Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: January 25th - New Orleans Pelicans vs San Antonio Spurs - 5-10

Pelicans January 25th - New Orleans Pelicans vs San Antonio Spurs - 5-10

Sigh well, here we go again.

After a hellish road trip that resulted in us getting crushed multiple times including a frankly pathetic loss to Minnesota only days ago, the Pelicans return home to the Smoothie King Centre in the hopes of picking up a win or two. We have won 2 games so far this month, and only 1 in the last 3 weeks, so we're in need.

Tonight's game is against the San Antonio Spurs who, as I write this, are currently playing against the Wizards: that means we play them on the second night of a back to back, which should theoretically be in our favour although it didn't seem to help much against the Wolves.

I'm not going to ramble on about how much we need this. We play the Spurs then the Wizards before we go back to back against Milwaukee and Houston: if we don't pick up a win here, we could easily be on the path to 6-13, which is one of those holes that might be simply too large to climb out of in any plausible manner. We need a win here, and a win against Washington.

Let's cross our fingers and hope people show up this time. Can't just be Zion and 2 quarters of Ingram this time.
    Basketball.

Just a note, for those who are interested: over the last 10 games, Zion is shooting 73% from the FT line. So that improvement is looking more and more like it might be a thing. This includes going 24/30 over the last 4 games, for 80%.

This has to be the game SVG makes a lineup change. At the very least to back up his word that he's willing to bench guys who don't play correctly.

The only excuse for him to start Ball is we are looking to trade him and put him in the window (which we are). That’s still not a very good excuse to block Kira and Naw from getting minutes. Hopefully that is rectified tonight. Ball just isn’t doing us any favors with his play right now.

I just wanna see a

Kira naw Ingram Zion Adams starting lineup for 1 game

We can always sign Jimmertime if JJ wants out.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    I just wanna see a

Kira naw Ingram Zion Adams starting lineup for 1 game
    Might need to wait until next year to see that. Hopefully we get it this year though...

I’m with all of you guys honestly. I wish we had the patience to do an actual rebuild instead of forcing this playoff now narrative that just never turns out to be realistic. I can get on board with Adams (even if I think we slightly overpaid) and signing short term bros like JJ to bring in veteran presence. I do however wish Stan had the balls to scrap the seniority rules mantra when ish hits the fan. It’s as if we never see the big picture and it’s a big reason AD bounced.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    The only excuse for him to start Ball is we are looking to trade him and put him in the window (which we are). That’s still not a very good excuse to block Kira and Naw from getting minutes. Hopefully that is rectified tonight. Ball just isn’t doing us any favors with his play right now.
    If that was our intention... We should of traded him before the season started

I have accelerated through the 7 stages and arrived at acceptance just a month into the season. The Pels are an abject lesson in the suffering that comes from desire. Do I think that with a young all-star, a generational young talent, several experienced role players and a coach with a reputation for putting teams on the floor with tenacity and desire we should be better than this? I do. I really, really do. And worse, I hoped.

Yet we remain more or less what we have been. At least for now. I don't pretend to know what currents move teams to start playing better. We went about as low as you can go in the NBA last season and then, for some reason, began to play pretty well. Of course, Zion's return helped that turn around, as did the return of Favors, but it was still fairly dramatic. What worries me about this year's squad is that we are this bad and we haven't even been hit by the annual injury bug or Covid outbreak. I'd say knock on wood but, eh, I'm a little past caring atm. They'll get better or they won't. They make over the roster or they won't. Whatever. The only thing I resent is when the organization goes out and says it is trying to be competitive but behind closed doors really doesn't care. That's dishonest and makes your fan base feel burned. I really faulted Dell for giving fans the silent treatment when things went badly (scouting in Europe!) and I hoped (there it is again) that Griffin would be much more forthcoming and communicative. So far, he really hasn't been. And that's legit disappointing at least to this long term fan and ticket buyer.

I?m with all of you guys honestly. I wish we had the patience to do an actual rebuild instead of forcing this playoff now narrative that just never turns out to be realistic. I can get on board with Adams (even if I think we slightly overpaid) and signing short term bros like JJ to bring in veteran presence. I do however wish Stan had the balls to scrap the seniority rules mantra when ish hits the fan. It?s as if we never see the big picture and it?s a big reason AD bounced.
    But we are doing an actual rebuild. Do you not remember 7 straight years of trading 1st round picks to compete for an 8th seed spot?

I get that we are talking about a narrative, but not actualization of what's really happening.. The team is clearly making moves to do the best to compete, but really stealth tanking to a high degree with taking on Bledsoe and not making any worthwhile moves that cost high value long term assets.

I do get tired of playoffs or bust narrative, but the team is 100% not acting in that manor at all to be honest. They really spent the past off season mostly course correcting a lot from the disastrous 2019 off season and they really weren't aggressive at all this off season.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    But we are doing an actual rebuild. Do you not remember 7 straight years of trading 1st round picks to compete for an 8th seed spot?

I get that we are talking about a narrative, but not actualization of what's really happening.. The team is clearly making moves to do the best to compete, but really stealth tanking to a high degree with taking on Bledsoe and not making any worthwhile moves that cost high value long term assets.

I do get tired of playoffs or bust narrative, but the team is 100% not acting in that manor at all to be honest. They really spent the past off season mostly course correcting a lot from the disastrous 2019 off season and they really weren't aggressive at all this off season.
    I’m don’t think I even mentioned tanking in my post though. I meant giving time to youngsters when it is appropriate and even at this point in time we are opting for the likes of Lonzo and JJ over Kira and Nickeil. That is something that needs to be addressed.

And by full rebuild, I mean actually developing your talent as opposed to gifting minutes to useless expirings that won’t be here next season.

The only excuse for him to start Ball is we are looking to trade him and put him in the window (which we are).
    The problem with that is the more Ball plays... the more his trade value swirls around the toilet.

And by full rebuild, I mean actually developing your talent as opposed to gifting minutes to useless expirings that won’t be here next season.
    Yassss... That's incredibly frustrating, and I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    The problem with that is the more Ball plays... the more his trade value swirls around the toilet.
    Agreed. I can understand why Bledsoe is playing (as much as it pains me to say it), but Lonzo is tanking his value when he plays. If we were trying to show him off, Bledsoe if far from the ideal partner in the backcourt as they are both horrendous half-court playmakers.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    At this point... It's in the septic tank.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    postponed. UGH

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Give us more practice time.

Interesting little tid-bit.

No more scheduling 2 week road trips?

Career Numbers through 38 games:

Zion Williamson: 22.8ppg, 6.8rpg, 2.0apg. 58.1% FG%, 36.8% from 3*, 65.0% FT. +2.0 BPM. Record: 16-22
    Kevin Durant: 19.8ppg, 4.3rpg, 2.2apg. 40.5% FG%, 29.9% from 3, 86.8% FT. -8.6 BPM. Record: 9-29
    Lebron James: 19.9ppg, 5.8rpg, 6.3apg. 41.7% FG%, 26% from 3, 76.3% FT. -2.4 BPM. Record: 12-26
    Steph Curry: 12.6ppg, 3.7rpg, 4.4apg. 45.8% FG%, 42.7% from 3, 84.1% FT. -3.6 BPM. Record: 11-27
    Nikola Jokic: 8.5ppg, 5.6rpg, 1.7apg. 54.3%FG, 36.4% from 3*, 78.2% FT. +1.6 BPM. Record: 13-25 [only 18mpg]
    Michael Jordan: 26.3ppg, 5.3rpg, 5.0apg. 51.2%FG, 16.6% from 3*, 83.7%FT. BPM unavailable. Record: 19-19

Just giving a comparison there of what some present day greats (and of course, a classic great) looked like in the metrics after 38 games. Zion is, of course, younger than most of them were at that point as well: Jokic was older in his first game than Zion is now, for example, and Michael Jordan didn't join the NBA until he was already nearly 22 (21yrs, 252 days in his first game).

So Zion's scoring, rebounding, and even assist numbers are actually pretty strong among that field. Obviously his FG% stands out as well, and he actually has the best BPM among guys whose BPM we have (MJs wasn't available, but I would guess his was better). 16-22 record actually pretty strong, compared to the records of these other great players at a similar career point.

You can decide for yourself if this means anything, I just thought it was neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Career Numbers through 38 games:

Zion Williamson: 22.8ppg, 6.8rpg, 2.0apg. 58.1% FG%, 36.8% from 3*, 65.0% FT. +2.0 BPM. Record: 16-22
    Kevin Durant: 19.8ppg, 4.3rpg, 2.2apg. 40.5% FG%, 29.9% from 3, 86.8% FT. -8.6 BPM. Record: 9-29
    Lebron James: 19.9ppg, 5.8rpg, 6.3apg. 41.7% FG%, 26% from 3, 76.3% FT. -2.4 BPM. Record: 12-26
    Steph Curry: 12.6ppg, 3.7rpg, 4.4apg. 45.8% FG%, 42.7% from 3, 84.1% FT. -3.6 BPM. Record: 11-27
    Nikola Jokic: 8.5ppg, 5.6rpg, 1.7apg. 54.3%FG, 36.4% from 3*, 78.2% FT. +1.6 BPM. Record: 13-25 [only 18mpg]
    Michael Jordan: 26.3ppg, 5.3rpg, 5.0apg. 51.2%FG, 16.6% from 3*, 83.7%FT. BPM unavailable. Record: 19-19

Just giving a comparison there of what some present day greats (and of course, a classic great) looked like in the metrics after 38 games. Zion is, of course, younger than most of them were at that point as well: Jokic was older in his first game than Zion is now, for example, and Michael Jordan didn't join the NBA until he was already nearly 22 (21yrs, 252 days in his first game).

So Zion's scoring, rebounding, and even assist numbers are actually pretty strong among that field. Obviously his FG% stands out as well, and he actually has the best BPM among guys whose BPM we have (MJs wasn't available, but I would guess his was better). 16-22 record actually pretty strong, compared to the records of these other great players at a similar career point.

You can decide for yourself if this means anything, I just thought it was neat.
    I've decided. This is like reading a classic where all the odd pages are blank, To read these incredible stats, you would think that basketball is like American Football, where players only play one side of the ball.

Thread Information