Melli sucks but he's not going there for player value he's going there for salary filler and expiring value.
    No chance they trade Beal to us without this years first. If we land him we’re a playoff team easily. They aren’t giving up the leading scorer in the NBA for some late firsts

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Lol you think they?re giving up Beal for late firsts? No, they?d want this years pick which will be top 5 and a bunch of protected firsts.
    How they gonna know it's late 1st when it's 3-5 years from now....

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    How they gonna know it's late 1st when it's 5 years from now....
    Giannis just signed the mega max, the Bucks will still be great in 5 years

They aren’t trading the leading scorer in the nba in his prime for some picks that “might” not end up as late firsts lol

Ingram is about 3-4 years from his prime and Zion is about 6-7. Yeah sure we would be a good team but Beal would be exiting his prime right around when Ingram starts his and before Zion even sniffs his. You?d give up this years first which has a good shot of possibly getting the #1 pick and getting Cade and getting to watch those 3 for the next 10 years?
    I guess only the Spurs can win chips before stars hit their prime.

Kind of wild, because It's really only the Spurs to do that.

When you have a coach like Pop and absolute studs like Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu you can, us, no.

This is absurd.

Beal is 27 right now. He probably has at least 5 good strong years left in him: that takes you basically through to the end of Zion's second contract.

He absolutely fits the timeline. We know we aren't a championship contender this year, or next year, but we should absolutely be a consistent playoff team within the next few seasons, and Beal completely fits that. Acting like we're only allowed to look at players 25 or under is ridiculous.

And yeah, you keep your picks, but you can't actually use all of them. No use having 13 first round picks in the next six years, it's not like you're going to turnover your entire roster annually to account for them all. Make sure you have at least one FRP for every draft but feel free to move swaps and duplicates to acquire sure fire talent.
    This!!!

No, shut up.

The rule is you have to stink until your stars are 26 and old enough to be annoyed about it, so that they can demand trades. If you're good by the time they're 25 then they might stick around and that's bad for the media who want them in LA and NYC.

God, how could you miss this?
    Basketball.

Giannis just signed the mega max, the Bucks will still be great in 5 years

They aren’t trading the leading scorer in the nba in his prime for some picks that “might” not end up as late firsts lol
    Super Max is gonna send Bucks into a rebuild sooner than later.

No, shut up.

The rule is you have to stink until your stars are 26 and old enough to be annoyed about it, so that they can demand trades. If you're good by the time they're 25 then they might stick around and that's bad for the media who want them in LA and NYC.

Lol ok let me get this straight, if you had Beal you would trade him for some future Bucks and Lakers picks?

No, shut up.

When you live in that cycle for 20 years as a fan. It just becomes a way of life.

I guess so, wonder why David Griffin hasn’t hopped all in on this trade yet.

Ingram is about 3-4 years from his prime and Zion is about 6-7. Yeah sure we would be a good team but Beal would be exiting his prime right around when Ingram starts his and before Zion even sniffs his. You?d give up this years first which has a good shot of possibly getting the #1 pick and getting Cade and getting to watch those 3 for the next 10 years?
    oof, hard disagree. We need vets, we need to establish a culture of winning for the young guys, Beal's still young, and we most likely would not be mortgaging our future to get him. Please don't overthink this.

Lol ok let me get this straight, if you had Beal you would trade him for some future Bucks and Lakers picks?
    It's call negotiating and a lot of luck to feed them the right bad picks that are out of the lottery. What seems like a good pick now will be different in 5 years.

While we’re at it let’s throw in some 2028 2030 and 2032 first rounders for Luka

I guess so, wonder why David Griffin hasn’t hopped all in on this trade yet.
    Exhibit A: Washington Wizard's Front Office

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    oof, hard disagree. We need vets, we need to establish a culture of winning for the young guys, Beal's still young, and we most likely would not be mortgaging our future to get him. Please don't overthink this.
    Not overthinking it, you make that trade and we’ll be a playoff team for a long time sure, but never win a championship IMO. I swing for the fences, try and get a stud in the draft and have an insane young big 3 core AND take the cash Beal would eat up and spend it on a star and have a big 4

Exhibit A: Washington Wizard's Front Office
    But it’s such a good deal that even they could see it.

They have Giannis until 2026 and Middleton until 2024, and will resign Jrue next year, they’re gonna be good for awhile

But it’s such a good deal that even they could see it.
    Compare to getting nothing and wasting a prime talent with nothing in return. That's for the Wizard Front office to see.

Not overthinking it, you make that trade and we’ll be a playoff team for a long time sure, but never win a championship IMO. I swing for the fences, try and get a stud in the draft and have an insane young big 3 core AND take the cash Beal would eat up and spend it on a star and have a big 4
    You make it sound so simple, I wonder why no other team has simply just done that.

You make it sound so simple, I wonder why no other team has simply just done that.
    Not simple, but the correct way to build. You still haven’t answered my question, if you had Beal you would trade him for the picks you suggested?

We already have 2 of those 3 pieces in Ingram and Zion
    Last edited by HornetGuru; 01-27-2021 at 11:08 PM.

Do I agree we need a good vet? Absolutely, but Beal isn’t a good vet, he’s a superstar and if you don’t think Beal, Ingram and Zion is a good enough trio to win a championship then why do it

Not simple, but the correct way to build. You still haven’t answered my question, if you had Beal you would trade him for the picks you suggested?

We already have 2 of those 3 pieces in Ingram and Zion
    ''We already have 2 of those 3 pieces in Ingram and Zion''

You described a big 4.

Anyway, you're missing out a ton of context. Would I trade Beal for those pieces if I had a good team where he was giving me value? No, I wouldn't. Would I trade him for 4 first round picks and a young player with name-value if I was the worst team in basketball, arguably for multiple years in a row, with relatively few assets to rebuild and a tortured cap sheet?

The answer to that is very different and could very plausibly be yes. Especially if I have any signs from him that he might be open to leaving.

''We already have 2 of those 3 pieces in Ingram and Zion''

You described a big 4.

Anyway, you're missing out a ton of context. Would I trade Beal for those pieces if I had a good team where he was giving me value? No, I wouldn't. Would I trade him for 4 first round picks and a young player with name-value if I was the worst team in basketball, arguably for multiple years in a row, with relatively few assets to rebuild and a tortured cap sheet?

The answer to that is very different and could very plausibly be yes. Especially if I have any signs from him that he might be open to leaving.
    Yes, the 3rd piece would be if we lucked out in the draft, and the fourth was just signing someone with the extra cap so highly attainable.

And in the NBA 4 quarters doesn’t equal a dollar. If the warriors offered their 1st this year and the their 2023 first it’s a much better deal for the wizards. What I’m saying is without including our first round pick this year other teams could offer better deals, no way they make the trade. If we do then sure but I probably wouldn’t want to

Yes, the 3rd piece would be if we lucked out in the draft, and the fourth was just signing someone with the extra cap so highly attainable.

And in the NBA 4 quarters doesn’t equal a dollar. If the warriors offered their 1st this year and the their 2023 first it’s a much better deal for the wizards. What I’m saying is without including our first round pick this year other teams could offer better deals, no way they make the trade. If we do then sure but I probably wouldn’t want to
    The question is whether or not anyone will or can match that.

Remember, https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/sto...pick-right-now
    Most teams can't trade their first rounder this year, so us putting ours off limits wouldn't put us at any disadvantage.

Then you have to think about most of the teams who do have high value firsts: most of them also suck and have very little inclination to trade their firsts because they don't put the same value on Beal that a team which is bordering good does. We know Beal doesn't make a zero a hero, because we've watched him fail to do that in Washington for years, so there's little incentive for a team that is complete garbage and several pieces away to move much to get him.

By contrast, while we're several pieces away defensively, it's easy to see how a shooter and off-ball scorer like Beal could be the perfect key for the lock the Pelicans have felt at times offensively over the last several years, let alone now. The fit is just too obvious, and because we would still have assets even after off-loading to get Beal we would be one of the few teams both able and willing to give up large quantities of material to get him.

Thread Information