Thread: January 17th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Sacramento Kings - 4-7

More Jaxson Hayes info:

And a little on Zion:

Basketball.

Hayes seems to be learning from Adams. Good things

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Impossible, Hayes sucks they say

Stats per 100

Jaxson Hayes 2019-20: 20.2pts, 11.1rbds, 2.4asts, 1.1stls, 2.4blks. 68.9%TS (67.2%FG/64.7%FT)
    Jaxson Hayes 2020-21: 16.4pts, 17.8rbds, 2.4asts, 0.7stls, 2.1blks. 61.1%TS (55.9%FG/83.3%FT)

Foul rate is exactly identical, at 6.9 per 100 in each season.

So you can see, the efficiency from the floor is down a bit which is largely led by him shooting 33.3% over the first 5 games (he's been 60.7% from the floor since then) but the FT% is way up. So far this season he's 10/12 from the FT line, which is definitely low volume but still a good sign in terms of efficiency. I'd like to see his FTr increase: it was an astronomical 75.3% last year, and while I don't expect that this year, the drop to 35.3% is pretty huge. If he could scrape it up to 40% that would be great although of course, it's largely up to the refs which calls you get.

The rebounding increase is substantial though, and significant.

Stats per 100

Jaxson Hayes 2019-20: 20.2pts, 11.1rbds, 2.4asts, 1.1stls, 2.4blks. 68.9%TS (67.2%FG/64.7%FT)
    Jaxson Hayes 2020-21: 16.4pts, 17.8rbds, 2.4asts, 0.7stls, 2.1blks. 61.1%TS (55.9%FG/83.3%FT)

Foul rate is exactly identical, at 6.9 per 100 in each season.

So you can see, the efficiency from the floor is down a bit which is largely led by him shooting 33.3% over the first 5 games (he's been 60.7% from the floor since then) but the FT% is way up. So far this season he's 10/12 from the FT line, which is definitely low volume but still a good sign in terms of efficiency. I'd like to see his FTr increase: it was an astronomical 75.3% last year, and while I don't expect that this year, the drop to 35.3% is pretty huge. If he could scrape it up to 40% that would be great although of course, it's largely up to the refs which calls you get.

The rebounding increase is substantial though, and significant.
    Over the last few games. The offense has been much better at using our bigs down low.

I remember saying that Adam needs atleast 10 FGA per gane to not shrink the floor on Zion and Ingram. He's been consistently getting 7 and 8. Over the last three games. Hayes been getting those looks too. He's avaging 5.6 per game.

Our bigs getting 13-15 FGA game is a good soft goal to get every game.

The best philosophy to teach is too always keep the floor frok shrinking and we have a big problem with that with Ingram ISO.
    Last edited by Taker597; 01-18-2021 at 06:37 PM.

Pelicans players points per shot so far this season:

Zion:
    At-Rim: 1.29 (77/119)
    Midrange: 1.00 (16/32)
    3PT: 0.00 (0/1)

Ingram:
    At-Rim: 1.21 (17/28)
    Midrange: 0.98 (48/98)
    3PT: 1.08 (23/64)

Lonzo:
    At-Rim: 1.38 (11/16)
    Midrange: 0.63 (6/19)
    3PT: 0.95 (19/60)

Adams:
    At-Rim: 1.42 (39/55)
    Midrange: 0.94 (8/17)
    3PT: 0.00 (0/0)

Eric Bledsoe:
    At-Rim: 1.43 (15/21)
    Midrange: 0.76 (11/29)
    3PT: 1.28 (20/47)

NAW:
    At-Rim: 1.15 (15/26)
    Midrange: 1.00 (14/28)
    3PT: 1.15 (15/39)

Jax:
    At-Rim: 1.04 (13/25)
    Midrange: 1.33 (4/6)
    3PT: 0.00 (0/0)

Redick:
    At Rim: 1.00 (1/2)
    Midrange: 0.8 (8/20)
    3PT: 1.05 (21/60)

Hart:
    At-Rim: 1.41 (12/17)
    Midrange: 0.67 (3/9)
    3PT: 0.93 (14/45)

Just thought there's some interesting numbers in here. There are some that might look surprising at first glance, like Lonzo's high at-rim PPS, but that makes more sense when you look at how low the frequency is: of course he's generally efficient at the rim, he barely ever gets there. When he does they're usually just straight lay ins. More common is for him to do the weird stiff-arm floater that counts as a midranger in this data, and as you can see, Lonzo from midrange is basically the worst shot anyone on this team takes.

You can see Jax's midrange game: super low volume, but so far he hits them when he takes them.
    You can see Redick's 3pt struggles: his 3s so far have produced barely more points per shot than a NAW midranger, which is not what you'd expect.
    You can see that NAW is producing at least 1 point per shot regardless of where he's taking them, which is generally good.
    You can see how Zion's points per shot at the rim isn't the highest on the team, but how his frequency is astronomically high: nobody else gets to the rim as often as he does. You can also see a relatively low volume but reasonably efficient trail of midrangers in Zion's shot profile this season. Of course, this includes runners/floaters/scoop shots as midrangers so it's not like he's hitting Jordan fadeaways every game, but it shows that he has some scoring prowess outside of the restricted area.
    Worryingly, you can see Ingram's lack of rim-frequency as well as his massive reliance on a midrange shot that is the least efficient one he takes.

Been saying for awhile Hayes is raw and looks a little lost at times but the ability is there, the jumper is there, the freakish length and athleticism is there. SVG will work on his D. Now imagine Hayes being 20 pounds heavier and not losing much bounce running the floor with Zion while also shooting 85% from the stripe. I’m just curious who will be the big free agent in the future because the lineup looks set for the future, which it should be because these guys need to develop. I really don’t care about winning games right now, sure it’s great but I wanna see improvement, that coupled with our draft picks we could have a top 5 team in 2-3 years.

Kira
    NAW
    BI
    Zion
    Hayes

Worryingly, you can see Ingram's lack of rim-frequency as well as his massive reliance on a midrange shot that is the least efficient one he takes.
    This may be an old school take, but I think Ingram's midrange game opens the rest of his offense; so I don't necessarily think its a bad shot. Since he's not exceptionally quick, he needs the treat of the mid range in order to keep his defender off balance

I've been trying to tell people for months that people within the organization really like Jax. I think there's people that allowed the Instagram post on the Rookie/Sophomore game completely dissuade them from the idea that Jax could become a good basketball player (which doesn't make much sense to me).

This may surprise people, but using expletives on a social media post doesn't necessarily make you a bad person. Lack of judgement from a 19 year old? Sure. JJ Redick uses expletives in basically every interview and is applauded for it. He's not a dumb kid by any means.

3 years of competitive basketball experience. His ability to rebound outside of his zone is already tremendous. Tracking balls and pulling them down over his shoulder like he's Davante Adams. His main issue is the Pels don't have a guard that can get into the paint consistently enough to get him lobs, but Kira and NAW have both shown positive signs in this regard.

There was A LOT of group think when it came to Jax's abilities and potential, and I'm glad that he's starting to prove some of his skeptics wrong

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    This may be an old school take, but I think Ingram's midrange game opens the rest of his offense; so I don't necessarily think its a bad shot. Since he's not exceptionally quick, he needs the treat of the mid range in order to keep his defender off balance
    There's a difference between having the shot to keep defenses honest, which I absolutely agree is a good thing, and what Ingram does right now, which is take more than three times the volume of shots from the midrange than at the rim.

There's a difference between having the shot to keep defenses honest, which I absolutely agree is a good thing, and what Ingram does right now, which is take more than three times the volume of shots from the midrange than at the rim.
    I don't put as much of the blame there on Ingram as I do on roster construction, which I'm sure you can agree with to an extent. It's nearly impossible for Ingram to get to the rim with the current starting unit.

We can all acknowledge that Ingram's life has been far too difficult this season. His percentage of catch and shoot 3's is down to 16.4% from 28% last season. That's effectively a drop from 5 catch and shoot 3s per game to 3. Inversely, his pull up 3s have risen from 1 to 3. This is both a result of Jrue's departure and Gentry/Finch firings, in my opinion. The Pels desperately need a guard that can shoulder some of the load, as well as set BI up for C&S 3s. He's shooting less than 1 wide open 3 per game on a team with Zion Williamson. That has to change

Did everyone realize who SVG had on the court for the Pelican final possession?

BI
    JJ
    EB
    Kira
    NAW (who got fouled and hit two free throws)

Absent was:

Zion
    Adams
    JH
    JAX

As Dylan says, "The Times -- They are A' Changing".

I don't put as much of the blame there on Ingram as I do on roster construction, which I'm sure you can agree with to an extent. It's nearly impossible for Ingram to get to the rim with the current starting unit.

We can all acknowledge that Ingram's life has been far too difficult this season. His percentage of catch and shoot 3's is down to 16.4% from 28% last season. That's effectively a drop from 5 catch and shoot 3s per game to 3. Inversely, his pull up 3s have risen from 1 to 3. This is both a result of Jrue's departure and Gentry/Finch firings, in my opinion. The Pels desperately need a guard that can shoulder some of the load, as well as set BI up for C&S 3s. He's shooting less than 1 wide open 3 per game on a team with Zion Williamson. That has to change
    Some of that seems to be our lack of any cohherent offense identity. Maybe I don't know enough about basketball to pick up on this team's offensive structure, but it looks like we just let our players take turns playing ISO ball and hope that someone get hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    Some of that seems to be our lack of any cohherent offense identity. Maybe I don't know enough about basketball to pick up on this team's offensive structure, but it looks like we just let our players take turns playing ISO ball and hope that someone get hot.
    In the current version of the NBA, the star on the best teams always has the ball in his hands at the end of a closely contested game. (See: LeBron, Steph, Kawhi, James, KD, Luka, Donovan, Damon, Giannis, etc.)

Oh for sure, I'm not putting all of the blame on Ingram. The offense has been so clunky at times, fairly often he's just taking the shots he can get and he's not bursty or physically strong enough to manufacture at-rim attempts himself on high volume. That's not a huge issue, every player has a few nitpicks, and you can build an offense around that: we just haven't. So it's hurting his performance, at least to some extent.

When I said ''worryingly'', I didn't mean it as in ''worryingly, Ingram is being a big dumb idiot!'', I just meant it as in ''worryingly, the shots we're getting out of our highest frequency scorer are not the best shots for him''.

That's partially why I'm hoping that we can keep feeding minutes to NAW and Kira. Whatever your view on Lonzo, it's clear that he isn't capable of handling a primary initiator role right now: if we want to maximise Ingram, we need to find someone who *is* capable of that.

Should be noted that I don't think anyone is really to blame. The roster just isn't at it's final state right now, and that is fine. We need to be patient

Thread Information