Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: January 13th - New Orleans Pelicans @ LA Clippers - 4-5

Also, Kira logged 6 drives in 15 minutes of play.

For comparison, Lonzo averages 6 per game in 34 minutes a night.

Team leaders in drives (per36):

Bledsoe: 13.7
    Nickeil: 12.4
    Ingram: 11.6
    Kira: 10.8
    Zion: 8.03
    Lonzo: 6.4
    Hart: 2.3
    Redick: 2.3

So you can see that, per minute, Nickeil and Kira are already two of our five most consistent drivers. Sorry Lonzo.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

This is part of why I don't like looking at raw assist numbers to judge playmaking. Kira had a bunch of ''assists'' that just never happened because nobody could shoot; phantom assists.

On a side note, check out Jax's potential assists! Dude was hooping. Same game he had 4 screen assists (Adams led the team, with 9), led the team in deflections with 3, and logged 5 box-outs (Adams led the team with 6).
    Do your numbers speak to the quality of the passes? I can argue that JAXSON passes are often misguided but do lead to a shot. Does a wild pass at Hart's feet that leads to missed shot, account for a missed assist? ....or a wild bailout three attempt from BI account for a missed assist?

Kira did look super comfortable out there last night, I was surprised. You can already tell that he may have the best handle on the team.

This is part of why I don't like looking at raw assist numbers to judge playmaking. Kira had a bunch of ''assists'' that just never happened because nobody could shoot; phantom assists.

On a side note, check out Jax's potential assists! Dude was hooping. Same game he had 4 screen assists (Adams led the team, with 9), led the team in deflections with 3, and logged 5 box-outs (Adams led the team with 6).
    Where did you get these stats

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Where did you get these stats
    They're all available on NBA.com/stats

You can search up all manner of stats: hustle stats, clutch statistics, efficiency sorted by play-types (pick and roll ball handler, pick and roll roll man, transition, isolation, spot up, hand off, etc), tracking stats for splitting shooting into pull-ups and C&S attempts, et cetera. So much information on there, it's a good site to get to grips with.

Lewis's burst gonna put a lot of dudes into foul trouble.

I'd like to see Kira and Zion on the floor together.

If lonzo keeps laying eggs in competitive games he'll be traded before you know it. I'd keep Bledsoe cause at least when he's aggresive, he's decent and can teach up Kira a bit. However, with Lonzo he's terrible cause his decision making has made no significant progress since forever ago. Sure his shot and scoring has improved, but that doesn't make up the End game decisions, turnovers, indecisive driving, that non effective floater, bad transition defense, etc. He's not the person for this team at all. So I say trade him and JJ while they're value is still decent and maybe get us a few young pieces and draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    If lonzo keeps laying eggs in competitive games he'll be traded before you know it. I'd keep Bledsoe cause at least when he's aggresive, he's decent and can teach up Kira a bit. However, with Lonzo he's terrible cause his decision making has made no significant progress since forever ago. Sure his shot and scoring has improved, but that doesn't make up the End game decisions, turnovers, indecisive driving, that non effective floater, bad transition defense, etc. He's not the person for this team at all. So I say trade him and JJ while they're value is still decent and maybe get us a few young pieces and draft picks.
    Much like Bledsoe... I don't think there is a single team wanting to buy into Lonzo right now. Except maybe the super awful like Detroit.

Lonzo has like the worst kind of skillset for a team to invest. There are positive and negative player. He's like a straight up Net Zero player.

Can't make FTs. So, he's too scared to drive. When he drives... He has zero moves to make contested shots. So, he either misses, gets blocked, or worse... get sent to the FT line to split throws. His 3pt shot is all rhythm. So, he has wild spurts and his spacing is simply through volume. He runs offense like it's rec ball league and he constantly gets caught in low IQ positioning on defense.

He doesn't really provide much synergy on offense outside of pocket passes and making shots at horrible efficiency. His on ball defense is really boom or bust while his off ball is simply okay.

Provides no true spacing, no moves or unique shot in his bag, his shot is all rhythm, and his defense is simply mediocre at best. He really can't facilitate consistently and his half court vision is abysmal at time.

That’s just not a worthwhile starter in this league. You maybe be able to off load him for a new fax machine. Player or picks... Nothing worthwhile. Probably a bad multi-year bench player contract in return at best.
    Last edited by Taker597; 01-14-2021 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    Kira did look super comfortable out there last night, I was surprised. You can already tell that he may have the best handle on the team.
    Reminds me of De'Aaron Fox super quick and can shoot. He is tiny though defense will be a challenge for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    NAW is clearly the best guard on our team, and there is no excuse for him not to be our starting SG.
    Lonzo would be better coming off the bench. NAW just has to much upside to be wasting sitting. I doubt if Lonzo is here next year should just go with NAW going forward.

I love to see the young guys get minutes and kill it. It’s unfortunate that we have to phase the likes of Bledsoe out until his contract runs or we find a suitable trade partner. And if I’m being honest- Bled isn’t getting anyone excited for a trade. He just isn’t consistent enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Wecandothis View Post
    Reminds me of De'Aaron Fox super quick and can shoot. He is tiny though defense will be a challenge for him.
    He's got a thin frame but he's actually 6'3 with a plus wingspan, so a reasonable size for a point guard, and had a strong defensive profile in college. He has a good natural feel for reading passing lanes and he tends to really give effort, with a high defensive motor; at least, that's what he did in college. I have faith that if he puts in the work (and I have no reason to think he won't) that he will be at least an okay defender at the PG position, even if he's not super switchy or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Much like Bledsoe... I don't think there is a single team wanting to buy into Lonzo right now. Except maybe the super awful like Detroit.

Lonzo has like the worst kind of skillset for a team to invest. There are positive and negative player. He's like a straight up Net Zero player.

Can't make FTs. So, he's too scared to drive. When he drives... He has zero moves to make contested shots. So, he either misses, gets blocked, or worse... get sent to the FT line to split throws. His 3pt shot is all rhythm. So, he has wild spurts and his spacing is simply through volume. He runs offense like it's rec ball league and he constantly gets caught in low IQ positioning on defense.

He doesn't really provide much synergy on offense outside of pocket passes and making shots at horrible efficiency. His on ball defense is really boom or bust while his off ball is simply okay.

Provides no true spacing, no moves or unique shot in his bag, his shot is all rhythm, and his defense is simply mediocre at best. He really can't facilitate consistently and his half court vision is abysmal at time.

That’s just not a worthwhile starter in this league. You maybe be able to off load him for a new fax machine. Player or picks... Nothing worthwhile. Probably a bad multi-year bench player contract in return at best.
    Add to all of that that, for someone with such great passing touch, he's surprisingly terrible at entry passes, which is unfortunate given the existence of Zion.

For me, the hope is that some team like New York still buys some of his hype, but even that's looking increasingly unlikely.

Add to all of that that, for someone with such great passing touch, he's surprisingly terrible at entry passes, which is unfortunate given the existence of Zion.

For me, the hope is that some team like New York still buys some of his hype, but even that's looking increasingly unlikely.
    He also provides absolutely no off ball movement. It's so frustrating watching a guy stand still for entire possessions over and over again unless he has the ball. If you watch NAW, he never stops moving.

Adams is soooo good at screening off ball, so it's maddening that the starting guards can neither shoot off a screen nor even move a little bit to open up space for others who can.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    If he would've scored 40+ and won the game, that would've been easily one of my favorite games as a fan. He's so fun to watch when he gets going.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post

Adams is soooo good at screening off ball, so it's maddening that the starting guards can neither shoot off a screen nor even move a little bit to open up space for others who can.
    Adams's ability to to always get amazing positioning off ball on offense and defense is art in motion. It's so great that he gets me sooo salty when we jack up threes. With a little bit of motion, Adams can be a walking 18 ppg on assist.

It’s sad that this teams needs injuries to let the youngest play and shine.

Rockets really goofed up that trade. Wow... What a bad return.

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    It’s sad that this teams needs injuries to let the youngest play and shine.
    I wouldn't really say it's sad. There's something to be said for the amount of talent that we've accumulated on this roster, specifically at the guard position.

The big issue is that most of that talent is in the form of 6-7-8th men, and none have really stood out as starters. It's a step up from the days of starting Jordan Crawford and Langston Galloway, but there's a definite need for difference makers at the position. Here's to hoping NAW and/or Kira can be that guy.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Do your numbers speak to the quality of the passes? I can argue that JAXSON passes are often misguided but do lead to a shot. Does a wild pass at Hart's feet that leads to missed shot, account for a missed assist? ....or a wild bailout three attempt from BI account for a missed assist?

context does mean something...

Is anyone else a bit worried about Josh Hart as a shooter?

Last 4 seasons from 3:
    39.6%
    33.6%
    34.2%
    32.5% (this season)

If he can't hit over 36% of his threes, is he a fit on this team? Is he worth the MLE?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar

Last 4 seasons from 3:
    39.6%
    33.6%
    34.2%
    32.5% (this season)

If he can't hit over 36% of his threes, is he a fit on this team? Is he worth the MLE?

He really needs to improve his 3pt %.

Last 4 seasons from 3:
    39.6%
    33.6%
    34.2%
    32.5% (this season)

He’s a cornerstone benchplayer and those numbers are fine. He also provides more than just 3pt shooting. He'll turn it around.

Last 4 seasons from 3:
    39.6%
    33.6%
    34.2%
    32.5% (this season)

I've been very disappointed in his decision making. Going one or three, with a success rate of 20%, is not smart basketball.

Thread Information