Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: January 29th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Milwaukee Bucks - 6-10

Pelicans January 29th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Milwaukee Bucks - 6-10

The first of our back-to-back to close the month, the New Orleans Pelicans take on the 11-6 Milwaukee Bucks, who are currently 2nd in the East.

Right now, the Bucks are the Number 1 offense in the NBA and the 8th best defense. They are 2nd in the league in FG%, 4th in 3pt%, 2nd in rebounding, 5th in assists, and in the better half of the league in terms of turnovers.

They are led by 2x MVP Giannis Antetokoumnpo, who isn't getting MVP buzz so far this year despite the good record and maintaining incredible averages of 27/11/6, a fact which must be partly the result of voter fatigue. Khris Middleton is also there, putting up 22/6/6 on 51/44/93 splits which is always incredible to see: he only missed out on a 50/40/90 season last year by 0.03% of FG%.

And of course, most significantly for us, this game means the return of Jrue Holiday, one of the greatest Pelicans ever. In Milwaukee, Jrue is averaging 16/5/5 on 48/36/82 splits and playing hellacious defense in only 32 minutes per game, the lowest he's had to play in years. He's been great there, and it's fantastic to see him thriving: I just hope that he doesn't thrive too much in this game.

Milwaukee are really good. It would be easy to lose this even if we were playing well: that said, it's also clear they have benefited from an easy schedule this far. Their 11 wins include multiple matchups against Detroit, Atlanta, Orlando, Chicago, and Toronto. While some of those teams have been better than expected and some of them are even bordering good, it's clear that the schedule for Milwaukee so far has been far from harsh.

Lonzo is questionable for this game.

I would love to see us pick up a win here, but I understand if we don't get it. The more important thing is attitude. Positivity, effort, and grit needs to be the focus of the day: anything less will suck.
    Basketball.

Giannis is probably the only player that has pretty much owned Zion defensively. He's strong enough that Zion can't completely overpower him, tall enough to make it difficult for Zion to go over, and athletic enough to stay in front of Zion's drives. Jrue is probably going to be used to shut down Beldsoe.

Which means we're going to need BI to have a big game and probably for NAW to step up as well if we're going to have a chance.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    We are gonna get worked. I'll still watch it to see if Kira and NAW get some run, but otherwise this one might get ugly, especially if we JJ or Melli in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    Giannis is probably the only player that has pretty much owned Zion defensively. He's strong enough that Zion can't completely overpower him, tall enough to make it difficult for Zion to go over, and athletic enough to stay in front of Zion's drives. Jrue is probably going to be used to shut down Beldsoe.

Which means we're going to need BI to have a big game and probably for NAW to step up as well if we're going to have a chance.
    If Middleton gets hot again like he did in the preseason game, it will get ugly quick.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar

His only way is to get momentum. Giannis is strong but Zion is still way beefier with a lower center of gravity. Physics always wins. If he gets any kind of momentum, Giannis can’t deny him but to try and poke the ball free or get vertical and meet the ball at the rim. So we’ll need to iso or get Zion on moving handoffs, rolling to the rim, or straight up top of the key or high post or wing iso.

Owned Zion? Maybe we watched a different game, and they only played each other once.

In that one game it was the combination of the Bucks total length including Lopez that gave Zion some trouble. Yet Zion still got to the FT line 14 times. Both Lopez and Giannis had 4 fouls each.

Then there was that instance where Zion just ripped the ball away from Giannis and got one of those 4 fouls from him.

So if getting 14 attempts at the free throw line and getting their Lopez/Giannis in foul trouble is getting owned I'll take that again.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Owned Zion? Maybe we watched a different game, and they only played each other once.

In that one game it was the combination of the Bucks total length including Lopez that gave Zion some trouble. Yet Zion still got to the FT line 14 times. Both Lopez and Giannis had 4 fouls each.

Then there was that instance where Zion just ripped the ball away from Giannis and got one of those 4 fouls from him.

So if getting 14 attempts at the free throw line and getting their Lopez/Giannis in foul trouble is getting owned I'll take that again.
    Zion was 5-19 shooting with 4 turnovers, so I am sure that is what the comment was about.

L0L Ball coming out chucking

Lonzo is aweful at putting the ball through the orange circular thing

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Why does Lonzo play like he has Ingram's scoring ability?

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

I don't want to live on this planet anymore while Lonzo is still on the Pels

Lonzo sucks, man.

On the other hand, good activity from Zion early and some nice passing.

Love Bledsoe’s spot up shooting

Jesus Christ Giannis palms the ball with every dribble

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    LOLNZO has to go

BI is in a groove. Love to see it.

Lonzo is 1/6 in 6 minutes.

How do you even do that

Just when I start to think a possible top 5 pick, we look outstanding. This team has too much talent to be 2nd to last in the West. Can’t wait to see what we look like after we move Lonzo & JJ. Get NAW & Kira more minutes.

Well, I'll take a few more quarters like that please.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Lonzo is 1/6 in 6 minutes.

How do you even do that
    Lonzo = GOAT

Think Zion can get an all star nod if he’s not voted as a starter?

Don't tease me like this Pels.

These refs

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Lonzo = GOAT
    Lonzo enters a game:

It's honestly amazing that he has a reputation as a pass-first point guard when he's actually extremely happy to chuck seemingly at any moment.

So, Zion getting charge fouls for laziest charge takes on clear blocking fouls now. Okay cool.

The Franchise
    That was beautiful Mr Zion..

Thread Information