Pelicans Report

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: January 15th - New Orleans Pelicans @ LA Lakers - 4-6

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I like him more than Wesley, although he can tend to repeat himself a bit. But he and Joel are a joy to listen to

They both bring colour and knowledge without being super cringe like the Toronto guys

******** they are insufferable
    He does repeat himself a bit but I really like his enthusiasm. I also like his points

RE: JJ. Father time is undefeated. He is looking like he could be officially be done
    Can we even get a bag of chips for him now?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Can we even get a bag of chips for him now?
    I think we can get a mid to late 30s Kyle Korver type return for him

They're essentially the same guy

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    He does repeat himself a bit but I really like his enthusiasm. I also like his points
    Agreed

Could go easy on the KYP but that's nit picking

I like how he doesn't always blindly agree with Joel either, which Wesley kind of did

I think we can get a mid to late 30s Kyle Korver type return for him

They're essentially the same guy
    Korver's final season, aged 38, he shot 41.8% from 3 on 4.1 attempts per game.

JJ right now is shooting 29.5% from 3 on 5.5 per game, aged 36

I wish JJ was basically the same guy as final-season Korver lmao

Edit: in fact, did Korver even officially retire? Trade JJ for scraps, sign Korver on the min. Even if he sucks, he can't be worse than JJ has been doing right now, and if he's good then he's basically JJ but taller, in that they're both ineffective 1v1 defenders who are kind of okay at team defense who are efficient from 3 and the FT line and move a ton off ball, with acceptable passing.
    Basketball.

Shame.

I for one will welcome back our Tank Commander in chief

I hope SVG is seen as a more of a short term coach to help with out development. He’s got a winning record in this league and is known for being a tough coach to play for. I see him as someone that can help these young guys develop especially on defense. Then when we get closer to contention, we get us someone better cause we will have a more attractive situation here. Well at least this is my hope lol.

The season is still young and we didn’t have much of a camp. I still really like the roster.

Center - we good with Adams, Hayes, Zion, Hernangomez

Power forward - Zion, Melli, Gabriel, I think we need a vet for Zion to learn from. A stretch 4 is nice to have especially when we have Adams & Hayes at center, but I rather an accomplished vet more than anything. I can’t wait to see what Gabriel has to offer cause Melli shouldn’t be getting minutes right now.

Small forward- BI, that’s really all we have at the 3. We need a true backup 3, but we can get by with Hart playing there.

Shooting guard - Redick, Hart, NAW, JJ won’t be here next year. Hopefully we can flip him for something in return. The guy can still shoot even though he has had some struggles early on this year. You don’t just lose your ability to shoot especially someone that is great at it like him. I think NAW can be a special player and will likely be the future starter unless they see him more as a point guard. I see him more as a combo guard. I hope we can keep Hart here to be our long term 6th man.

Point guard- Lonzo, Bledsoe, Kira, I don’t want to keep Lonzo at all. We would be nuts to sign him long term. We need to trade him for something. I like Bledsoe, but he’s so inconsistent. When he has his head on straight and is confident, he’s pretty damn good. I would like to keep him till Kira is ready. Kira is the future at the position and looks like a DeAaron Fox type of point guard with blazing speed, but with a better shot. He truly excites me.

So IMO we need to hopefully get a lotto pick and take the best wing available whether he be a 2 or 3. Then add a veteran power forward to backup Zion and I think our roster could be set for the next 5 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    I hope we can keep Hart here to be our long term 6th man.
    I know Hart is a fan favorite here but I am actually not so sold on him. It all depends on how much money we would have to pay him. He is just not good enough on the offensive end

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    I know Hart is a fan favorite here but I am actually not so sold on him. It all depends on how much money we would have to pay him. He is just not good enough on the offensive end
    Yeah if he was a slightly better shooter he'd be awesome and I'd be up to keep him. Since, he's not I'll be up for trading him in order for the team to get better in other areas.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    Yeah if he was a slightly better shooter he'd be awesome and I'd be up to keep him. Since, he's not I'll be up for trading him in order for the team to get better in other areas.
    Should have demanded Caruso in the trade

Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that views JH more as an asset than a keeper.

I like Hart, I value what he does, but he's not indispensable. I'd be open to moving him depending on the deal, even if I'm not desperate to move him either.

Can we go back and get Caruso instead of Hart

FIRST 11 GAMES REPORT CARD

Center: I love the way Adams plays. I say that with the full knowledge that it is difficult for Zion, BI, and him to co-exist on a championship team. Pleased to see that JAXSON is much more active on the boards than last year and want him to develop that face up game he teases us with from time to time. At this point, he also show glimpses of some astute play-making skills (passing). Note: Adams' game is not made for this team long term (it pains me to say this). Overall Grade: B

Power Forward: The upside is huge for Zion, but the downside is scary deep. Right now he is no match for the Anthony Davis', the Giannis', the KDs', or even the Julius Randals' of the NBA World on the defensive end. Melli is dead weight. It would be unfair of me to opine on Gabriel as I haven't seen enough. NOTE: I would like to see JAXSON log a few minutes once in awhile at the 4 so he can develop that face up game. Overall Grade: C-

Small Forward: At 23, the sky is the limit for BI, but he is not without flaws at present. Very loose with the rock and tends to make 'head scratching' decisions in the clutch. There is also some holes in his defense, though I sense that he is improving. He has a great intermediate game that will get him to the hole with regularity if the Pelicans can ever stretch the floor. It might be harsh, but there seems to be no other NBA talent on the team for this position at present. NOTE: I would like to see Zion log some minutes at the 3. It would force him to improve his defensive footwork and positioning. Overall Grade: C+

Shooting Guard: At present the group (discounting NAW) is woefully erratic (being generous). Redick is trying to outrun (or is it out-gun) Father Time and seems to be losing that race miserably. Hart is tireless worker whose energy makes him passable, but whose shot selection and decision-making (at times) is certainly not NBA-worthy. Bledsoe would make a decent back up, but his motor doesn't seem to consistently fire on all cylinders (does he want to be here?). While the jury is still out on him defensively, NAW looks to be a possible long term answer to this critical position. NOTE: I would love to see our 6'7'' All Star get some minutes here. Overall Grade C-

PG: I have yet to see a playmaker in the lot. Unless we develop Kira, I'm afraid this position will retard the development of this team for the foreseeable future. NOTE: I gave Lonzo every benefit of a doubt and he has proven me dead wrong. Overall Grade: D
    Last edited by As I See It; 01-16-2021 at 08:47 PM.

Can we go back and get Caruso instead of Hart
    I’m not sure if you are being serious but I do like Caruso’s game

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    SVG offense is dinosaur age and young stars still learning to keep making the best play each possession even when momentum is with the other team. Still too early to tell but honestly our offense is soooo predictable I think it contributes to the turnover problem.
    Honestly, I wonder if SVG was just a bad hire for this young team. The NBA has changed tremendously since he coached and he is trying to take our young players and make them play a style from 8-10 years ago. The pace is terrible for our team. Gentry's was way too fast, but this is way too slow, especially with a lack of spacing in the half court.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Honestly, I wonder if SVG was just a bad hire for this young team. The NBA has changed tremendously since he coached and he is trying to take our young players and make them play a style from 8-10 years ago. The pace is terrible for our team. Gentry's was way too fast, but this is way too slow, especially with a lack of spacing in the half court.
    With how the team has made strides in rebounding and some fundamentals aspects. A lot of things will take time for it to come together. I find SVG probably a solid developmental coach. Which these guys desperately need. Hayes has grown more in 11 games with SVG than he did in his 40 with Gentry.

SVG game management is my biggest issues and he's pretty honest in interviews about his lackluster performance in games. It seems like he is really rusty and out of sorts from not coaching NBA basketball games. I just hope he can get zoned in and adapt.

The biggest takeaway is that I've seen growth from our young core and that's was my biggest concern with SVG when we hired him. I'm fine with losing if we atleast get some positive development out of our young guys.

We need to cut dead weight and just commit to our young guys getting heavy earned minutes. But they do have to earn them, because that's how you build a culture.
    Last edited by Taker597; 01-17-2021 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    With how the team has made strides in rebounding and some fundamentals aspects. A lot of things will take time for it to come together. I find SVG probably a solid developmental coach. Which these guys desperately need. Hayes grown more in 11 games with SVG than he did in his 40 with Gentry.

SVG game management is my biggest issues and he's pretty honest in interviews aboit his performance in games and seems like he really rusty and out of sorts from not NBA coaching basketball games. I just hope he can get zoned in and adapt.

The biggest takeaway is that I've seen growth from our young core and that's was my biggest concern with SVG. I'm fine with losing if we atleast get some development out if our young guys.

We need to cut dead weight and just commit to our young guys getting heavy earned minutes.
    I totally agree with you. While today's NBA 'one-and-done' athletic marvels may have all the necessary athletic skills to compete in the NBA, they simply have not availed themselves to multiple years of NCAA-like coaching (or competition). Therefore, their games, in general, are extremely raw, immature, and not nearly as developed as a generation ago. Unlike his predecessor, SVG is an instructor first; not a friend drinking buddy, or dad....which should be exactly what a young 20 year old should pine for and be excited to have (even if he throws temper tantrums along the way).

I think the defensive mindset that SVG is instilling into this team is precisely what it needs (an 11 game sample suggests the team is responding despite the growing pains). Van Gundy's effect will benefit the team's players, both individually and collectively, whether he is a long-term fit or not. In any team sport, offense sells tickets, but defense wins championships.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    If it all gets put together...he could be scratching the surface. It's all on the young dude's mental make up. Will he develop that next levelness? CAN you develop such a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    If it all gets put together...he could be scratching the surface. It's all on the young dude's mental make up. Will he develop that next levelness? CAN you develop such a thing?
    You definitely can

It's gonna get harder for him in the playoffs when the defensive intensity ramps up, unless he develops some sort of game that doesn't involve scoring directly at the rim

Thread Information