Pelicans Report

Thread: Ball for Ball?

Trade Idea Ball for Ball?

Do you think we could Lamelo and a 1st for Lonzo?

Absolutely not.

Charlotte would be insane to do it. LaMelo is so much more promising than Lonzo that it's absurd, and the additional first from them is beyond the pale. If anything, we'd have to throw in firsts.
    Basketball.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Absolutely not.

Charlotte would be insane to do it. LaMelo is so much more promising than Lonzo that it's absurd, and the additional first from them is beyond the pale. If anything, we'd have to throw in firsts.
    LaMelo is gonna be a triple double machine.

It's like LaVar ironed out all of the dumb mistakes he made with Lonzo (Making him shoot with a regulation ball as a kid, which led to his "catapult" shot form).

He schooled his older brother, and almost got a triple double against him. Then he goes out tonight and gets one against the Hawks.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    LaMelo is gonna be a triple double machine.

It's like LaVar ironed out all of the dumb mistakes he made with Lonzo (Making him shoot with a regulation ball as a kid, which led to his "catapult" shot form).

He schooled his older brother, and almost got a triple double against him. Then he goes out tonight and gets one against the Hawks.
    I mean, he still made plenty of mistakes with LaMelo. Melo never played any defense at all, and was never asked to, until he got to Australia, and he was encouraged to take half court shots since he was extremely young. There was that famous clip years ago of Melo at Chino Hills where people noticed he was cherry picking like 10 times a game, where he was being allowed to not even cross halfcourt on defense and just wait for guys to throw him the ball early next play on offense.

LaMelo is going to be a triple double machine, but I would hope after years of Westbrook doing his thing, people are aware by now exactly how little that can mean.

This isn't to bag on Melo. I said pre-draft that if he could iron out his mistakes he has the highest ceiling in this class, and I still believe that; the passing is legitimately special and there are other positive signs. But he has a long way to go, and it's not like he's just the mistake-free Lonzo. Very different players in a lot of ways, and LaMelo has his own unique array of issues.

OP, put yourself in the minds of the Charlotte FO

This thought experiment is over before it began

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I mean, he still made plenty of mistakes with LaMelo. Melo never played any defense at all, and was never asked to, until he got to Australia, and he was encouraged to take half court shots since he was extremely young. There was that famous clip years ago of Melo at Chino Hills where people noticed he was cherry picking like 10 times a game, where he was being allowed to not even cross halfcourt on defense and just wait for guys to throw him the ball early next play on offense.

LaMelo is going to be a triple double machine, but I would hope after years of Westbrook doing his thing, people are aware by now exactly how little that can mean.

This isn't to bag on Melo. I said pre-draft that if he could iron out his mistakes he has the highest ceiling in this class, and I still believe that; the passing is legitimately special and there are other positive signs. But he has a long way to go, and it's not like he's just the mistake-free Lonzo. Very different players in a lot of ways, and LaMelo has his own unique array of issues.
    LaMelo has an array of issues?

Lonzo must have infinite multiverses of issues in comparison

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    LaMelo has an array of issues?

Lonzo must have infinite multiverses of issues in comparison
    Well yeah obviously, Melo is a better prospect. But there are legitimate reasons that he wasn't the surefire Number 1 pick on everyone's boards prior to this draft.

This board likes LaMelo now?

Did not tank well enough last season. Imagine is we had Wiseman.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    This board likes LaMelo now?
    My perspective on Lamelo was always that he had the highest level single skill in the draft (his outlier passing) but that the rest of his game was massively suspect and would need major work.

That is still largely true. But he has shown signs of improvement, most notably in his core strength which has helped him stop fading habitually on his jumpers. The issues are still there but there's evidence of progress in some of his weaker areas, which was precisely the caveat that was needed.

Drafting him was always a gamble because you were betting on whether or not he would make these leaps, especially early, but the upside was always there.

Quote Originally Posted by stevemadden504 View Post
    Do you think we could Lamelo and a 1st for Lonzo?
    Why would the Hornets even consider that?

Basketball Guru
    this trade should be in the insane trades thread lol....

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Did not tank well enough last season. Imagine is we had Wiseman.
    Also Wiseman has not been very good.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Probably the worst trade proposal I've ever seen on this site.

Thread Information