Pelicans Report

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11

Thread: January 23rd - New Orleans Pelicans @ Minnesota Timberwolves - 5-9

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    It?s not about being right. I?m chill because apparently nothing is to be done for a bit. I doubt we trade Lonzo. I doubt we make any personnel change. So I?m just in a mental holding pattern until the next interesting thing happens.
    If it makes you feel better, we are trying to trade Lonzo. Pretty hard, actually
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    If it makes you feel better, we are trying to trade Lonzo. Pretty hard, actually
    I heard the same thing. In fact one rumor is assumed to be a done deal if we include JAX in a multi-player deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    We slated to win the lottery last year and ended up at 13th. Don't expect us to stay when other teams commit to tanking and we are masochistic as we can get. No playoffs or top pick by winning pointless games.
    We weren't slated to win the lottery last year? We were projected at going 13th, and that's what we got.

The team that's slated to win the lottery is the one with the worst record in the NBA. We did not have that.
    Basketball.

We slated to win the lottery last year and ended up at 13th. Don't expect us to stay when other teams commit to tanking and we are masochistic as we can get. No playoffs or top pick by winning pointless games.
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    What?
    AT 6-26.

I know everyone wants to forget about it.

AT 6-26.

Nah it's not wanting to forget about it, I just didn't realise you were talking about our position circa December 2019, given that we're in late January 2021 now.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    A little bit, but I'm still kinda chilling out in a fandom fugue state as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by Wecandothis View Post
    Losing to the Twolves without KAT and Dlo has to be the seasons lowest point. Looking at the Pels the most glaring problem is other than NAW they literally have no bench. Melli, Hayes, Hart and JJ are not giving you much of anything. Kira has shown some promise but SVG refuses to play him. The starting lineup already has bad chemistry and there is no bench support.
    It's not just a bench problem since Jax has played well and for the most part Hart has done what he does. The main bench issue is JJ. He's just a chucking black hole now that treats every offensive touch like there are 2 seconds remaining on the shot clock.

Overall, SVG is losing this team. They are just breaking down on every fundamental there is. They are ball watching, over helping, not boxing out, lazy passes, unforced dumb turnovers, and bad shot selection. Defensively, they also leap at EVERY jump shot. What are they teaching in practice??

It is just an overall **** storm right now. I still think you'd see massive cohesion and improvement if you simply replace Lonzo with NAW or even JJ. Lonzo needs to be demoted to a legitimate 15 - 20 min per night bench role and things would suddenly look better. At least against teams they should beat.
    Last edited by luckyman; 01-24-2021 at 09:59 PM.

What's your betting odds Lonzo is still a Pelican March 1st?
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    What's your betting odds Lonzo is still a Pelican March 1st?
    He can't be, management has to change the narrative. There are too many reputations on the line and the fragile egos that they belong to. Something's got to be done even if it's wrong...and that's what I fear most.

I wouldn't be so quick to move some of our assets simply to move Lonzo if the return was just some mid-level re-tread with a big number for multiple years. And for Gawd's sake, no Asik's please!! At this point, two #2's and he's your problem. Otherwise let him be an assistant coach for the remainder of the season and walk at the end of the year.

AT 6-26.

Didn’t forget, it’s just not logical lol

Lol @ not taking Hunter

But phew, we jettisoned Solo to get JJ

The rebuild was over before it began, folks

Although, if we get that top 3 pick

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Lol @ not taking Hunter

But phew, we jettisoned Solo to get JJ

The rebuild was over before it began, folks

Although, if we get that top 3 pick
    Can't say that I disagree with you on either. I do see a higher ceiling for JAX than Hunter and NAW will be a solid bench jockey, but at this point it's all conjecture...if's and maybe's. JJ's true value to the team is what we can get for him at this year's trade deadline, otherwise yes. he's just gotten in the way, impeding NAW's development.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Didn’t forget, it’s just not logical lol
    It's pretty logical. We are already talking about top lottery pick after starting just 5-10. 6-26 wasn't 5 years ago. It was just last season.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I heard the same thing. In fact one rumor is assumed to be a done deal if we include JAX in a multi-player deal.
    Where's you see that rumor? Did it speculate on what/who we were targeting?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    It's not just a bench problem since Jax has played well and for the most part Hart has done what he does. The main bench issue is JJ. He's just a chucking black hole now that treats every offensive touch like there are 2 seconds remaining on the shot clock.

Overall, SVG is losing this team. They are just breaking down on every fundamental there is. They are ball watching, over helping, not boxing out, lazy passes, unforced dumb turnovers, and bad shot selection. Defensively, they also leap at EVERY jump shot. What are they teaching in practice??

It is just an overall **** storm right now. I still think you'd see massive cohesion and improvement if you simply replace Lonzo with NAW or even JJ. Lonzo needs to be demoted to a legitimate 15 - 20 min per night bench role and things would suddenly look better. At least against teams they should beat.
    I was going to correct you that Hart was shooting worse than last year, but I looked it up and he's not. He's shooting about the same percentages as he did last year (maybe a tad higher). I suppose because the team's getting less shots up than I'm used to makes me think they aren't being as effecient as last year. It just turns out a lot of the guys weren't very offensively effecient last year, but I guess our faster pace disguised it a bit.

I 100% agree with you about what a cluster they are both defensively and offensively. They're over helping to keep guys out of the paint, which means they are out of position on a lot of three point shooters, so they then have to overadust to get to the shooter which makes them launch themselves. Which lets the shooter drive to the basket which makes them overhelp even more... a real vicious circle on defense.

On offense, as much of a non structured offense we had last year, it seemed that we at least moved the ball a lot more. Now we're just taking turns letting BI and Zion or even Ball play ISO without any shooting to help them out.

I gues what I'm afraid of is that our problems go way beyond just Lonzo Ball, who probably won't be here anyway next year. Perhaps all the naysayers about the fit with Zion and Adams were right. Adams is a good defender in the post but not a great defender on the perimeter. Zion is a lousy defender in the post and in the perimeter. Adams' has to help out on Zion's guy a lot which puts Adams in a bad spot defensively even in the post where we should have an advantage.

And on offense it's not a great fit either. Zion is just riciculously effecient at scoring in the paint even when he's having to score routinely over or around three defenders to do so.
    Last edited by Freyfamilyreuni; 01-25-2021 at 11:05 AM.

Any idea whether they are simply looking for a team to dump his salary to or if they feel he could bring some assets (i.e. a young player or a heavily protected 1st)?

Thread Information