Pelicans Report

Thread: Zion's poster - was it a travel?

Zion's poster - was it a travel?

https://streamable.com/m96vqi

The main argument is that he shuffled his pivot foot at the start of the move

I unequivocally say it wasn't a travel

Yeah I can't see why you would call this a travel at all.
    Basketball.

Strictly speaking, it is a travel unless his right foot was grounded when he gathered the ball

In starting a dribble after (1) receiving the ball while standing still, or (2) coming to a legal stop, the ball must be out of the player’s hand before the pivot foot is raised off the floor.
    It's one of the least egregious travels you could think of, though

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Strictly speaking, it is a travel unless his right foot was grounded when he gathered the ball

It's one of the least egregious travels you could think of, though
    You would be stretching the bounds of everyone's patience if you called that a travel. Even the criteria for ''strictly speaking'' aren't quite there: it doesn't look to me like his right foot comes up until the ball is already in motion; it's the same reason how you can legally dribble the ball once and take 50 steps before dribbling again as long as you don't gather the ball in between.

If you called this a travel, even if I were being generous and saying you were technically right (which, again, I don't know if you are), you'd have to call so much stuff travelling that it would make the game unplayable. It's kind of like palming rules. Like yes, if you call them precisely to the letter, a ton of players for the last 30 years have palmed regularly: but it's so regularly that just casual dribbling that doesn't even gain any advantage would have to be called as well, to the point that everyone would have 20 turnovers a game from palming violations and it would be impossible to watch, play, or officiate.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    You would be stretching the bounds of everyone's patience if you called that a travel. Even the criteria for ''strictly speaking'' aren't quite there: it doesn't look to me like his right foot comes up until the ball is already in motion; it's the same reason how you can legally dribble the ball once and take 50 steps before dribbling again as long as you don't gather the ball in between.

If you called this a travel, even if I were being generous and saying you were technically right (which, again, I don't know if you are), you'd have to call so much stuff travelling that it would make the game unplayable. It's kind of like palming rules. Like yes, if you call them precisely to the letter, a ton of players for the last 30 years have palmed regularly: but it's so regularly that just casual dribbling that doesn't even gain any advantage would have to be called as well, to the point that everyone would have 20 turnovers a game from palming violations and it would be impossible to watch, play, or officiate.
    That's why I said it was one of the least egregious ones you could think of

If his left foot was indeed the pivot foot, he technically should have put ball to floor before lifting said foot

But there's like millimetres in it

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    Struggling to keep up with the technicalities of Basketball?

Kind of crazy opponents havent figured out the hard jab right attack left Zion move yet. Dude is unstoppable.
    SIGN A SF

Dude, he didn't travel. Pointless thread.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    if that was true, he would make a really good NBA referee...
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Thread Information