Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: January 25th - New Orleans Pelicans vs San Antonio Spurs - 5-10

I'll just add Anthony Davis first 38 in the same format since most of us witnessed all of those:

AD: 12.6 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 0.8 apg, 52% fg%, 0% 3pt %, 70.8% ft%, -2.4 +/-, 14-24 record, 1.8 blk, 1.2 stl, 91 pace

I added pace because obviously that will inflate numbers a bit in this current era. Zion's pace has been around 105 ish. But I'm sure per possession would still be vastly in Zion's favor on the offensive side of the ball.
    Last edited by luckyman; 01-26-2021 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I've decided. This is like reading a classic where all the odd pages are blank, To read these incredible stats, you would think that basketball is like American Football, where players only play one side of the ball.
    If you think rookie Jokic or Curry were incredible defenders I would urge you to go back and rewatch them play lmao
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I'll just add Anthony Davis first 38 in the same format since most of us witnessed all of those:

AD: 12.6 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 0.8 apg, 52% fg%, 0% 3pt %, 70.8% ft%, -2.4 +/-, 14-24 record, 1.8 blk, 1.2 stl, 91 pace

I added pace because obviously that will inflate numbers a bit in this current era. Zion's pace has been around 105 ish. But I'm sure per possession would still be vastly in Zion's favor on the offensive side of the ball.
    If you want to normalise for pace, using per 100 possession stats is a good way to do it. You're right that today's pace is a bit higher than it was, say, 10 years ago: it's also true that it's slower than it was in the 60s, 70s, and early 80s. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to pull up per 100 stats for only a certain portion of a season in order to find it for 38 games of play. If anyone else knows, they can feel free to add.

Fun fact: Pace is how you get stuff like Wilt averaging 50 for a season. The year he did that, the Philadelphia Warriors had a pace of 131.1. So far this season, for comparison, the fastest team is the Wizards, and they only play at about 105: we play at about 98.8, and last season we played at around 103. They were so fast back then, guys like Wilt were getting so many more possessions to shoot on than today's stars, or stars of the 90s.

For comparison, Wilt in his 50-per-game season only averaged about 38 points per 100, which is still great, but is much more in line with what other great scorers produce today: per 100, Bradley Beal is averaging 44 points for example, and averaged 39 last year. Jordan averaged more than 38 points per 100 for 10 different seasons, and Lebron has done it 4 times as well.

Of course, we'll never get to see how Wilt would have looked in a slower era, or whether these guys would really scale up in a faster one, but it's worth noting as a historical curiosity.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 01-26-2021 at 02:19 AM.

What do y’all think of Jimmer’s 70? Real or propaganda? I think it is real.

Game Wednesday still on or does COVID not want to see that either?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    If you think rookie Jokic or Curry were incredible defenders I would urge you to go back and rewatch them play lmao
    And this somehow defends and normalizes Zion's disastrous defensive showing? LMAO

You sound like an underaged teenager who gets caught drinking beer: "Come on, officer, all teenagers do." SMH

I will say this, without reservation, on your behalf; you are quite a good apologist for Mr. Williamson."
    Last edited by As I See It; 01-26-2021 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    If you want to normalise for pace, using per 100 possession stats is a good way to do it. You're right that today's pace is a bit higher than it was, say, 10 years ago: it's also true that it's slower than it was in the 60s, 70s, and early 80s. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to pull up per 100 stats for only a certain portion of a season in order to find it for 38 games of play. If anyone else knows, they can feel free to add.
    As far as I know most "per possession" stats, as I mentioned, are per 100, so it goes without saying.

And I too, do not have the energy to dig all that up. But again, I think we all know the outcome will be Zion >> AD offensively in this time frame. At that point in his career, AD was pretty much 100% assisted or a clean up man. Zion is far advanced in his offensive arsenal regardless of the extra possessions in his favor.

And I believe there is some documentary that touches on the pace they played at in the 60s. But as far as scoring comparisons you'd also have to account for the fact they had no 3 point line. Not that Wilt would have shot any.
    Last edited by luckyman; 01-26-2021 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    As far as I know most "per possession" stats, as I mentioned, are per 100, so it goes without saying.

And I too, do not have the energy to dig all that up. But again, I think we all know the outcome will be Zion >> AD offensively in this time frame. At that point in his career, AD was pretty much 100% assisted or a clean up man. Zion is far advanced in his offensive arsenal regardless of the extra possessions in his favor.

And I believe there is some documentary that touches on the pace they played at in the 60s. But as far as scoring comparisons you'd also have to account for the fact they had no 3 point line. Not that Wilt would have shot any.
    Yeah, it's extremely difficult to compare eras in general, but particularly for the pre 3pt line era. Someone like Wilt wouldn't have been shooting threes, you're right, but someone like Jerry West probably would have and it's hard to estimate that kind of thing today.

Some people have taken to using per 75 figured because 75 possessions more roughly estimates the number of plays the average star plays in a modern NBA game, whereas 100 possessions is more like the total number in an average game.

And yeah, Zions far more developed offensively than early career AD was. It took AD years before he really added any passing game, for example.

Thread Information